    swapfile. Surely I don't need it with that much memory!

    If I remove the swapfile a temporary one is created on next boot. Is it really
    necessary?
    An Metet, May 22, 2004

  2. An Metet

    Ionizer Guest

    "An Metet" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've running under Win2K with 1Gb of memory and I can't seem to get rid of

    my
    > swapfile. Surely I don't need it with that much memory!
    >
    > If I remove the swapfile a temporary one is created on next boot. Is it

    really
    > necessary?

    Your question is addressed part way down this wonderful page on the subject
    of virtual memory: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, May 22, 2004

  3. An Metet wrote:
    > I've running under Win2K with 1Gb of memory and I can't seem to get rid of my
    > swapfile. Surely I don't need it with that much memory!
    >
    > If I remove the swapfile a temporary one is created on next boot. Is it really
    > necessary?

    Yes - you need a swap file. Apart from a few internal bits
    within the operating system, /everything/ that executes on
    Win2k uses virtual addresses and not real ones. These
    virtual addresses exist within pages that are mapped to
    either real memory or hard disk files space. Pages that are
    not part of the working set currently in use will be swapped
    out routinely - particularly during transitions in the
    working set as programs go from one phase of execution to
    another. These swapped out pages may, or probably may not,
    be needed again but do contain changes that mean that the
    original pages held on the hard disk cannot simply be
    re-fetched. Windows has no idea whether a particular program
    will be well-designed, with nice transitions between small
    working sets, or has been built like a heap of spaghetti -
    fetching pages from all over its virtual memory space - so
    it has to allow for holding pages in excess of the real
    memory capability, even when that capacity is 25% of the
    virtual memory space. Of course, when 64 bit systems become
    common, even your 1 Gbyte will look miniscule in comparison
    to the virtual mapped space available.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 22, 2004
  4. An Metet

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, May 22, 2004
  5. An Metet

    PJB Guest

    "An Metet" <> wrote in message
    > I've running under Win2K with 1Gb of memory and I can't

    seem to get rid of my
    > swapfile. Surely I don't need it with that much memory!
    >
    > If I remove the swapfile a temporary one is created on

    next boot. Is it really
    > necessary?

    The fact that Windoze re-creates the swapfile every time you
    delete it and restart should answer your question "Is it
    really necessary" ;-)
    Generally speaking, the more memory you have, the more hard
    disk space Windows will reserve for the swap file. So with
    1G or ram, your swapfile could grow to 1.5Gb ;-)

    P.
    PJB, May 22, 2004
  6. An Metet

    An Metet Guest

    Thanks to all for the answers. Looks like I'll just have to put up with the
    swapfile then. :(
    An Metet, May 22, 2004
  7. PJB wrote:

    > The fact that Windoze re-creates the swapfile every time you delete it
    > and restart should answer your question "Is it really necessary" ;-)

    I think this attributes wisdom to Windows that is not warranted.

    This is not to say swap is not needed -- but using "Windows does it" as
    a yardstick probably isn't the best of ideas.

    For example, Windows also allows "temporary internet files" to pile up
    until they choke IE to death[1]. If Windows were all-knowing, they'd be
    FIFO purged before they disabled the Browser That Is Part Of Windows.

    [1]Not that this is a bad thing.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, May 22, 2004
  8. An Metet

    Plato Guest

    An Metet wrote:

    > I've running under Win2K with 1Gb of memory and I can't seem to get rid of my
    > swapfile. Surely I don't need it with that much memory!
    >
    > If I remove the swapfile a temporary one is created on next boot. Is it really
    > necessary?

    Yes it's necessary but with that much ram you'll only have a 50 meg or
    less swap file usage which is NOT an issue.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 22, 2004
  9. If you don't fill your entire allocation of your 1Gb physical memory then you
    should be able to cut down on the size of your pagefile. No point to have 2Gb or
    so of swapfile if you don't go over 1Gb of memory frequently.

    If you find you go over your 1Gb of memory frequently then it maybe time to look
    at buying more memory. Using the swapfile as RAM should be avoided where
    possible as it slows down the system dreadfully.

    Noman Nomeniscio, May 22, 2004
  10. An Metet

    PJB Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > PJB wrote:
    >
    > > The fact that Windoze re-creates the swapfile every time

    you delete it
    > > and restart should answer your question "Is it really

    necessary" ;-)

    > I think this attributes wisdom to Windows that is not

    warranted.

    > This is not to say swap is not needed -- but using

    "Windows does it" as
    > a yardstick probably isn't the best of ideas.

    You're right, but taking into account most folks
    inexperience of the working of Windoze, I feel it's better
    to leave Windoze to do its own thing. ;-)

    > For example, Windows also allows "temporary internet

    files" to pile up
    > until they choke IE to death[1]. If Windows were

    all-knowing, they'd be
    > FIFO purged before they disabled the Browser That Is Part

    Of Windows.

    > [1]Not that this is a bad thing.

    can't argue that point either ;-)

    P.
    PJB, May 23, 2004
  11. An Metet

    billybob Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > "An Metet" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've running under Win2K with 1Gb of memory and I can't seem to get rid of

    > my
    >
    >>swapfile. Surely I don't need it with that much memory!
    >>
    >>If I remove the swapfile a temporary one is created on next boot. Is it

    > really
    >
    >>necessary?

    > Your question is addressed part way down this wonderful page on the subject
    > of virtual memory: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    This is one of the omens of Windows. Your thoughts are right that you
    don't need it, but the operating system was built to look for it, thus
    it will always create one. It may never get used, but it will create. In
    others words "it will be done"
    billybob, May 23, 2004
  12. PJB wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> PJB wrote:

    >>> The fact that Windoze re-creates the swapfile every time you delete
    >>> it and restart should answer your question "Is it really necessary"
    >>> ;-)

    >> I think this attributes wisdom to Windows that is not warranted.

    >> This is not to say swap is not needed -- but using "Windows does it"
    >> as a yardstick probably isn't the best of ideas.

    > You're right, but taking into account most folks inexperience of the
    > working of Windoze, I feel it's better to leave Windoze to do its own
    > thing. ;-)

    Sometimes the blind leading the blind is as good as it gets. :)

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2004
  13. An Metet

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > Sometimes the blind leading the blind is as good as it gets. :)

    XP has the option to not use a pagefile (but isn't recommended)
    there are applications that require a pagefile.
    MS office and photoshop come to mind.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, May 24, 2004