    is that its free.
    Anyone have any experience they could share?
    TIA

    royroy, Aug 1, 2004

  2. royroy

    Sabineellen Guest

    Indeed, it's free. No one can tell you whether you want it or not. Just
    download it and see how you like it.

    Sabineellen, Aug 1, 2004

  3. royroy

    Matti Vuori Guest

    royroy <> wrote in news:grtpg0harlgkdqi3i70dr7v2bcl4c4592c@
    4ax.com:
    > was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.

    Depending on the user's needs, it could as well be called "photoshop with a
    brain damage due to a prolonged use of steroids", but it may well be a very
    suitable image editor for many photographers.

    > Anyone have any experience they could share?

    You might get more expriences in comp.graphics.apps.gimp

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Aug 1, 2004
  4. royroy

    CeeBee Guest

    royroy <> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point me to
    > previous discussion that would be fine.
    > I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.

    No, it's not photoshop, and certainly not on steroids. Not the ease of
    use, not the logic of menus and tools, nor the stability.

    But it's free. And free means: free to download, free to use, free to try,
    free to judge. Download it, install it. If you don't like it: swoop it
    from your hard disk.

    --
    CeeBee

    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."

    CeeBee, Aug 1, 2004
  5. royroy

    ColynG© Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:05:52 -0400, royroy <> wrote:

    >This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point me to
    >previous discussion that would be fine.
    >I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.
    >All I know from reviewing the sites:
    >http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/
    >http://www.gimp.org/
    >is that its free.
    >Anyone have any experience they could share?
    >TIA

    If you are going to try it on Windows you will need to download GTK+2
    for Windows v2.4.3 and the current version Gimp v2.0.3 at the below
    url. Gimp won't work without the GTK run time environment program
    installed..

    http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

    I have used it on my Linux machine and find it about the same as
    PhotoShop once you get used to it..

    Colyn Goodson

    email hidden

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    ColynG©, Aug 1, 2004
  6. royroy <> writes:

    > This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point me to
    > previous discussion that would be fine.
    > I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.
    > All I know from reviewing the sites:
    > http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/
    > http://www.gimp.org/
    > is that its free.
    > Anyone have any experience they could share?

    I've just played with it briefly -- I'm already invested in Photoshop
    and in Picture Window Pro, so I'm not taking the trouble to climb the
    learning curve of a third program. Last I checked it lacks color
    management, which means it's useless for any serious work -- screen
    won't patch printer output, and won't match calibrated monitors
    elsewhere.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 1, 2004
  7. royroy

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The Gimp is more like what would happen to Photoshop if it took steroids
    for too long and went impotent. You might not need Photoshop and if you are
    using Linux I guess the gimp would be what you can get, but Corel Photo
    Paint can actually do most of what Photoshop does (colour management is
    still strictly a Photoshop feature - but if you work alone you probably
    don't need it) and is plenty good enough for the amateur user. If you do a
    lot of restoration of old colour photographs however, you NEED the colour
    management and the ability to do a lot with 16 bit per channel files -- and
    that is either Photoshop or Reindeer Graphics. I know nothing about the
    second one except it supposedly will work with Corel Photo Paint. If you
    need high bit workability I would still say go with Photoshop and avoid
    plug-ins.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 1, 2004
  8. "Tony Spadaro" <> writes:

    > The Gimp is more like what would happen to Photoshop if it took steroids
    > for too long and went impotent. You might not need Photoshop and if you are
    > using Linux I guess the gimp would be what you can get, but Corel Photo
    > Paint can actually do most of what Photoshop does (colour management is
    > still strictly a Photoshop feature - but if you work alone you probably
    > don't need it) and is plenty good enough for the amateur user. If you do a
    > lot of restoration of old colour photographs however, you NEED the colour
    > management and the ability to do a lot with 16 bit per channel files -- and
    > that is either Photoshop or Reindeer Graphics. I know nothing about the
    > second one except it supposedly will work with Corel Photo Paint. If you
    > need high bit workability I would still say go with Photoshop and avoid
    > plug-ins.

    Hang on -- Corel Photo Paint had color management back in version 6.
    Have they taken it out again on the way up to the current version 10?

    And the most important use of color management in my opinion is
    matching screen to printer, and it's just as valuable if you work
    alone as if you work with others.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 1, 2004
  9. The Gimp IMHO is wonderful

    That being said it seems more geared towards "technical" users who may wish
    to define their own convolution matrix.

    It does not seem IMHO quite as intuitive as Photoshop CS but there again
    very little does.

    Who knows what the Gimp will be like in a few more years as its user base
    increases and "consumer" demand and expectation increases too.

    One thing I am sure of is that Windows XP will help and Gimp is free and
    does not consume too much space on the hard drive.

    Surely it will not cost too much in terms of time and effort to give it a
    try?

    Anything you learn in The Gimp will help you in most hi-quality image
    processing software.

    So, your options include:
    try the Gimp (loearn on it for a while)
    try Adobe Photoshop CS 30 day trial from www.adobe.com (maybe after you have
    Gimped for a month or two?)

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Aug 1, 2004
  10. oh a ps - do a Google on Grokking the Gimp

    Arty Phacting, Aug 1, 2004
  11. royroy

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Corel's colour management doesn't work.

    --

    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 1, 2004
  12. royroy

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    royroy <> wrote:

    > I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.

    While it's a nice enough program for web graphics and the like, it's a toy
    compared to Photoshop and really isn't suitable for serious photography.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 1, 2004
  13. >>>>> "royroy" == royroy <> writes:

    royroy> This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point
    royroy> me to previous discussion that would be fine. I was recently
    royroy> referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'. All I know
    royroy> from reviewing the sites:
    royroy> http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ http://www.gimp.org/ is
    royroy> that its free. Anyone have any experience they could share?
    royroy> TIA

    It's covered by the GNU license, and there is no cost for using the
    software. You should probably take a look at the license if you have
    not seen the GNU license before.

    Once you learn how to use it, the gimp works well. There are many
    tutorials on the net. Do a search on the internet.

    I can't compare to photoshop because I have never used photoshop.

    Good luck.

    Post Replies Here Please, Aug 1, 2004
  14. royroy <> wrote in

    > This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point me to
    > previous discussion that would be fine.
    > I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.
    > All I know from reviewing the sites:
    > http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/
    > http://www.gimp.org/
    > is that its free.
    > Anyone have any experience they could share?

    The GIMP is a very good alternative. Its rumoured instability
    is based upon older versions. Most of the things you want to
    do you can do, sometimes better and sometimes worse than in
    PhotoShop.

    Advantages:
    1. It is very easy to make plugins.
    2. Free.

    Disadvantages:
    1. No color management.
    2. No 48 bit support.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 1, 2004
  15. royroy

    Tim Smith Guest

    On 2004-08-01, Roland Karlsson <> wrote:
    > The GIMP is a very good alternative. Its rumoured instability

    > Disadvantages:
    > 1. No color management.
    > 2. No 48 bit support.

    It might be worth taking a look at Cinepaint (formerly known as Film Gimp),
    which is an offshoot of the Gimp for film work. It supports 8, 16, and
    32-bits of color per channel (so that's up to 128-bit RGBA).

    <URL:http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/>

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith, Aug 2, 2004
  16. On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:14:21 +0000, Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > don't need it) and is plenty good enough for the amateur user. If you do a
    > lot of restoration of old colour photographs however, you NEED the colour
    > management and the ability to do a lot with 16 bit per channel files --
    > and that is either Photoshop or Reindeer Graphics.

    Personally, I don't believe that, as the implication is that no-one ever
    did any of that kind of thing with all the versions of Photoshop that
    preceded CS, which is patently untrue.

    The two main negatives that this thread has mentioned about GIMP are lack
    of 16 bit support, and lack of colour management. Colour management is
    coming - you can apply ICC profiles to images in GIMP these days, and
    there is also a colour manager plug in available:-

    http://www.freecolormanagement.com/color/gimp.html

    As far as 16 bit support goes, if you really care (and having seen side by
    side comparisons of 16 bit and 8 bit workflows and the results, I've yet
    to be convinced), use Cinepaint, which supports far more bit depth than
    Photoshop, and richer file formats.

    Photoshop still has the edge in UI though, IMHO. I've found very little
    that you can do in Photoshop that can't be done by GIMP, but it does often
    seem to take more effort in GIMP. That said, I just use it for photos, and
    I'm not a graphic artist - I've seen some people who can produce
    incredible results with it, but I think that's often down to the artist
    more than the tool.

    My 2p worth,

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Aug 2, 2004
  17. Hi Mike

    First of all I thought about a haughty response and after I re-read your
    message I guess I totally sympathise.

    Gimp IMHO seems to be coming from a programmers perspective with finesse
    left to the end-user

    PSCS seems to be coming from a professional printshop ? designshop where
    finesse is expected in the product.

    I am sure that after a few years and widening participation Gimp will really
    be quite excellent

    Not to say that it is not excellent now. It is but in a clunky sort of way

    Bring on The Gimp!

    Arts

    "Mike Brodbelt" <m.brodbelt@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote
    in message

    Arty Phacting, Aug 2, 2004
  18. royroy

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Balderdash.

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 2, 2004
  19. well do you?

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Aug 3, 2004
  20. royroy

    royroy Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 23:25:09 GMT, "Arty Phacting"
    <> wrote:

    >well do you?

    I guess I'll have to download it and give it a whirl.
    Thanks to all
    Roy
    www.virginianewssource.com

    royroy, Aug 3, 2004