    I would like to know if I have to take the offered courses or if I have
    enough time, should I learn by myself?
    Thanks!

    Nir, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Nir

    Techie Guest

    Depends on your background but for the most part you probably don't need
    courses. If you want to learn by yourself do yourself a big favour and build
    a small network at home to practice on.

    --
    Techie
    A+, Network+, MCP, MCNGP #21

    Techie, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Nir

    Novelldude Guest

    Digitalthink.com has decent online courses. I've been
    through a couple and find them a great intro to the
    material.

    If you are going to go the e-course route, I would
    consider Digitalthink, 3 machines to beat on, and a very
    familiar knowledge of the resource kit minimal for
    testing purposes.

    You might also take a look at CBTNuggets.com as well.
    They aren't online, but they are still very good.

    Novelldude, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Nir

    serpico Guest

    No, you certainly don't need classes. They can be a positive experience
    though, for some people.

    If you are seriously interested in instructor led training (ilt),
    consider two things:

    1)ilt is strictly a binary proposition, it will either be horrible, or
    it will be great. There are no "okay" or "decent" classes/instructors.
    You will either get some guy/girl who is highly experienced, motivated,
    enthusiatic etc.. or you will get some dolt who reads directly from
    books.

    2)ilt will not (directly) help you pass the exams. This is a good
    thing. Most good ilt is geared towards "big picture"-type concepts,
    rather than "do I use update /s or update /slip" (whatever). Again,
    this is good, but remember you will have to hit the books just as much
    as people not in ilt. A good instructor will say, something to the
    effect of "Microsoft does it this way, and you'll need to do that for
    the exam, but it happens this way in the real world".

    If you are seriously considering, do a lot of research. I had an
    incredibly positive experience with ilt, but it seems even more people
    have had negative experiences (lame instructors, lame ctecs, etc), so
    do your homework.

    Also remember (considering the cost of ilt) you are a consumer first
    and a student second. Ask as many questions as possible (during class),
    and ask to audit a class one evening (before enrolling), or see if you
    can meet the instructor etc.

    Also, even if you use ilt do as much personal study as you can and set
    yourself up a lab, you can do so cheaply. And always prefer lab
    work/studying resource kit, technet, help files etc, over the
    paint-by-numbers-mcse books. These books help for solidifying
    knowledge/passing exams, but thats about it.

    Hope this helps.

    ---
    Sign up to get free daily practice questions at: http://www.QoD.US/i-54.htm
    View this thread: http://www.examnotes.net/article1015568.html