    more convenient.
    Thanks for info.

    , May 31, 2007

  2. RockyZ Guest

    On 30 May 2007 20:21:28 -0700, wrote:

    >I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
    >models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
    >With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
    >image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
    >(P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
    >expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
    >I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
    >software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
    >more convenient.
    >Thanks for info.

    While it's a fun feature to have (I have a camera with it) for a party for
    people to play with it, or just playing around with it myself when bored, I
    really don't see it as any kind of necessity. "Color Accent" is a gimmick to
    bring attention to a subject when your normal photography and composition skills
    aren't good enough to accomplish that task. No different than photographers that
    have to stoop to effects like zoom-blur or radial-blur or even (groan)
    fog-filters with a clear central area. You might as well just smear some grease
    around the edges of a clear filter to bring attention to your subject if you're
    that desperate to have someone notice your mundane subjects and mediocre
    compositions. I've never used the "Color Accent" in my camera other than to see
    it work a few times. I guess I just can't lower myself to having to result to
    using a cheap gimmick like other "photographers" use. The next thing you know
    they'll be using something as ridiculous as that "LensBaby" toy in conjunction
    with "Color Accent", revealing their total lack of talent even further -- a
    scream of desperation.

    RockyZ, May 31, 2007

  3. Re: Do other cameras have built-in feature similar to "Color accent"scene in some Canon DCs?

    RockyZ wrote:
    > On 30 May 2007 20:21:28 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
    >> models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
    >> With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
    >> image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
    >> (P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
    >> expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
    >> I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
    >> software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
    >> more convenient.
    >> Thanks for info.

    > While it's a fun feature to have (I have a camera with it) for a party for
    > people to play with it, or just playing around with it myself when bored, I
    > really don't see it as any kind of necessity. "Color Accent" is a gimmick to
    > bring attention to a subject when your normal photography and composition skills
    > aren't good enough to accomplish that task. No different than photographers that
    > have to stoop to effects like zoom-blur or radial-blur or even (groan)
    > fog-filters with a clear central area. You might as well just smear some grease
    > around the edges of a clear filter to bring attention to your subject if you're
    > that desperate to have someone notice your mundane subjects and mediocre
    > compositions. I've never used the "Color Accent" in my camera other than to see
    > it work a few times. I guess I just can't lower myself to having to result to
    > using a cheap gimmick like other "photographers" use. The next thing you know
    > they'll be using something as ridiculous as that "LensBaby" toy in conjunction
    > with "Color Accent", revealing their total lack of talent even further -- a
    > scream of desperation.

    Harsh but fair.

    Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.

    Richard Polhill, May 31, 2007
  4. bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    > I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
    > models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
    > With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
    > image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
    > (P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
    > expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
    > I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
    > software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
    > more convenient.

    Disagree. The processing and tweaking options
    in a computer based package (there are many)
    vastly outweigh what the camera can do, and
    can be accessed from a much more convenient
    user interface (large display, full keyboard, mouse)

    BugBear

    bugbear, May 31, 2007
  5. Bates Guest

    On May 30, 11:21 pm, wrote:
    > I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
    > models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
    > With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
    > image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
    > (P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
    > expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
    > I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
    > software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
    > more convenient.
    > Thanks for info.

    I always love how people cannot seem to just answer the question being
    asked but rather have to berate the OP instead. It's fine to share
    your opinion but at least do the person a favour and try to answer the
    question.

    Most if not all of the new Canon P&S models have this feature (both my
    S80 and my SD650 have it). I do not belive the dSLRs do though (I
    don't have one - Yet). The XTi for example has picture styles
    settings - but they relate more to colour saturation and accuracy, and
    do not necessarily allow the function you are looking for.

    Now in regards to the comments on the effect's usefulness - if you
    like it use it and don't worry about other people's opinions. Now if
    you are looking for a better way to get the same effect, then sure
    take some advice from people who have done this other ways. I agree
    there are probably more effective ways to do the work in something
    like Photoshop or Photopaint (as you yourself have mentioned), but
    heck - it is much quicker to do in the camera. And if I am not
    mistaken (I have not used this feature in a while) the Canon P&S's
    will actually save both a "normal" image and the modified - colour
    accent image. So really what is the harm - if you like the effect,
    great - if you think you could have done better with software after
    the fact - go back to the original and do it.

    Bates....

    Bates, May 31, 2007
  6. Rudy Lacchin Guest

    "RockyZ" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 May 2007 20:21:28 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > "Color Accent" is a gimmick to
    > bring attention to a subject when your normal photography and composition
    > skills
    > aren't good enough to accomplish that task... if you're
    > that desperate to have someone notice your mundane subjects and mediocre
    > compositions... revealing their total lack of talent even further -- a
    > scream of desperation.

    So you're saying that people who have little or no talent for photography
    shouldn't... what? Enjoy taking pictures? Own a camera at all?

    R.

    Rudy Lacchin, May 31, 2007
  7. moe & helen Guest

    ROCKYZ !!!! PLEASE tell us were we can view some of your amazing
    photographic talent !!!!

    Post some pics ( that YOU'VE taken :)

    moe & helen, May 31, 2007
  8. ben brugman Guest

    Re: Do other cameras have built-in feature similar to "Color accent" scene in some Canon DCs?

    > Harsh but fair.
    >
    > Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.

    Yes you could, but the total system to get this result will cost a number of
    times the cost of the camera.
    Although I do not consider such a feature usefull, there are people with
    digital camera's, but without Photoshop or even without a PC.

    So for some people these features are usefull, do not compare these features
    with products costing a lot more.

    ben

    ben brugman, May 31, 2007
  9. Trev Guest

    "ben brugman" <> wrote in message

    >> Harsh but fair.
    >>
    >> Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.

    > Yes you could, but the total system to get this result will cost a number
    > of times the cost of the camera.
    > Although I do not consider such a feature usefull, there are people with
    > digital camera's, but without Photoshop or even without a PC.
    >
    > So for some people these features are usefull, do not compare these
    > features with products costing a lot more.
    >
    > ben

    There you are then I knew PSP was best

    Trev, May 31, 2007
  10. cgiorgio Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I notice that Canon G7, as well as a few other Canon compact digital
    > models has this feature, which can be set before a photo is taken.
    > With color accent, you can choose one color only to be present in the
    > image, while the other colors will be in B&W. Does Nikon compact
    > (P5000, etc), or Lumix (FZ7, FZ50, etc) has this feature? Any more
    > expensive DSLR cameras have this feature? perhaps in some Canon DSLR?
    > I believe that you can also create this effect afterwards in a
    > software, but the built-in feature in Canon compact would be much
    > more convenient.
    > Thanks for info.

    Yes, other manufacturer's cameras also offer rather useless features,
    frequently in the "scene mode" menu.
    If the G7 permitted to store pictures in raw format, that might allow to
    salvage otherwise pretty bad shots in post processing. This "color accent"
    option allows to make sure a shot's results are fully useless even when post
    processing is applied. Also the options for color to black and white
    conversion are limited that way. To take useless, tasteless ugly pictures I
    would personally prefer a cheaper model than the G7, but that is perhaps
    just my personal taste. My suggestion is to shoot in normal color mode. At
    least when using any decent image editing program (including Canon Arc Soft
    Studio), post processing on a PC offers much more flexibility to "uglyfy"
    your digital photos.

    cgiorgio, May 31, 2007
  11. RockyZ Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 16:26:56 GMT, "Rudy Lacchin"
    <> wrote:

    >"RockyZ" <> wrote in message
    >> On 30 May 2007 20:21:28 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >> "Color Accent" is a gimmick to
    >> bring attention to a subject when your normal photography and composition
    >> skills
    >> aren't good enough to accomplish that task... if you're
    >> that desperate to have someone notice your mundane subjects and mediocre
    >> compositions... revealing their total lack of talent even further -- a
    >> scream of desperation.

    >So you're saying that people who have little or no talent for photography
    >shouldn't... what? Enjoy taking pictures? Own a camera at all?
    >
    >R.

    No, I'm saying that people who have little or no talent for photography should
    have their access to any photography equipment taken away from them and be
    imprisoned for life if they ever have the audacity to want to show their
    photography to anyone else. No different than some fool that picks up a decent
    violin and stands on a street-corner while continually making that instrument
    sound like a dying cat. But they insist the whole world has to listen to that
    gawd-awful noise of theirs. I keep a gun handy for situations like that. I may
    never pull the trigger but it helps me cope with those idiots, knowing that I
    could put them out of everyone's misery (that they create) if I wanted to.

    Go ahead, enjoy that violin (camera), but at least have the decency and respect
    for others to do it in a 100% soundproof room (never show your photography to
    ANYONE, EVER) for the rest of your life.

    Camera-toting talentless-hack shows you a photograph and asks, "Do you think
    this is a good photograph and/or technique?"

    Translation: "This photography is horse-shit, and I already know that. But I
    want you to tell me it doesn't stink to high-heaven while I waste your valuable
    time and offend you deeply with my total lack of talent and total disrespect for
    everyone."

    If you are any kind of photographer at all you'll KNOW when it's safe to show
    one of your images to another without offending everyone and without having to
    ask. Unfortunately 99.9999% of the people that buy a camera today are never
    bright enough to know this. Imagine the same scenario if those very same people
    all bought violins and posted all their sounds to every page on the internet, no
    images, just their dying-cat noises on every page on the internet.

    So I keep my gun handy.

    RockyZ, Jun 1, 2007
  12. Re: Do other cameras have built-in feature similar to "Color accent"scene in some Canon DCs?

    ben brugman wrote:

    >> Harsh but fair.
    >>
    >> Besides you can knock it up a lot more effectively in Photoshop.

    > Yes you could, but the total system to get this result will cost a
    > number of times the cost of the camera.
    > Although I do not consider such a feature usefull, there are people with
    > digital camera's, but without Photoshop or even without a PC.
    >
    > So for some people these features are usefull, do not compare these
    > features with products costing a lot more.
    >
    > ben

    Hey don't pick on me. I should've added a ":)" to my post, perhaps.

    Richard Polhill, Jun 1, 2007
  13. JoeT Guest

    "RockyZ" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 May 2007 16:26:56 GMT, "Rudy Lacchin"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > If you are any kind of photographer at all you'll KNOW when it's safe to
    > show
    > one of your images to another without offending everyone and without
    > having to
    > ask. Unfortunately 99.9999% of the people that buy a camera today are
    > never
    > bright enough to know this. Imagine the same scenario if those very same
    > people
    > all bought violins and posted all their sounds to every page on the
    > internet, no
    > images, just their dying-cat noises on every page on the internet.
    >
    > So I keep my gun handy.

    Do the rest of us a huge favor and shoot yourself with said handy gun. But
    be sure to capture a series of your own amazingly well composed photographs
    of the process so that those of us who remain behind can marvel at your
    sheer artistic expressionism and lament the world's having lost such an
    incredible talent!

    JoeT, Jun 1, 2007
  14. Cats Guest

    On Jun 1, 12:28 am, RockyZ <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > No, I'm saying that people who have little or no talent for photography should
    > have their access to any photography equipment taken away from them and be
    > imprisoned for life if they ever have the audacity to want to show their
    > photography to anyone else.

    <snip>

    What about the idiots who show no talent for putting their viewpoint
    tactfully on usenet? I guess by your reckoning they should have their
    connection taken away and all their posts removed from Usenet archives.

    Cats, Jun 1, 2007
  15. ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 02:20:23 -0500, JoeT wrote:

    > Do the rest of us a huge favor and shoot yourself with said handy gun. But
    > be sure to capture a series of your own amazingly well composed photographs
    > of the process so that those of us who remain behind can marvel at your
    > sheer artistic expressionism and lament the world's having lost such an
    > incredible talent!

    Sorry, but one of this sock puppy's alter egos has already said
    that since the world isn't deserving, none of us will be rewarded
    with his award winning photos :

    :: BaumBaddy, et. al. ::
    :: Everyone that's seen my photography wonders why I don't sell
    :: coffee-table books or enter them in galleries or contact Nat. Geo.
    :: or something like that. Society as a whole would have to prove to
    :: me that they deserve to see them. I know now that that's never
    :: going to happen. I used to sell my photography long long ago. But
    :: when I saw what kinds of undeserving useless cretins were able to
    :: enjoy my photography just by handing me their ill-gotten money
    :: I decided the best thing to do was take all of it off the market and
    :: never reveal anything new to the general public ever again.
    :: Instructions in my will to destroy them all, if I don't do it myself first.

    ASAAR, Jun 1, 2007
  16. JoeT Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 02:20:23 -0500, JoeT wrote:
    >
    >> Do the rest of us a huge favor and shoot yourself with said handy gun.
    >> But
    >> be sure to capture a series of your own amazingly well composed
    >> photographs
    >> of the process so that those of us who remain behind can marvel at your
    >> sheer artistic expressionism and lament the world's having lost such an
    >> incredible talent!

    > Sorry, but one of this sock puppy's alter egos has already said
    > that since the world isn't deserving, none of us will be rewarded
    > with his award winning photos :
    >
    > :: BaumBaddy, et. al. ::
    > :: Everyone that's seen my photography wonders why I don't sell
    > :: coffee-table books or enter them in galleries or contact Nat. Geo.
    > :: or something like that. Society as a whole would have to prove to
    > :: me that they deserve to see them. I know now that that's never
    > :: going to happen. I used to sell my photography long long ago. But
    > :: when I saw what kinds of undeserving useless cretins were able to
    > :: enjoy my photography just by handing me their ill-gotten money
    > :: I decided the best thing to do was take all of it off the market and
    > :: never reveal anything new to the general public ever again.
    > :: Instructions in my will to destroy them all, if I don't do it myself
    > first.

    If the last bit of above quoted wisdom is an additional example of Mr.
    perfect's grasp of grammatical structure and Usenet etiquette then as was
    stated by another respondent, the application of his own standards dictates
    that his ability to afflict anyone with his opinions in any form should be
    irreversibly circumvented. Off with his fingers, tongue and internet access!
    Personally I believe the world would benefit most immensely from the strict
    and rapid enactment of my originally posted solution to his dilemma.

    At any rate, if one has no intention of sharing a photograph then it would
    seem counter-intuitive to influence the image by using a camera and its
    limitations to screw it up with reality! Simply compose and memorize the
    image in the unadulterated condition in which it exists at the precise
    moment an actual photographer would press the shutter release!

    To the OP I say this, the fewer special effects one applies to permanently
    alter an image at the time of capture (in camera) the more one can do (or
    more appropriately the less one must undo) in post editing to correct and
    enhance or otherwise save the usefulness of that image.

    In other words the color accent etc. done in camera had better turn out to
    be exactly what you were after, if it doesn't there may be no way to remove
    or change the effect after the fact.

    JoeT, Jun 1, 2007