    I have a Linksys wireless router and Zonealarm firewall on my computer. Is
    the software firewall necessary, or can I just disable it?

    Thanks

    tempus fugit, Jan 30, 2009

  2. tempus fugit

    bmoag Guest

    For most users software Firewalls beyond what is built into XP/Vista are
    overkill when you are behind the firewall of a router. They tend to cause
    more problems with your local network then they are worth.
    There is a concern that the Microsoft firewalls, particularly XP, do not
    block outgoing data which is potentially an issue if your computer is taken
    over by malware as a spam "bot." This is unlikely if you are using decent
    anti-Virus software, do not open attachments from unknown senders and do not
    troll Easter European porn sites, download dubious software (like key
    generators).
    The Vista firewall can be configured to block outgoing data if that is a
    concern . . .

    bmoag, Jan 30, 2009

  3. tempus fugit

    gnu / linux Guest

    On Jan 30, 10:32 am, "tempus fugit"
    <> wrote:
    > Hey all;
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router and Zonealarm firewall on my computer. Is
    > the software firewall necessary, or can I just disable it?
    >
    > Thanks

    A Software and hardware router is best, the price is right & they
    souldn't interfer with each other (Zonealarm OR XP firewall, not both
    of um) AND Linksys = good.

    gnu / linux, Jan 31, 2009
  4. tempus fugit

    Boscoe Guest

    "tempus fugit" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all;
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router and Zonealarm firewall on my computer. Is
    > the software firewall necessary, or can I just disable it?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hardware firewalls are generally very good at blocking inbound traffic from
    the Internet However, the advantage of a commercial software firewall is
    that they are configurable so that every time something on your PC tries to
    connect to the Internet you will be alerted and asked if you want to allow
    it or not.

    Boscoe, Jan 31, 2009