    count the ways). Anybody have any suggestions short of reformating and
    reinstalling XP?

    Salisar
    =?Utf-8?B?U2FsaXNhcg==?=, Feb 24, 2006

  2. Are the hard drives on both notebooks set to be shared? Is File and Print
    Sharing enabled and are the firewalls set to allow it through?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Windows Technologies, Printing & Imaging

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Feb 24, 2006

  3. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\), Feb 24, 2006
  4. Yes, drives are set to share, File and print sharing is on, and firewalls are
    turned off

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FsaXNhcg==?=, Feb 24, 2006
  5. I don't think I've made myself clear. My problem is not being able to see my
    own computer on the network. I do not have this problem on the other
    computer - it see's "itself" just fine.

    I receive the following message when attempting to view my workgroup
    computers:

    "Home is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
    resource. Contact the administer of this server to find out if you have
    access permissions

    The list of servers for this workgroup is not available"

    The name of the workgroup I've set up is "Home". As I am the only user on
    this computer and hence presumably the network administrator, I find this
    message curious, to say the least. Any suggestions or assistance would be
    appreciated.

    Salisar

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FsaXNhcg==?=, Feb 26, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2FsaXNhcg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Salisar wrote:

    > I don't think I've made myself clear. My problem is not being able to
    > see my
    > own computer on the network. I do not have this problem on the other
    > computer - it see's "itself" just fine.
    >
    > I receive the following message when attempting to view my workgroup
    > computers:
    >
    > "Home is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this
    > network
    > resource. Contact the administer of this server to find out if you
    > have access permissions
    >
    > The list of servers for this workgroup is not available"

    I've read through your other posts and forgive me if I've missed
    something, but I don't see where you've told us the network hardware
    structure. Is it through a broadband router (Linksys, Netgear, etc.)
    with IP addresses assigned automatically or have you used a crossover
    cable and connected the two computers directly together, and are you
    using Internet Connection Sharing? You also mention "XP", but don't
    tell us whether both computers are XP Home and what service pack level.
    Please fill in the blanks for more help.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Yes, I guess I did leave a few blanks, for which I apologize.

    I am using a Linksys broadband router. Both home computers see the internet
    fine. Both computers are running XP Professional SP2. I allow the router to
    assign IP addresses. Again, to reiterate, on one computer, I get the message
    telling me I don't have permission to use the network. I don't get that
    message on the other. One the first computer, that computer cannot even see
    itself. On the other (the one that I don't get the error on) it can see
    itself, but not the other computer. I hope this makes things clearer.
    Thanks for your indulgence.

    Richard

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FsaXNhcg==?=, Mar 7, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U2FsaXNhcg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Salisar wrote:

    > Yes, I guess I did leave a few blanks, for which I apologize.
    >
    > I am using a Linksys broadband router. Both home computers see the
    > internet
    > fine. Both computers are running XP Professional SP2. I allow the
    > router to
    > assign IP addresses. Again, to reiterate, on one computer, I get the
    > message
    > telling me I don't have permission to use the network. I don't get
    > that
    > message on the other. One the first computer, that computer cannot
    > even see
    > itself. On the other (the one that I don't get the error on) it can
    > see
    > itself, but not the other computer. I hope this makes things clearer.

    OK, here are a few things to do/check:

    1. You've run the Network Setup Wizard already, and this usually solves
    the issue right there. Since it didn't, I'd look for a misconfigured
    third-party firewall or a second firewall you didn't know you have. The
    Network Setup Wizard activates the Windows Firewall. If you aren't
    running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
    Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're
    fine. If you have third-party firewall software, configure it to allow
    the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my
    firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
    Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet, but this one is the
    Linksys default.

    2. Since you have Pro on both machines, make sure that your Simple
    Sharing setting matches. Either enable it or disable it on both
    machines. You'll find this setting in Folder Options>View.

    3. Finally, it is helpful to make identical user accounts and passwords
    on both machines. Don't use null (blank) passwords.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    Malke, Mar 7, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U2FsaXNhcg==?=

    Cavey

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    There seems to be a large number of references to this problem on the net; I have the same problem with a very simple network thru a router and I've tried most of the above before hitting this site.

    My problem is caused by the router; cheap and nasty 3 COM ADSL/Wireless?Router allows workgroup access, new Netgear whizzo ADLS/Wireless/Router causes workgroup access to error.

    Rest of net no change & nothing special configured on router (effectively out of box).

    Any thoughts?
    Cavey, Aug 12, 2006