Do I Want To "Upgrade" Or "Update" To W98 SE ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Will be updating my very old W98 OS to W98 SE so I can run
    some programs that apparently require SE.

    See that there are disks, and downloads, that are either termed as "Upgrade"
    or "Update" to SE

    What are the differences ?

    Which do I want ? Why ?

    I sure don't want to wipe out anything, or cause other problems, on my HD
    when I do this.

    Would like to do the absolute minimum I have to in order to run some of
    these programs.

    Which do I want ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Robert11

    r_mervart Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Will be updating my very old W98 OS to W98 SE so I can run
    > some programs that apparently require SE.
    >
    > See that there are disks, and downloads, that are either termed as

    "Upgrade"
    > or "Update" to SE
    >
    > What are the differences ?

    From my memory I went
    -from Windos95 to Windows98 using Windows98 Upgrade CD and then
    -from Windows98 to Windows98 SE using the Windows98 SE Updates CD

    roman
    r_mervart, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Will be updating my very old W98 OS to W98 SE so I can run
    > some programs that apparently require SE.
    >
    > See that there are disks, and downloads, that are either termed as "Upgrade"
    > or "Update" to SE
    >
    > What are the differences ?
    >
    > Which do I want ? Why ?
    >
    > I sure don't want to wipe out anything, or cause other problems, on my HD
    > when I do this.
    >
    > Would like to do the absolute minimum I have to in order to run some of
    > these programs.
    >
    > Which do I want ?

    There isn't two different ways of doing it, just the the "upgrade". And
    you don't need to do anything but pop in the disk and be ready to type
    in the product key, and hit Enter about a dozen times. You won't lose
    anything unless things go terribly wrong, but then that's why you have
    that set of backup disks of your important data.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Robert11

    r_mervart Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Robert11 wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Will be updating my very old W98 OS to W98 SE so I can run
    > > some programs that apparently require SE.
    > >
    > > See that there are disks, and downloads, that are either termed as

    "Upgrade"
    > > or "Update" to SE
    > >
    > > What are the differences ?
    > >
    > > Which do I want ? Why ?
    > >
    > > I sure don't want to wipe out anything, or cause other problems, on my

    HD
    > > when I do this.
    > >
    > > Would like to do the absolute minimum I have to in order to run some of
    > > these programs.
    > >
    > > Which do I want ?

    > There isn't two different ways of doing it, just the the "upgrade". And
    > you don't need to do anything but pop in the disk and be ready to type
    > in the product key, and hit Enter about a dozen times. You won't lose
    > anything unless things go terribly wrong, but then that's why you have
    > that set of backup disks of your important data.

    .... but to "upgrade" from Win 98 you use CD labelled as
    Win98 Second Edition Updates.

    roman
    r_mervart, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Robert11

    Larry Crites Guest

    Simply, "upgrade" would be going from one "version" to the next one up,
    "update" would be updating the current "version" only.

    Larry
    Unlock the Universe

    Larry Crites, Nov 5, 2004
  6. r_mervart wrote:

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Robert11 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Will be updating my very old W98 OS to W98 SE so I can run
    >>>some programs that apparently require SE.
    >>>
    >>>See that there are disks, and downloads, that are either termed as

    > "Upgrade"
    >
    >>>or "Update" to SE
    >>>
    >>>What are the differences ?
    >>>
    >>>Which do I want ? Why ?
    >>>
    >>>I sure don't want to wipe out anything, or cause other problems, on my

    > HD
    >
    >>>when I do this.
    >>>
    >>>Would like to do the absolute minimum I have to in order to run some of
    >>>these programs.
    >>>
    >>>Which do I want ?

    >>There isn't two different ways of doing it, just the the "upgrade". And
    >> you don't need to do anything but pop in the disk and be ready to type
    >>in the product key, and hit Enter about a dozen times. You won't lose
    >>anything unless things go terribly wrong, but then that's why you have
    >>that set of backup disks of your important data.

    > ... but to "upgrade" from Win 98 you use CD labelled as
    > Win98 Second Edition Updates.

    Uh, no, mine is labled Upgrade. And like all the other upgrades that MS
    have published it is the full version with only a slightly different
    install routine. It can be used either as full install or upgrade.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Robert11

    r_mervart Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > r_mervart wrote:
    >
    > > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    > > "Upgrade"

    > > HD

    > >>There isn't two different ways of doing it, just the the "upgrade". And
    > >> you don't need to do anything but pop in the disk and be ready to type
    > >>in the product key, and hit Enter about a dozen times. You won't lose
    > >>anything unless things go terribly wrong, but then that's why you have
    > >>that set of backup disks of your important data.

    > > ... but to "upgrade" from Win 98 you use CD labelled as
    > > Win98 Second Edition Updates.

    > Uh, no, mine is labled Upgrade. And like all the other upgrades that MS
    > have published it is the full version with only a slightly different
    > install routine. It can be used either as full install or upgrade.

    What exactly does it say in full on your CD? I think one needs to be quite
    precise here. There may be other way but I know that I went through the
    process
    of upgrading and updating as I described in the other posting. Once I had
    Win 98 installed (upgraded from Win95) I used Win98 Second Edition Updates
    CD to update Win98 to Win98 SE.

    roman
    r_mervart, Nov 5, 2004
  8. r_mervart wrote:

    > What exactly does it say in full on your CD? I think one needs to be

    quite
    > precise here. There may be other way but I know that I went through the
    > process
    > of upgrading and updating as I described in the other posting. Once I had
    > Win 98 installed (upgraded from Win95) I used Win98 Second Edition Updates
    > CD to update Win98 to Win98 SE.

    You need precision? Well, I have about two or three dozen system disks
    laying about, but I have two in my hand that are from MS with all their
    factory printing. One is Windows 98 Upgrade for users of Windows 3.1x
    and Windows 95, it also has Second Edition printed in the upper right
    hand side. The other disk looks identical but says Windows 98 Upgrade
    and doesn't say who it's for or if it's SE (I'm sure it's not SE). But
    they work the same way. They both have the full version of Win98 on
    them, they simply look for proof that you have a previous version of
    Windows before continuing with the install. Of course if your hard drive
    is blank you can pop in a CD from a previous version and that satisfies
    the requirements. There is no need to use the intermediate step of Win98
    before going to Win98SE if upgrading from Win95.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 5, 2004
  9. Robert11

    r_mervart Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > r_mervart wrote:
    >
    > > What exactly does it say in full on your CD? I think one needs to be

    > quite
    > > precise here. There may be other way but I know that I went through the
    > > process
    > > of upgrading and updating as I described in the other posting. Once I

    had
    > > Win 98 installed (upgraded from Win95) I used Win98 Second Edition

    Updates
    > > CD to update Win98 to Win98 SE.
    > >

    > You need precision? Well, I have about two or three dozen system disks
    > laying about, but I have two in my hand that are from MS with all their
    > factory printing. One is Windows 98 Upgrade for users of Windows 3.1x
    > and Windows 95, it also has Second Edition printed in the upper right
    > hand side. The other disk looks identical but says Windows 98 Upgrade
    > and doesn't say who it's for or if it's SE (I'm sure it's not SE). But
    > they work the same way. They both have the full version of Win98 on
    > them, they simply look for proof that you have a previous version of
    > Windows before continuing with the install. Of course if your hard drive
    > is blank you can pop in a CD from a previous version and that satisfies
    > the requirements. There is no need to use the intermediate step of Win98
    > before going to Win98SE if upgrading from Win95.

    Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you said I believe that
    a) your first disk will upgrade from Win 3.1 or Win95 to Win98SE
    b) your second disk Windows 98 Upgrade is very likely the one I used
    to upgrade from Win95 to Win98 (not SE) - it says the same on mine.

    I believe that neither a) nor b) is what the OP is after. He already has
    Win98
    installed and he wants to get it up to Win98SE. The disk labelled
    "Win98 Second Edition Updates" will do that. It seems to me that there
    is only one way to update from Win98 to Win98SE and that is to use
    "Win98 Second Edition Updates" disk.

    I did not say there is the need to go from Win95 to Win98SE via Win98,
    I said that it was how I did it ( because at the time when I upgraded
    from Win95 to Win98 you could not upgrade higher, there was no SE yet)

    roman
    r_mervart, Nov 5, 2004
  10. Robert11

    Sunny Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> r_mervart wrote:
    >>
    >> > What exactly does it say in full on your CD? I think one needs to be

    >> quite
    >> > precise here. There may be other way but I know that I went through the
    >> > process
    >> > of upgrading and updating as I described in the other posting. Once I

    > had
    >> > Win 98 installed (upgraded from Win95) I used Win98 Second Edition

    > Updates
    >> > CD to update Win98 to Win98 SE.
    >> >

    >> You need precision? Well, I have about two or three dozen system disks
    >> laying about, but I have two in my hand that are from MS with all their
    >> factory printing. One is Windows 98 Upgrade for users of Windows 3.1x
    >> and Windows 95, it also has Second Edition printed in the upper right
    >> hand side. The other disk looks identical but says Windows 98 Upgrade
    >> and doesn't say who it's for or if it's SE (I'm sure it's not SE). But
    >> they work the same way. They both have the full version of Win98 on
    >> them, they simply look for proof that you have a previous version of
    >> Windows before continuing with the install. Of course if your hard drive
    >> is blank you can pop in a CD from a previous version and that satisfies
    >> the requirements. There is no need to use the intermediate step of Win98
    >> before going to Win98SE if upgrading from Win95.

    > Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you said I believe that
    > a) your first disk will upgrade from Win 3.1 or Win95 to Win98SE
    > b) your second disk Windows 98 Upgrade is very likely the one I used
    > to upgrade from Win95 to Win98 (not SE) - it says the same on mine.
    >
    > I believe that neither a) nor b) is what the OP is after. He already has
    > Win98
    > installed and he wants to get it up to Win98SE. The disk labelled
    > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" will do that. It seems to me that there
    > is only one way to update from Win98 to Win98SE and that is to use
    > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" disk.
    >
    > I did not say there is the need to go from Win95 to Win98SE via Win98,
    > I said that it was how I did it ( because at the time when I upgraded
    > from Win95 to Win98 you could not upgrade higher, there was no SE yet)

    To add more "confusion" :
    The "Win98SE Update" CD will only update Win98 and cannot be used for a
    clean install.
    The "Win98SE Upgrade" CD will update WinXX and can be used to clean install
    Win98SE.
    (with a WinXX CD handy, to satisfy the "OS qualifying" requirements.)
    Sunny, Nov 5, 2004
  11. Robert11

    r_mervart Guest

    "Sunny" <> wrote in message

    > "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    be
    > >> quite

    the

    > > had

    > > Updates
    > >> >

    > >> You need precision? Well, I have about two or three dozen system disks
    > >> laying about, but I have two in my hand that are from MS with all their
    > >> factory printing. One is Windows 98 Upgrade for users of Windows 3.1x
    > >> and Windows 95, it also has Second Edition printed in the upper right
    > >> hand side. The other disk looks identical but says Windows 98 Upgrade
    > >> and doesn't say who it's for or if it's SE (I'm sure it's not SE). But
    > >> they work the same way. They both have the full version of Win98 on
    > >> them, they simply look for proof that you have a previous version of
    > >> Windows before continuing with the install. Of course if your hard

    drive
    > >> is blank you can pop in a CD from a previous version and that satisfies
    > >> the requirements. There is no need to use the intermediate step of

    Win98
    > >> before going to Win98SE if upgrading from Win95.

    > > Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you said I believe that
    > > a) your first disk will upgrade from Win 3.1 or Win95 to Win98SE
    > > b) your second disk Windows 98 Upgrade is very likely the one I used
    > > to upgrade from Win95 to Win98 (not SE) - it says the same on mine.
    > >
    > > I believe that neither a) nor b) is what the OP is after. He already has
    > > Win98
    > > installed and he wants to get it up to Win98SE. The disk labelled
    > > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" will do that. It seems to me that there
    > > is only one way to update from Win98 to Win98SE and that is to use
    > > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" disk.
    > >
    > > I did not say there is the need to go from Win95 to Win98SE via Win98,
    > > I said that it was how I did it ( because at the time when I upgraded
    > > from Win95 to Win98 you could not upgrade higher, there was no SE yet)

    > To add more "confusion" :
    > The "Win98SE Update" CD will only update Win98 and cannot be used for a
    > clean install.
    > The "Win98SE Upgrade" CD will update WinXX and can be used to clean

    install
    > Win98SE.
    > (with a WinXX CD handy, to satisfy the "OS qualifying" requirements.)

    I agree with the first assertion. As for the second I was not aware that
    Win98SE Upgrade could also be used just to update Win98 to Win 98SE, if
    that
    is what your equation implies. I assumed that it can be used only to upgrade
    either from Win 3.1 or from Win95 to Win 98SE

    roman
    r_mervart, Nov 5, 2004
  12. Robert11

    Sunny Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > "Sunny" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    > be

    > the
    >> > had
    >> > Updates

    > drive

    > Win98
    >> >
    >> > Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you said I believe that
    >> > a) your first disk will upgrade from Win 3.1 or Win95 to Win98SE
    >> > b) your second disk Windows 98 Upgrade is very likely the one I used
    >> > to upgrade from Win95 to Win98 (not SE) - it says the same on mine.
    >> >
    >> > I believe that neither a) nor b) is what the OP is after. He already
    >> > has
    >> > Win98
    >> > installed and he wants to get it up to Win98SE. The disk labelled
    >> > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" will do that. It seems to me that there
    >> > is only one way to update from Win98 to Win98SE and that is to use
    >> > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" disk.
    >> >
    >> > I did not say there is the need to go from Win95 to Win98SE via Win98,
    >> > I said that it was how I did it ( because at the time when I upgraded
    >> > from Win95 to Win98 you could not upgrade higher, there was no SE yet)

    >> To add more "confusion" :
    >> The "Win98SE Update" CD will only update Win98 and cannot be used for a
    >> clean install.
    >> The "Win98SE Upgrade" CD will update WinXX and can be used to clean

    > install
    >> Win98SE.
    >> (with a WinXX CD handy, to satisfy the "OS qualifying" requirements.)
    >>

    > I agree with the first assertion. As for the second I was not aware that
    > Win98SE Upgrade could also be used just to update Win98 to Win 98SE, if
    > that
    > is what your equation implies. I assumed that it can be used only to
    > upgrade
    > either from Win 3.1 or from Win95 to Win 98SE

    Yep, it can be used to "update" Win98.
    The difference in cost was the main factor in deciding to purchase the
    Update CD.
    (Clean install then meant using your Win98 CD, then the Win98SE)
    From memory :
    Upgrade CD = $AUD 150 (retail)
    Update CD = $AUD 20 (from Microsoft)
    Sunny, Nov 6, 2004
  13. Howdy!

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Will be updating my very old W98 OS to W98 SE so I can run
    > some programs that apparently require SE.
    >
    > See that there are disks, and downloads, that are either termed as

    "Upgrade"
    > or "Update" to SE
    >
    > What are the differences ?

    The "Upgrade" was from Win3.x or Win95 to Win98SE.

    The "Update" was from Win98 Gold to Win98 SE.

    You'll want the update disk.

    Especially since the UPGRADE will refuse to run on a Win98 install,
    being for Win95.

    (It can be coaxed, but I just grab an old Update CD when I have to
    do that).

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 7, 2004