    2. VPN

    3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

    Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    M.L., Mar 25, 2005

  2. M.L.

    Duane Arnold Guest

    M.L. <> wrote in news:i5q641hpg9ildlor20c12ch57gejghnuqv@
    4ax.com:

    > Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
    > be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
    > following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
    > and laptop, both using WinXP Home:
    >
    > 1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router

    The router is the gateway device for the (Wide Area Network (WAN)/Internet
    and LAN (Local Area Network) your machines connected to the router. The
    gateway router provides the plumbing for the machines to do resource
    sharing on the LAN. However, the O/S on each machine must be configured to
    do resource sharing. So, the router allows the machine to share resources
    without the machines accessing the Internet/WAN. And you DON NOT want to
    share resources like that and the router is protecting the LAN from outside
    attacks but allowing the machines on the LAN to do RS.
    The link has other *home* networking topics.

    > 2. VPN

    There are two types of VPN(s) and they both must have valid VPN end-points.
    Hardware to hardware like two routers using VPN or software to software
    like AT&T Extranet or O/S to O/S like Win2K Pro Workstation and Server
    edition in a VPN connection.

    > 3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

    No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be done
    with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN and the
    other one on the LAN.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 25, 2005

  3. M.L.

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Home Network consists on two or more computers that are connected together
    and able to communicate one with the other in order to exchange information.

    You do not need Internet connection to have Network.

    You do not need VPN to connect between your two computers. VNC program is
    used to remotely control one computer from an other, it is not necessary to
    use VNC in order to share files, and printers.

    Look at the picture in the link bellow, you would see three wired computers
    connected to a box (Wireless Cable/DSL Router) and one computer connected
    Wireless. The box is also connected to a DSL Modem. You can disconnect the
    DSL modem from this box and the four computers still would be able to
    communicate between themselves.

    Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    May be this can help a little more.

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices and
    Brand recommendations. The principles however are still the same.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Mar 25, 2005
  4. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:56:16 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >M.L. <> wrote in news:i5q641hpg9ildlor20c12ch57gejghnuqv@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
    >> be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
    >> following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
    >> and laptop, both using WinXP Home:
    >>
    >> 1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router

    >The router is the gateway device for the (Wide Area Network (WAN)/Internet
    >and LAN (Local Area Network) your machines connected to the router. The
    >gateway router provides the plumbing for the machines to do resource
    >sharing on the LAN. However, the O/S on each machine must be configured to
    >do resource sharing. So, the router allows the machine to share resources
    >without the machines accessing the Internet/WAN. And you DON NOT want to
    >share resources like that and the router is protecting the LAN from outside
    >attacks but allowing the machines on the LAN to do RS.
    >The link has other *home* networking topics.
    >
    >http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    >> 2. VPN

    >There are two types of VPN(s) and they both must have valid VPN end-points.
    >Hardware to hardware like two routers using VPN or software to software
    >like AT&T Extranet or O/S to O/S like Win2K Pro Workstation and Server
    >edition in a VPN connection.

    Would XPHome to XPHome work for VPN?

    >> 3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

    >No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be done
    >with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN and the
    >other one on the LAN.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Thank you for your helpful replies and links. For VNC I was thinking
    more along the lines of RealVNC with Putty for SSH tunneling, not XP
    RDS. IIRC, the RDS needs at least one WinXP Pro computer to function
    as the server. Would two non-networked computers need to use the
    Internet for VNC?

    M.L., Mar 29, 2005
  5. M.L.

    Duane Arnold Guest

    M.L. <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:56:16 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>M.L. <> wrote in
    >>news:i5q641hpg9ildlor20c12ch57gejghnuqv@ 4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I
    >>> must be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
    >>> following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL
    >>> modem) and laptop, both using WinXP Home:
    >>>
    >>> 1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router

    >>The router is the gateway device for the (Wide Area Network
    >>(WAN)/Internet and LAN (Local Area Network) your machines connected to
    >>the router. The gateway router provides the plumbing for the machines
    >>to do resource sharing on the LAN. However, the O/S on each machine
    >>must be configured to do resource sharing. So, the router allows the
    >>machine to share resources without the machines accessing the
    >>Internet/WAN. And you DON NOT want to share resources like that and
    >>the router is protecting the LAN from outside attacks but allowing the
    >>machines on the LAN to do RS. The link has other *home* networking
    >>topics.
    >>
    >>http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >>
    >>> 2. VPN

    >>There are two types of VPN(s) and they both must have valid VPN
    >>end-points. Hardware to hardware like two routers using VPN or
    >>software to software like AT&T Extranet or O/S to O/S like Win2K Pro
    >>Workstation and Server edition in a VPN connection.

    > Would XPHome to XPHome work for VPN?
    >
    >>> 3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

    >>No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be
    >>done with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN
    >>and the other one on the LAN.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > Thank you for your helpful replies and links. For VNC I was thinking
    > more along the lines of RealVNC with Putty for SSH tunneling, not XP
    > RDS. IIRC, the RDS needs at least one WinXP Pro computer to function
    > as the server.

    Well there is MS Netmeeting that has RDS that's on the O/S as well but I
    understand that you must configure it on the XP machine for it to work. On
    Win 2K and down O/S(s) one doesn't need to do this special configuration of
    NM's RDS. You can search Google or dogpile.com for more info on the how to.

    > Would two non-networked computers need to use the
    > Internet for VNC?

    If you're talking about can one machine on the LAN VNC with another machine
    not on the LAN for a VNC connection, then yes, since the Internet (Wide
    Area Network) WAN is just a bigger network than your LAN.

    However, to do VNC over the Internet, the router must have the inbound port
    open to the public Internet for it to work. That is called port forwarding
    on the router, which you should be able to go to the router's Tech Support
    Knowledge Base link to find out how to do it or call them on the phone on
    the how to. Port forwarding is talked about in the link above too. Keep the
    machine out of the DMZ.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 29, 2005
  6. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>>No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be
    >>>done with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN
    >>>and the other one on the LAN.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    >> Thank you for your helpful replies and links. For VNC I was thinking
    >> more along the lines of RealVNC with Putty for SSH tunneling, not XP
    >> RDS. IIRC, the RDS needs at least one WinXP Pro computer to function
    >> as the server.

    >Well there is MS Netmeeting that has RDS that's on the O/S as well but I
    >understand that you must configure it on the XP machine for it to work. On
    >Win 2K and down O/S(s) one doesn't need to do this special configuration of
    >NM's RDS. You can search Google or dogpile.com for more info on the how to.

    Thanks, I'll look into using NetMeeting RDS. It might be the most
    convenient route to take.

    M.L., Apr 1, 2005