    comments?
    Thanks
    , Jul 18, 2007

  2. Charles Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:13:54 -0700, wrote:

    >I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    >not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    >attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    >inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    >and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    >I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    >the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    >comments?
    >Thanks

    Mine have electrical contacts for that purpose. Even more mechanical
    isolation.
    Charles, Jul 18, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    > and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    > I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    > the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > comments?
    > Thanks

    Some cameras offer an infra-red remote control instead. I've seen this on
    both Nikon compact cameras and their DSLRs.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 18, 2007
  4. Pete D Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:t8ini.25814$...
    > wrote:
    >> I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    >> not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    >> attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    >> inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    >> and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    >> I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    >> the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    >> comments?
    >> Thanks

    > Some cameras offer an infra-red remote control instead. I've seen this on
    > both Nikon compact cameras and their DSLRs.
    >
    > David

    The good ones have both.
    Pete D, Jul 18, 2007
  5. Gladiator Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:09:29 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >Some cameras offer an infra-red remote control instead. I've seen this on
    >both Nikon compact cameras and their DSLRs.
    >
    >David

    My old Olympus 2020Z has one but I never use it.
    Gladiator, Jul 18, 2007
  6. Re: Do people still use a shutter release cable in digital cameraage?

    wrote:
    > I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    > and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    > I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    > the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > comments?
    > Thanks

    Of course cables are used but they're all electronic these days.
    Richard Polhill, Jul 18, 2007
  7. harrogate3 Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:13:54 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some

    (if
    > >not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > >attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > >inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become

    obsolete
    > >and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful,

    as
    > >I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure

    that
    > >the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > >comments?
    > >Thanks

    > Mine have electrical contacts for that purpose. Even more

    mechanical
    > isolation.

    Most can handle a dedicated (read expensive) infra red remote, and
    some are now coming with Bluetooth capability.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
    harrogate3, Jul 18, 2007
  8. Jonathan Guest

    wrote:
    > I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    > and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    > I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    > the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > comments?
    > Thanks

    I use mine all the time with my Nikon. I just ordered the IR remote last
    night.
    Jonathan, Jul 18, 2007
  9. Trev Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    > and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    > I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    > the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > comments?
    > Thanks

    I was surprised to find my Fuji S9600 use's a cable release, It also took
    some searching to find it amongst my old Photo Kit.
    Most digital Cameras use a electronic remote be it wire. Wireless or Infer
    Red.
    Trev, Jul 18, 2007
  10. wrote:
    > I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable.

    Well, that's sort of obsolete with electronic remote release systems. Common
    are cable, infrared, and computer controlled (via USB).

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 18, 2007
  11. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    > and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    > I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    > the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > comments?
    > Thanks

    Cameras at the 'pro' level usually have a remote that can trigger a
    picture without the hazard of a cable connection.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 18, 2007
  12. Re: Do people still use a shutter release cable in digital cameraage?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    >> not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    >> attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    >> inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    >> and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    >> I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    >> the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    >> comments?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Cameras at the 'pro' level usually have a remote that can trigger a
    > picture without the hazard of a cable connection.

    Imagine: being killed by 6 inches of cable.
    Richard Polhill, Jul 18, 2007
  13. C J Campbell Guest

    Re: Do people still use a shutter release cable in digital camera age?

    On 2007-07-18 07:48:22 -0700, Richard Polhill
    <> said:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    >>> not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    >>> attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    >>> inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    >>> and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    >>> I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    >>> the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    >>> comments?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Cameras at the 'pro' level usually have a remote that can trigger a
    >> picture without the hazard of a cable connection.

    > Imagine: being killed by 6 inches of cable.

    The cable itself can introduce some vibration. Wireless is better.
    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, Jul 18, 2007
  14. C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-07-17 21:13:54 -0700, said:

    > I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    > and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    > I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    > the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > comments?
    > Thanks

    The newer cameras use electronic shutter release devices. No mechanical cable.
    C J Campbell, Jul 18, 2007
  15. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    > not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    > attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    > inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    > and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    > I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    > the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    > comments?
    > Thanks

    For that purpose, use the timer that most digicams have.
    Marvin, Jul 18, 2007
  16. Ron Hunter Guest

    Richard Polhill wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    >>> not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    >>> attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    >>> inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    >>> and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    >>> I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    >>> the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    >>> comments?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Cameras at the 'pro' level usually have a remote that can trigger a
    >> picture without the hazard of a cable connection.

    > Imagine: being killed by 6 inches of cable.

    Unlikely, but one could pull the camera and tripod over....
    Ron Hunter, Jul 18, 2007
  17. Ron Hunter Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2007-07-18 07:48:22 -0700, Richard Polhill
    > <> said:
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Cameras at the 'pro' level usually have a remote that can trigger a
    >>> picture without the hazard of a cable connection.

    >> Imagine: being killed by 6 inches of cable.

    > The cable itself can introduce some vibration. Wireless is better.

    Yes, the cable release is basically a flexible rod in a sheath that
    presses the button, and that can introduce motion.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 18, 2007
  18. Re: Do people still use a shutter release cable in digital camera age?

    Richard Polhill <> observed
    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I seem to notice that the advance digital cameras, as well as some (if
    >>> not all) models and brands for the DSLR do not have a screw-in
    >>> attachement for a shutter release cable. I wonder if this is an
    >>> inconvinience for some photographers, or does it now become obsolete
    >>> and not needed anymore? Personally, I found this device is useful, as
    >>> I recall that using the cable release and a tripod will make sure that
    >>> the camera does not move when you push the trigger button. Any
    >>> comments?
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Cameras at the 'pro' level usually have a remote that can trigger a
    >>picture without the hazard of a cable connection.

    >Imagine: being killed by 6 inches of cable.

    I never had a cable release less than 15" long, 6" is useless. ;-)

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><
    Michael J Davis, Jul 18, 2007
  19. Neil Ellwood Guest

    Re: Do people still use a shutter release cable in digital cameraage?

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:00:57 -0500
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > > The cable itself can introduce some vibration. Wireless is better.

    > Yes, the cable release is basically a flexible rod in a sheath that
    > presses the button, and that can introduce motion.

    Only if it is used badly. Always use a cable release with a gentle bend
    over its length, never use it straight to the release as that will
    often introduce unwanted movement.
    --
    Neil
    Reverse ie and delete l for email.
    Neil Ellwood, Jul 18, 2007
  20. Allen Guest

    Michael J Davis wrote:
    > Richard Polhill <> observed
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Cameras at the 'pro' level usually have a remote that can trigger a
    >>> picture without the hazard of a cable connection.

    >> Imagine: being killed by 6 inches of cable.

    > I never had a cable release less than 15" long, 6" is useless. ;-)
    >
    > Mike
    > [The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]

    I had (perhaps still have) a CR 6 or 8 inches long, but I didn't use it
    often; that was back when Super-XX (equivalent to ASA 100) was the
    fastest film available with reason able grain. I really miss the IR
    remote that I had for my EOS Elan--in a case that attached to the neck
    strap and was totally unobtrusive. I wish there were something like that
    for my S3 IS. That was by far the handiest device of that sort that I
    have ever had.
    Allen
    Allen, Jul 18, 2007