Do ISP's Sometimes Require Proprietary DSL Modems?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by JB, Jun 24, 2009.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    Hi,

    My current ISP does not require a particular modem. I bought a Zoom X6 and
    all I needed to make it work was the encapsulation protocol. There are many
    to choose from with this modem including what I needed.

    My phone line is owned by Verizon. I am considering using them for an ISP
    also.

    The Verizon signup form allows you to have them provide the modem or use
    your own. They list two or three compatible modems and all the same brand.

    Because I am already using Verizon's encapsulation I suspect my modem will
    work fine and it's a more capable unit than what they offer.

    Do ISPs have a way to force you to use their modem?

    Thank you.

    Mike
    JB, Jun 24, 2009

  2. JB

    Daddy Guest

    You may not be required to use equipment endorsed by your ISP. However, your
    ISP will not provide support for any other equipment. Moreover, if your ISP
    believes your equipment is adversely affecting their network, they can
    terminate service to you.

    Daddy

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jun 24, 2009

  3. JB

    Gordon Guest

    "Daddy" <> wrote in message

    > Moreover, if your ISP believes your equipment is adversely affecting
    > their network,

    HIGHLY improbable using a bog-standard router....

    Gordon, Jun 24, 2009
  4. JB

    Lem Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > "Daddy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Moreover, if your ISP believes your equipment is adversely affecting
    >> their network,

    > HIGHLY improbable using a bog-standard router....
    >
    >> they can terminate service to you.

    He didn't say that non-"approved" equipment *would* adversely affect the
    network, only that if the ISP *believed* that it would ...

    Never underestimate the irrationality of ISP tech support ;)

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM - 40
    years ago next month.
    Lem, Jun 24, 2009
  5. JB

    Gordon Guest

    "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message

    > Never underestimate the irrationality of ISP tech support ;)

    Isn't the phrase "ISP tech support" an oxymoron? ;-)
    Gordon, Jun 24, 2009
  6. JB

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    For practical purpose (as Daddy already motioned above) it is much better to
    take a Modem from the ISP.
    Whenever their trouble most ISPs tend to exaggerate their capacity to detect
    a problem from remote with tier support computers.
    In most cases the default attitude is to start to “blame” the client system
    and push you to plug unplug and make changes in your Network.
    If you are using the ISP provided Modem it is their responsibility (if the
    problem cannot be solved from emote) to come to you and prove that there is
    a Valid Internet Signal coming out of their modem.
    If you do not use their Modem, either they would refuse to come, or they
    would come and charge you for a visit and New Modem.
    One simple incident can cost the price of three modems and aggravation of 10
    Modems value.
    BTW, while I detest the attitude of starting with putting the “Blame” on the
    client system, the ISPs I right in refusing to get into supporting Hardware
    that they do not sell and or approve. It is not “fair” to ask the ISPs to
    become knowledgeable about all the thousands of Devices that are sold in
    stores and the Internet, all over the world.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Jun 25, 2009
  7. JB

    JB Guest

    I agree that the ISP should not be expected to provide support for just any
    modem. I think the best approach is to accept their free modem for
    troubleshooting only (if I do change to Verizon).

    But my question is about whether they check to make sure I use theirs. For
    example, do any of them check the modem MAC address? It seems like an easy
    way to control a customer. If that's the case, they won't get my business.

    Thanks to all who replied.

    Mike

    JB, Jun 27, 2009
  8. JB

    Lem Guest

    JB wrote:
    > I agree that the ISP should not be expected to provide support for just any
    > modem. I think the best approach is to accept their free modem for
    > troubleshooting only (if I do change to Verizon).
    >
    > But my question is about whether they check to make sure I use theirs. For
    > example, do any of them check the modem MAC address? It seems like an easy
    > way to control a customer. If that's the case, they won't get my business.
    >
    > Thanks to all who replied.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Jack-MVP" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> For practical purpose (as Daddy already motioned above) it is much better
    >> to take a Modem from the ISP.
    >> Whenever their trouble most ISPs tend to exaggerate their capacity to
    >> detect a problem from remote with tier support computers.
    >> In most cases the default attitude is to start to “blame” the client
    >> system and push you to plug unplug and make changes in your Network.
    >> If you are using the ISP provided Modem it is their responsibility (if the
    >> problem cannot be solved from emote) to come to you and prove that there
    >> is a Valid Internet Signal coming out of their modem.
    >> If you do not use their Modem, either they would refuse to come, or they
    >> would come and charge you for a visit and New Modem.
    >> One simple incident can cost the price of three modems and aggravation of
    >> 10 Modems value.
    >> BTW, while I detest the attitude of starting with putting the “Blame” on
    >> the client system, the ISPs I right in refusing to get into supporting
    >> Hardware that they do not sell and or approve. It is not “fair” to ask the
    >> ISPs to become knowledgeable about all the thousands of Devices that are
    >> sold in stores and the Internet, all over the world.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "JB" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My current ISP does not require a particular modem. I bought a Zoom X6
    >>> and all I needed to make it work was the encapsulation protocol. There
    >>> are many to choose from with this modem including what I needed.
    >>>
    >>> My phone line is owned by Verizon. I am considering using them for an
    >>> ISP also.
    >>>
    >>> The Verizon signup form allows you to have them provide the modem or use
    >>> your own. They list two or three compatible modems and all the same
    >>> brand.
    >>>
    >>> Because I am already using Verizon's encapsulation I suspect my modem
    >>> will work fine and it's a more capable unit than what they offer.
    >>>
    >>> Do ISPs have a way to force you to use their modem?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    AFAIK, MAC addresses are only checked for cable Internet service, and
    not DSL. This sort of question, however, is best directed to the
    appropriate Verizon forum at DSLreports.com (there seem to be at least 8
    different ones; pick the one that covers your particular flavor of
    Verizon) - http://www.dslreports.com/forums/47
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jun 27, 2009
  9. JB

    Dave Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My current ISP does not require a particular modem. I bought a Zoom X6
    > and all I needed to make it work was the encapsulation protocol. There
    > are many to choose from with this modem including what I needed.
    >
    > My phone line is owned by Verizon. I am considering using them for an
    > ISP also.
    >
    > The Verizon signup form allows you to have them provide the modem or use
    > your own. They list two or three compatible modems and all the same
    > brand.
    >
    > Because I am already using Verizon's encapsulation I suspect my modem will
    > work fine and it's a more capable unit than what they offer.

    not all dsl isp's are created equal... a dsl reseller like i had used a
    different method of connection, pppoe, that essentially connected me into
    their network and authenticated with their login. This was an aggrevating
    and unnecessary step. When i switched to verizon as my isp the connection
    went straight to their switch and was much quicker starting up and more
    reliable. with the reseller encapsulation any time their network hiccupped
    it would take me down and take a long time to reconnect and get running
    again.

    > Do ISPs have a way to force you to use their modem?

    not really, but they can refuse to support you if you have problems and
    aren't using the hardware that they understand.
    Dave, Jun 27, 2009
  10. JB

    JB Guest

    > JB wrote:
    >> I agree that the ISP should not be expected to provide support for just
    >> any modem. I think the best approach is to accept their free modem for
    >> troubleshooting only (if I do change to Verizon).
    >>
    >> But my question is about whether they check to make sure I use theirs.
    >> For example, do any of them check the modem MAC address? It seems like
    >> an easy way to control a customer. If that's the case, they won't get my
    >> business.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all who replied.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    >> "Jack-MVP" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> For practical purpose (as Daddy already motioned above) it is much
    >>> better to take a Modem from the ISP.
    >>> Whenever their trouble most ISPs tend to exaggerate their capacity to
    >>> detect a problem from remote with tier support computers.
    >>> In most cases the default attitude is to start to “blame” the client
    >>> system and push you to plug unplug and make changes in your Network.
    >>> If you are using the ISP provided Modem it is their responsibility (if
    >>> the problem cannot be solved from emote) to come to you and prove that
    >>> there is a Valid Internet Signal coming out of their modem.
    >>> If you do not use their Modem, either they would refuse to come, or they
    >>> would come and charge you for a visit and New Modem.
    >>> One simple incident can cost the price of three modems and aggravation
    >>> of 10 Modems value.
    >>> BTW, while I detest the attitude of starting with putting the “Blame” on
    >>> the client system, the ISPs I right in refusing to get into supporting
    >>> Hardware that they do not sell and or approve. It is not “fair” to ask
    >>> the ISPs to become knowledgeable about all the thousands of Devices that
    >>> are sold in stores and the Internet, all over the world.
    >>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>>
    >>> "JB" <> wrote in message

    > AFAIK, MAC addresses are only checked for cable Internet service, and not
    > DSL. This sort of question, however, is best directed to the appropriate
    > Verizon forum at DSLreports.com (there seem to be at least 8 different
    > ones; pick the one that covers your particular flavor of Verizon) -
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forums/47
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

    Ok. Thanks again.