Do-It-Yourself Cellphone

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger_Nickel, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Roger_Nickel, Nov 19, 2005

  2. On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <>
    wrote:

    >http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
    >
    >If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
    >falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

    I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
    PC to be on...
    john
    Images of home (NZ)
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    John in Surrey, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Roger_Nickel

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, John in Surrey wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
    >>
    >>If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
    >>falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

    > I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
    > PC to be on...
    > john
    > Images of home (NZ)
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    > What we are up to in the UK
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    Use pocket skype on a windows phone and a WiFi AP

    ChrisOD, Nov 19, 2005
  4. Roger_Nickel

    -=rjh=- Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
    >>
    >>If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
    >>falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

    > I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
    > PC to be on...

    Isn't that what the Woosh IP phone basically is?

    Flashcards.co.nz has a cordless POTS/skype phone but this still requires
    a PC for the Skype service - it looks pretty good, but if it connected
    straight into the LAN it would be ideal.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 19, 2005
  5. Roger_Nickel

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > In article <>, John in Surrey wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:12:12 +1300, Roger_Nickel <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5953682.html
    >>>
    >>>If you want a phone which uses Skype over WiFi when available and
    >>>falls back on the cellullar network otherwise then build it yourself.

    >>I want one that pugs straight into the router and doesnt requrie the
    >>PC to be on...
    >>john
    >>Images of home (NZ)
    >>http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    >>What we are up to in the UK
    >>http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    > Use pocket skype on a windows phone and a WiFi AP

    This is one of the uses of the Nokia 770; it isn't a phone at all, it is
    a cheap linux based wifi/bluetooth internet tablet, but a Skype client
    is under development for it.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 19, 2005