    Thanks

    Al

    , Feb 16, 2005

  2. Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:

    > I want to completely clean my computer, but do not want to use the HP
    > Operations Disc.
    > I was told there are other simpler ways to do this like pressing
    > particular typewriter keys in a certain sequence.
    > Anybody aware of this or of other methods?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Al

    First, you should define what *exactly* you mean by "clean".
    1) Totally wipe the hard drive? If you do that, the HP computer will
    never work again, as there are certain unknown files and/or other hidden
    info on the hard drive that is *specific* to an HP computer (DELL does
    the same crap). You might be better served using that HP Operations
    Disk, if it has such a procedure available.
    2) Remove un-used and/or un-needed programs? Use the Add/Remove Programs
    sectiooon in the Control Panel.
    3) Clean out leftover junk in the Registry after Un-installing programs?
    There are a number of shareware programs that appear to do a reasonable
    job of that. Ask in this NG for recommendations.
    4) ???

    Robert Baer, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I want to completely clean my computer, but do not want to use the HP
    > Operations Disc.
    > I was told there are other simpler ways to do this like pressing
    > particular typewriter keys in a certain sequence.
    > Anybody aware of this or of other methods?

    Do you want a 100% fresh install or just clean out files you dont need?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Guest

    A 100% fresh install My system is a mess. I can use the HP operations
    disc but without step-by-step instructions it is difficult to get
    through it

    Thanks

    Allan

    , Feb 18, 2005