    when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.
    Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    How do I set to stay on full time?

    RON, Dec 25, 2004

  2. RON

    Old Gringo Guest

    RON wrote:
    > I would like to know if it best to leave the computer on are turn it off
    > when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.
    > Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    > How do I set to stay on full time?

    worry about your off on situation later and don't post your
    girlfriends email address on the help desk as she will be getting
    spam infested with worms, Trojans, and virus. Not having a clue as
    to what your OS is I would suggest you right click the desk top and
    select properties and then settings. You will be able to make
    adjustments to your computers power settings there. Your computer is
    like anything else you own electrical leaving it on or off is
    optional at the users preference. Little common sense goes a long ways.

    --
    Old Gringo George

    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    Old Gringo, Dec 25, 2004

  3. RON

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:39:09 -0800, "RON" <> wrote:

    >I would like to know if it best to leave the computer on are turn it off
    >when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.
    >Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    >How do I set to stay on full time?

    Get hooked on downloading porn and DVD movies and the question will answer
    itself.:)

    , Dec 25, 2004
  4. RON

    Ant Guest

    Start, Settings, Control Panel, Power Management, double click, set all to
    Never.

    Ant.

    Ant, Dec 25, 2004
  5. On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:39:09 -0800, "RON" <>
    wrote:

    >I would like to know if it best to leave the computer on are turn it off
    >when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.
    >Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    >How do I set to stay on full time?

    See this link:-

    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm

    and the links near bottom of that page.

    Personally, I always turn it off in case of electrical storms - these
    can zap your whole system if there is a lightning strike near you.

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!

    Aussie Bomber, Dec 26, 2004
  6. RON

    Mr Spite Guest

    ya can't see what's going on when your asleep, and it saves elec which isn't
    getting cheaper imho, yeah, i've read all the wooha about hardware being
    stressed when it starts up but i've got 5yr old systems that were turned off
    and on a few times daily and there still working, i think the leave it on
    24/7 was dreamed up by hardware resellers imho, if your not running a server
    i wouldn't leave it on but that's just me, but do get an ups just to be safe
    anyway...

    Mr Spite, Dec 26, 2004
  7. Mr Spite wrote:

    > ya can't see what's going on when your asleep, and it saves elec which
    > isn't getting cheaper imho, yeah, i've read all the wooha about
    > hardware being stressed when it starts up but i've got 5yr old systems
    > that were turned off and on a few times daily and there still working,
    > i think the leave it on 24/7 was dreamed up by hardware resellers
    > imho, if your not running a server i wouldn't leave it on but that's
    > just me, but do get an ups just to be safe anyway...

    There's also the platform influence. Since Windows machines (generally
    speaking, in the home, not so much in the hands of pros) need frequent
    rebooting anyway, that's going to make a difference. With MS in the
    house, it's not going to be a question of leaving it on for very long
    anyway, comparatively speaking; so the question may become "Should I
    shut down every night, or see if it'll keep running well for two or
    three days before I have to reboot anyway."

    --
    Blinky

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 26, 2004
  8. RON wrote:

    > I would like to know if it best to leave the computer on are turn it off
    > when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.

    Up-to-date desktop systems are made for and specified for about 8 hr/day
    work, so are the harddrives MTBF calculations. 2 or 3 on/off cycles a day
    surely won't harm. Also, equipment is more safe from power surges or
    induction voltages from nearby thunderstorms when turned off completely
    (best with a switchable power bar, which will also save unnecessary standby
    current).

    > Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    > How do I set to stay on full time?

    If you really want, you can do this from control panel - energy settings, or
    from desktop - properties - screen saver - energy settings.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 26, 2004
  9. RON

    D. Best Guest

    done it both ways with virtually the same results. Have read many articles
    that say shutting off daily or leaving on 24/7 is about the same as 6 or
    half a dozen ... results are virtually the same. I leave 4 computers on
    24/7 now and have for 3 years.

    --
    - d. best -
    Exercise your mind, body & freedoms

    D. Best, Dec 26, 2004
  10. "Aussie Bomber" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:39:09 -0800, "RON" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I would like to know if it best to leave the computer on are turn it off
    >>when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.
    >>Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    >>How do I set to stay on full time?

    > See this link:-
    >
    > http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm
    >
    > and the links near bottom of that page.
    >
    > Personally, I always turn it off in case of electrical storms - these
    > can zap your whole system if there is a lightning strike near you.
    >

    > --
    > The Aussie Bomber
    > Carn The Dons!!

    You'd also better unplug it if you're worried about lightning. Voltage
    spikes can still travel through the ground wiring and kill your system.

    Paul

    Atlas Shrugged, Dec 26, 2004
  11. "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Mr Spite wrote:
    >
    >> ya can't see what's going on when your asleep, and it saves elec which
    >> isn't getting cheaper imho, yeah, i've read all the wooha about
    >> hardware being stressed when it starts up but i've got 5yr old systems
    >> that were turned off and on a few times daily and there still working,
    >> i think the leave it on 24/7 was dreamed up by hardware resellers
    >> imho, if your not running a server i wouldn't leave it on but that's
    >> just me, but do get an ups just to be safe anyway...

    > There's also the platform influence. Since Windows machines (generally
    > speaking, in the home, not so much in the hands of pros) need frequent
    > rebooting anyway, that's going to make a difference. With MS in the
    > house, it's not going to be a question of leaving it on for very long
    > anyway, comparatively speaking; so the question may become "Should I
    > shut down every night, or see if it'll keep running well for two or
    > three days before I have to reboot anyway."
    >
    > --
    > Blinky

    I usually shut my computers off every night except on the weekends when I
    leave them on from Friday till Sunday night. Invariably, then need
    rebooting sometime during the weekends. Some program usually freezes or
    slows the machine down to a crawl.

    Paul

    Atlas Shrugged, Dec 26, 2004
  12. RON

    Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > RON wrote:
    > > I would like to know if it best to leave the computer on are turn it off
    > > when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.
    > > Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    > > How do I set to stay on full time?
    > >

    > worry about your off on situation later and don't post your
    > girlfriends email address on the help desk as she will be getting
    > spam infested with worms, Trojans, and virus. Not having a clue as
    > to what your OS is I would suggest you right click the desk top and
    > select properties and then settings. You will be able to make
    > adjustments to your computers power settings there. Your computer is
    > like anything else you own electrical leaving it on or off is
    > optional at the users preference. Little common sense goes a long ways.
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo George
    >
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

    Beware of "common sense" because "common sense" really depends on one's
    past experiences.

    LB

    , Dec 27, 2004
  13. RON

    Old Gringo Guest

    wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >>RON wrote:
    >>
    >>>I would like to know if it best to leave the computer on are turn it off
    >>>when finished. I mean like over night and on 24/7.
    >>>Next for some reason my computer turns off after a few hours if not used.
    >>>How do I set to stay on full time?
    >>>

    >>worry about your off on situation later and don't post your
    >>girlfriends email address on the help desk as she will be getting
    >>spam infested with worms, Trojans, and virus. Not having a clue as
    >>to what your OS is I would suggest you right click the desk top and
    >>select properties and then settings. You will be able to make
    >>adjustments to your computers power settings there. Your computer is
    >>like anything else you own electrical leaving it on or off is
    >>optional at the users preference. Little common sense goes a long ways.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>
    >>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

    > Beware of "common sense" because "common sense" really depends on one's
    > past experiences.
    >
    > LB

    :)

    Old Gringo, Dec 27, 2004
  14. RON

    Mark Peacey Guest

    If you have the internet and you don't have firewall, it would be best to
    turn it off. Leaving it on will be an opportunity for hackers to get into
    your system and start stealing your Identity.
    If you have firewall, then it should be ok to leave it on

    Mark Peacey, Dec 28, 2004