Do I need to upgrade to XP64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. I currently have an AMD 64 3500+, using only XP Home. I also have Office Pro
    2003.

    I am experiencing "freeze ups" where the computer locks solid. If I am
    using it at the time (it also locks up overnight when nothing is active), I
    am usually doing something in Office (Outlook, Word, Excel). Only a Reset
    allows the machine to be used again. The picture is perfect but mouse and
    keyboard do not respond.

    Upon restart, Word usually appears as having encountered an error, starts in
    Safe Mode and gives me an MSFT page telling me that MSFT knows about an
    Office 2003 problem and is working on it.

    I am fully patched on both XP & Office and have very few apps running in the
    background that may be contributing ( ATI Control, Groove Networks Virtual
    Office, McAfee Enterprise VirusScan, Samsung monitor controls).

    Nothing appears in Event Logs - AT ALL, except for the startup messages.

    It would seem to be hardware but I booted to a bootable CD and ran for 8-10
    hours without freeze. This is a 2nd load of the OS, to another drive. The
    power supply, motherboard, video adapter and RAM have all been replaced.

    So since 95% of all hardware has been replaced, I need to concentrate on
    software. Since 95% of all freeze ups where I am doing something are while
    in an Office app, I need to start my s/w eval on XP Home and Office 2003.

    Thanks for reading.

    =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=, Sep 9, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Florian" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have an AMD 64 3500+, using only XP Home. I also have Office
    >Pro
    > 2003.
    >
    > I am experiencing "freeze ups" where the computer locks solid. If I am
    > using it at the time (it also locks up overnight when nothing is active),
    > am usually doing something in Office (Outlook, Word, Excel). Only a Reset
    > allows the machine to be used again. The picture is perfect but mouse and
    > keyboard do not respond.
    >
    > Upon restart, Word usually appears as having encountered an error, starts
    > in
    > Safe Mode and gives me an MSFT page telling me that MSFT knows about an
    > Office 2003 problem and is working on it.
    >
    > I am fully patched on both XP & Office and have very few apps running in
    > the
    > background that may be contributing ( ATI Control, Groove Networks Virtual
    > Office, McAfee Enterprise VirusScan, Samsung monitor controls).
    >
    > Nothing appears in Event Logs - AT ALL, except for the startup messages.
    >
    > It would seem to be hardware but I booted to a bootable CD and ran for
    > 8-10
    > hours without freeze. This is a 2nd load of the OS, to another drive.
    > The
    > power supply, motherboard, video adapter and RAM have all been replaced.
    >
    > So since 95% of all hardware has been replaced, I need to concentrate
    > on
    > software. Since 95% of all freeze ups where I am doing something are
    > while
    > in an Office app, I need to start my s/w eval on XP Home and Office 2003.
    >
    > Thanks for reading.

    Chances are you would have the same problems in Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition.
    Based upon the information you provided (and without access to your event
    log or error codes), I would think that you have issues with either your
    installation of Windows or Office 2003.
    Are you sure the versions you are installing are legitimate, retail or OEM
    versions? Are the discs imprinted with a laser etched holographic label?
    What other software do you have installed?
    Have you installed the motherboard and chipset drivers? Most current
    drivers for your video card? Have you applied all updates to Windows XP and
    Office?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 9, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=

    Guest

    Re: Do I need to upgrade to XP64?

    Maybe as a short term fix (and not much of a fix) you could run "open
    office". On older PC, you could notice that real office ran faster than
    open office, but on modern PCs, you can't see the difference.

    , Sep 9, 2005
  4. Check your device manager to see if all devices are installed and working
    properly.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 9, 2005
  5. I am also waiting for the promised fix for Word 2003, but it does not cause
    system freezes for me under x64.

    It is unlikely that a software fault would cause a system freeze with no
    entry in the event log under any version of Windows XP. Hardware or drivers
    are almost certainly the cause.

    The symptoms described are usually caused by faulty memory. Although the RAM
    has been replaced, it is possible though unlikely that the new RAM is also
    faulty. As a first step get memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/ and test
    the memory.

    Socket 939 CPUs include the memory controller. A faulty memory controller
    could also generate the symptoms described. If memtest shows many faulty
    areas of RAM this is a likely cause.

    Are you monitoring the system temperatures? If the CPU cooler is inadequate
    or incorrectly installed, so that operating temperatures were above
    acceptable limits, this could also cause system freezes but in this case a
    number of different errors would probably be reported.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 9, 2005
  6. Thanks to all for comments so far.

    1. Fully legal on s/w. The O/S was reapplied to a new clean disk by the
    dealer. I re-installed the Office Pro to the new disk.

    2. It might be appropriate to apply all motherboard and chipset drivers as
    I can not be sure that was done.

    3. I have run MEMTEST and RAM was clean.

    4. All items are fully patched to latest updates and drivers.

    5. Other software was noted earlier - ATI Control, Groove Networks Virtual
    Office, McAfee A/V, Samsung Monitor Controls.

    6. As noted, all hardware except processor have been replaced.

    7. The m/b is Giga-Byte GA-K8NSC-939 with F1 bios. There are F2, F5 & F6
    updates available but not yet applied.

    Florian

    =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=, Sep 10, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=

    RonK Guest

    Not sure if this includes your motherboard but have you allowed Windows
    Update to install new drivers for your Marvell Ethernet ?
    The reason I ask is that I have seen a lot of posts about freeze ups after
    the new driver has been installed. After they had gone back to an older
    driver - no more problems.

    RonK, Sep 10, 2005
  8. As you are having persistent problems, update to the latest BIOS, clear the
    CMOS and load appropriate BIOS settings.

    Check which driver versions are installed in Device Manager, and update if
    necessary. Resolve any items which show problems.

    If you still have problems, find a newsgroup which discusses your
    manufacturer/motherboard/chipset combination. This is the best place to
    discover any known, unpatched incompatibilities and possible workrounds.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 10, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=

    Mercury Guest

    I second your answer.

    To quote Paul over at the Asus mobo news group:
    [
    "Hmmm. Another motherboard with "Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet".

    You are likely a victim of a certain Windows Update driver update.
    If using the v8.35.2.3 driver, try another.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs_view....anguage=en-us&topic_page=1&page_cnt=5&recc=45

    ] end quote

    rolling back the driver is sometimes a quick solution. Note: this specific
    fault is not unique to Asus motherboards.

    failing that I would follow Dominic's recommendation and check RAM with
    memtest86 test at least overnight / prime95 torture , check graphics
    drivers - try another type of graphics card (non AGP, different chipset &
    make &model), check mains power...

    Mercury, Sep 10, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Rmxvcmlhbg==?=

    Florian Guest

    Thanks again to all for the info.

    I have applied the chipset drivers just to be sure. After that, only the
    Marvel appears on a Windows Update check. I will leave it back at the base
    version.

    I will try this for a few days and if any freeze happens, then I will do the
    Bios upgrade. 1 step at a time.

    I will go looking for a newsgroup on my hardware setup to see if I can glean
    anything there.

    Back to my original question - I think that I might have to deal with too
    many other s/w issues (availability, compatability) and there are no
    compelling horsepower reasons to go there yet.

    Thank you very much for your comments.

    Closed.

    Florian, Sep 11, 2005