    The developer is offering a hosted service for 14 Euros per month which sounds attractive but if the VPS is useful in lots of other ways, that's attractive too.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jo
    Boppy, Jul 15, 2011

  2. Boppy

    Squiggle Guest

    On 15/07/2011 6:38 p.m., Boppy threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > So I've installed a restaurant reservation script on my Hostgator webserver and it's running too slowing, to the extent that it crashes when I try to enter data. The hostgator techs in the US and the developer in Germany report that the speed is fine for them.
    >
    > However Hostgator now tell me: "To run this script you'll need a box with more resources at your disposal such as a high level VPS or dedicated box. “
    >
    > They offer such a service for around $US40 per month. It's not a massive amount compared to what I am paying for web hosting services already but I wonder what else such a product would be useful for.
    >
    > What is a VPS for? What does it actually do?
    >
    > The developer is offering a hosted service for 14 Euros per month which sounds attractive but if the VPS is useful in lots of other ways, that's attractive too.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Jo

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server.

    Basically it is the virtualised equivalent of having your own server in
    their datacentre. This means you can do whatever you want with it
    within the limitations of the resource you are paying for.
    It can be a web server, a mail server, a (legal) torrent server. You can
    install anything you want to achieve whatever you want. You just need
    to pay for more disk/data/memory/processor as you ask it to do more.

    If your restaurant is located in NZ, I'd seriously consider moving it to
    a server in NZ for improved performance for your customers.

    A friend works for rimuhosting.com, they have NZ based servers and
    prices start from $39 for nz based VPS (low end), or 19.95US for US
    based VPS, and I know orcon also does VPS in NZ, I suspect most ISPs
    would be able to offer you something to suit.
    Squiggle, Jul 15, 2011