  1. Industrious

    Industrious Guest

    Do I need dual layer writng in a DVD burner to [ahem] archive DVD movies?

    Industrious, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Industrious

    Palm Guest

    have a look at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

    Palm, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Industrious

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:30:05 +1300, "Industrious"
    <> wrote:

    >Do I need dual layer writng in a DVD burner to [ahem] archive DVD movies?

    Yes and no. Some movies are single layer and will, err, archive to
    single layer media. Some dual layer movies can be be, err, what you
    said, if you select only the main movie files. Yet again you might be
    able to get away with single layer if you use something like
    TitleSetBlanker or VobBlanker to cut out intros and menues. After
    that you can use DVD Shrink to re-author it, which will compress the
    movie somewhat with possible loss of quality depending on degree of
    compression. After that you need Dual Layer. Given the high cost of
    discs and low compatibility, coupled to lower burning success rate, it
    is not so cost effective.

    GraB, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Industrious

    Geronimo Guest

    wrote:

    >Do I need dual layer writng in a DVD burner to [ahem] archive DVD movies?

    Not really, 2 DVD CD are far cheaper than a Dual layer CD that do not work on
    most DVD Players..

    Geronimo, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Industrious said the following on 14/11/2004 21:30:
    > Do I need dual layer writng in a DVD burner to [ahem] archive DVD movies?

    No
    DVDClone
    DVDShrink
    DVDDecrypter
    AnyDVD

    Are the sort of things you should search for

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Geronimo said the following on 14/11/2004 21:48:
    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:30:05 +1300, "Industrious" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Do I need dual layer writng in a DVD burner to [ahem] archive DVD movies?
    >>

    > Not really, 2 DVD CD are far cheaper than a Dual layer CD that do not work on
    > most DVD Players..

    Despite the fact that you got a few things mixed in that statement above
    I understand what you mean and you are right.

    I havnt struck a titloe yet that I havnt been able to archieve including
    some with very large sound tracks.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Industrious

    JohnO Guest

    > Do I need dual layer writng in a DVD burner to [ahem] archive DVD movies?

    Probably not. Generally the main movie feature will fit on a single layer
    DVD. The dual layer jobs are generally full of shit you don't need like
    trailers,out-takes, 'making-of' features, interviews with the guy who washes
    the teacups on the movie set etc. You wouldn't believe how much space the
    credits at the end of the movie take!

    However this implies that you are interested in re-mastering the DVD with
    only the main feature.

    JohnO, Nov 15, 2004
  8. Industrious

    JohnO Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Industrious said the following on 14/11/2004 21:30:
    > > Do I need dual layer writng in a DVD burner to [ahem] archive DVD

    movies?

    > No
    > DVDClone
    > DVDShrink