Do not install new Office 12 Beta 2 on x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Simon Meacham, May 24, 2006.

  1. As some of you are aware O12B2 released for general consumption yesterday
    and is available on MSDN also.

    I would advise *against* attempting to install on x64 at this time. Although
    my machine has internet connectivity, Outlook12B2 (32bit) can't see the
    internet to register and can't connect with my Exchange server on my x64
    box.

    It also keeps telling me to install the Desktop Search. When I try to of
    course it barfs and says 'not for this platform'.

    Since this is an x64 alias I shall not spend any more time on Office 12
    except to try to save others the joy of reinstalling Office 2003, as I will
    be doing this morning.

    Cheers
    Simon.

    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
    For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.
    Simon Meacham, May 24, 2006

  2. Simon Meacham

    Jane Colman Guest

    Downloaded it. Installed it onto XP x64. Runs fine. Only problem is it
    won't activate....but that's because the activation servers are having
    problems at the moment. My Outlook connected fine to the internet for
    getting my mail account set up.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

    Jane Colman, May 24, 2006

  3. Simon Meacham

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Frankly my advice is don't install it on anything

    It won't activate and it won't stop reminding me to download a desktop
    search whatsit that I don't want.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, May 24, 2006
  4. I have resolved one of my problems. Later this morning Microsoft Update
    announced it had re-downloaded the "problems authenticating with MS Outlook
    if you have IE7Beta installed" patch. It seems this needs to be re-applied
    after installing O12B2. Your machine will do this automatically at some
    arbitrary period of time after you install. Then it started talking to my
    Exchange Server again.

    Still can't activate (Activate Server issues not related to x64 - thanks
    Jane)

    However as Peter says, there's no way to stop it annoying me about
    installing desktop search (which doesn't install for x64) that I have
    discovered yet.

    And my machine, for the first time ever, mysteriously switched itself off
    this morning post install too. I do not know whether this is related, maybe
    I've been IE7'ed as was happening to people earlier in the newsgroup.

    All I can say, is Caveat User...

    Simon Meacham, May 24, 2006
  5. Simon Meacham

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Unfortunately IE7 beta seems to have broken Windows Update completely on my
    test PC as well:-

    [Error number: 0x80244016]
    The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page
    you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
    problem.
    For self-help options:

    a.. Frequently Asked Questions

    b.. Find Solutions

    c.. Windows Update Newsgroup
    WSUS still works though - luckily :)

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, May 24, 2006
  6. Simon Meacham

    Rick Guest

    I have I.E. 7 Beta on both 32-bit and 64-bit Win XP and my Windows
    Update works on both systems.

    Rick, May 24, 2006
  7. Simon Meacham

    DKI Guest

    Downloaded onto XP 32bit and works fine and also activated yesterday with no
    problems. i have yet to be tried on X64.

    DKI, May 24, 2006
  8. I downloaded Office Plus Pro 2007 and Office OneNote 2007 and installed into
    a virtual XP 32bit (VS2005 R2) and they work great. Downloaded the desktop
    search and installed (this barfs everytime it tries to work - sends large
    error reports to MS). The activation is a server problem (still on-going
    today).

    The only thing that I am not pleased with is the new "Ribbon Menus" is not
    consistent throughout the Office Suite. Access, Excel, Powerpoint and Word
    have the new menus. Outlook is partially converted to the new menu, but the
    first screen has the older menus. Infopath, Publisher, Clip Organizer,
    Picture Manager, and Document Imaging all have the older menus. OneNote has
    the older menus, but at the moment, I'm not sure how they can establish the
    new Ribbon Menu in it.

    This mish-mash of menus is, at times, exasperating and it really does look
    unprofessional; however, if this is the only thing that is wrong with them,
    it will be worth the upgrade for me.

    Larry

    Lawrence E. Oliver, May 24, 2006
  9. Simon Meacham

    Rick Guest

    The page for Office Beta has this:

    Tell us what you think!
    Microsoft welcomes your feedback on the beta. Submit comments, ask
    questions, share information, or exchange ideas in the Microsoft Office
    Discussion Groups.

    You need to find your way to that group and post you complaints in the
    appropriate group. This is not the Office group!

    Rick, May 24, 2006
  10. That I understand, Thank You!

    If you look at my comments, you will notice that my first paragraph was in
    reply to Simon's comments! The other is just additional comments which will
    also be provided to MS on the feedback.

    Lighten Up.

    Larry

    Lawrence E. Oliver, May 24, 2006
  11. Simon Meacham

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I think your post was pertinent to the thread. Thanks for the input.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, May 24, 2006
  12. Thank you.

    Larry (also) :)

    Lawrence E. Oliver, May 24, 2006
  13. Simon:
    Peter posted in another thread the solution to the "Desktop Search" prompt
    issue.
    In Outlook:
    Go to Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options
    Uncheck Show prompts to download Windows Desktop Search.
    Works in the Spanish version too.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 24, 2006
  14. Why not do a custom installation and just not install Outlook 12 B2 if you
    have a 64 bit system. It would seem to be the more logical answer if
    everything else is working fine besides that. Otherwise, I'm sorry to hear of
    your troubles installing and using Office 12 B2

    =?Utf-8?B?aW1udXRz?=, May 24, 2006
  15. Simon Meacham

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:15:49 +0100, "Simon Meacham"
    <> wrote:

    >I would advise *against* attempting to install on x64 at this time.

    Why would I install an even bigger, newer version of a program which I only
    use to write a few letters? :)

    Jud Hendrix, May 24, 2006
  16. Carlos:
    Glad to see that the Spanish server finally started working for you.
    For me the only language that I can read or understand without a dictionary
    is American, I flunked UK English years ago.

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, May 25, 2006
  17. Thanks Carlos, I have dropped back to running both the Office 2k7B2 and
    IE7B2 in 32 bit VMs now, which seems to be the best way to avoid the
    wierdness, and I get to use the Instant Search feature!

    Simon Meacham, May 26, 2006