    Need some guidance as I do not know what to do now

    Many thanks

    Dennis
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzanViYg==?=, Sep 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzanViYg==?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:29:04 -0700, dennisjubb wrote:

    > Pc with xp connected to Linksys router/modem with usb ethernet cable.

    PC with XP connected to Linksys <model?> router/modem with USB cable?
    PC with XP connected to Linksys <model?> router/modem with Ethernet cable?
    There is no such thing as a USB Ethernet cable.

    What model of Linksys router (I am just as lazy as you, and am not going to
    the Linksys site to find what you could have told us from the start), and
    did you use an Ethernet CAT 5e patch cord (oversize phone plugs on the
    ends), or a USB cable to connect it?

    > Network connections shows

    > Lan
    > Internet gateway-internet connection
    > ieee 1394
    >
    > if i check box to share interenet then i am cut off internet

    Why do you want to use ICS to share the connection? The Linksys will do
    that without running ICS.

    > Have got 2 wireless laptops that show wireless netwoek connections
    > but when they click internet explorer we get cannot find server.
    >
    > Ran network wizard on pc, copied to disc and ran on laptops.
    >
    > Need some guidance as I do not know what to do now
    >
    > Many thanks

    What IP address shows up on each laptop when you run ipconfig -all? What IP
    address is on the PC? The router should be 192.168.0.1, I believe; each
    computer should get 192.168.0.x, where 'x' can be any number between '2'
    and '254'.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    N. Miller, Sep 21, 2005

  3. "N. Miller" wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:29:04 -0700, dennisjubb wrote:
    >
    > > Pc with xp connected to Linksys router/modem with usb ethernet cable.

    > PC with XP connected to Linksys <model?> router/modem with USB cable?
    > PC with XP connected to Linksys <model?> router/modem with Ethernet cable?
    > There is no such thing as a USB Ethernet cable.
    >
    > What model of Linksys router (I am just as lazy as you, and am not going to
    > the Linksys site to find what you could have told us from the start), and
    > did you use an Ethernet CAT 5e patch cord (oversize phone plugs on the
    > ends), or a USB cable to connect it?

    It is a Linksys Wag54gs and I have a blue ethernet cable connected to usb
    adaptor as pc did not have ethernet slot

    > > Network connections shows

    > > Lan
    > > Internet gateway-internet connection
    > > ieee 1394
    > >
    > > if i check box to share interenet then i am cut off internet

    > Why do you want to use ICS to share the connection? The Linksys will do
    > that without running ICS.

    Laptops are ok when connected to the linksys router with blue ethernet cable
    and internet gateway appears. If we unplug cable and then try and connect
    wirelessly, it comes up with connection-good strength. When we click on
    internet explorer it states that it cannot find server. Not sure what I have
    done wrong and what i should to fix it?

    > > Have got 2 wireless laptops that show wireless netwoek connections
    > > but when they click internet explorer we get cannot find server.
    > >
    > > Ran network wizard on pc, copied to disc and ran on laptops.
    > >
    > > Need some guidance as I do not know what to do now
    > >
    > > Many thanks

    > What IP address shows up on each laptop when you run ipconfig -all? What IP
    > address is on the PC? The router should be 192.168.0.1, I believe; each
    > computer should get 192.168.0.x, where 'x' can be any number between '2'
    > and '254'.

    IP address of pc is 192.168.101. Laptop is 192.168.1.100 and 102. Could
    this be the problem and how can you change the ip adresses?

    As you see I am a learner

    appreciate any guidance

    cheers

    dennis

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzanViYg==?=, Sep 21, 2005
  4. "dennisjubb" <> wrote in message
    > Pc with xp connected to Linksys router/modem with usb ethernet cable.
    > Network connections shows
    >
    > Lan
    > Internet gateway-internet connection
    > ieee 1394
    >
    > if i check box to share interenet then i am cut off internet

    You didnt say which you have clicked to share internet. You have to have the
    right one clicked to do that which I think should be the LAN connection to
    the Linksys.

    Next, on all computers you have to have the correct gateway (the linksys)
    inserted.

    You also need to either put in a Bridge or have the 1394 network and the
    Linksys on different subnet masks for it to work easily. Eg, the Linksys may
    be in the 10.0.0.x range and the 1394 in the 192.168.0.x range.

    However, rather than click to share, bridging has worked for me in the past.
    I chose not to use it when it made all IP numbers auto assign and I use PC
    Anywhere which needs manually assignd numbers.

    > Have got 2 wireless laptops that show wireless netwoek connections but
    > when
    > they click internet explorer we get cannot find server.

    I would manually assign IP numbers, DNS numbers and gateway as a test to see
    if they can find it, then. Your DNS assignment in your Linksys may not be
    working right for any reason so find out your ISP's DNS numbers and put them
    in on the wireless computers.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 21, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzanViYg==?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:19:05 -0700, dennisjubb wrote:

    > "N. Miller" wrote:

    >> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:29:04 -0700, dennisjubb wrote:

    >>> Pc with xp connected to Linksys router/modem with usb ethernet cable.

    >> What model of Linksys router (I am just as lazy as you, and am not going to
    >> the Linksys site to find what you could have told us from the start), and
    >> did you use an Ethernet CAT 5e patch cord (oversize phone plugs on the
    >> ends), or a USB cable to connect it?

    > It is a Linksys Wag54gs and I have a blue ethernet cable connected to usb
    > adaptor as pc did not have ethernet slot

    Odd. I found this:

    ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/userguides/WAG54GS-EU_ug.pdf

    It does not either show, or mention, a USB connector on the gateway
    product. It has RJ-45 connectors for CAT 5e Ethernet patch cables; but I
    see nothing for USB.

    >>> Network connections shows
    >>>
    >>> Lan
    >>> Internet gateway-internet connection
    >>> ieee 1394
    >>>
    >>> if i check box to share interenet then i am cut off internet

    >> Why do you want to use ICS to share the connection? The Linksys will do
    >> that without running ICS.

    > Laptops are ok when connected to the linksys router with blue ethernet cable
    > and internet gateway appears. If we unplug cable and then try and connect
    > wirelessly, it comes up with connection-good strength. When we click on
    > internet explorer it states that it cannot find server. Not sure what I have
    > done wrong and what i should to fix it?

    You don't want to "Share the Internet". That will set up ICS, which turns
    the computer on which it is running into a router. You want to use the
    Linksys for sharing, not the computer.

    >>> Have got 2 wireless laptops that show wireless netwoek connections
    >>> but when they click internet explorer we get cannot find server.
    >>>
    >>> Ran network wizard on pc, copied to disc and ran on laptops.
    >>>
    >>> Need some guidance as I do not know what to do now
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks

    >> What IP address shows up on each laptop when you run ipconfig -all? What IP
    >> address is on the PC? The router should be 192.168.0.1, I believe; each
    >> computer should get 192.168.0.x, where 'x' can be any number between '2'
    >> and '254'.

    > IP address of pc is 192.168.101. Laptop is 192.168.1.100 and 102. Could
    > this be the problem and how can you change the ip adresses?
    >
    > As you see I am a learner
    >
    > appreciate any guidance

    I will assume that you made a typographical error in one of the IP
    addresses; and list what I expect you actually have:

    Linksys WAG54GS - 192.168.1.1
    Laptop (A) - 192.168.1.100
    Personal Computer - 192.168.1.101
    Laptop (B) - 192.168.1.102

    That is not a problem. Each device has to have a unique IP address in order
    to distinguish itself from the other devices. I would start with one of the
    laptops, and set it up on one of the wired ports on the Linksys. Verify
    that it can connect to the Internet, and display sites. Run ipconfig -all,
    and copy the output to a text file for reference. Then execute a "Release
    all" on the IP lease on the laptop, and power down. Disconnect the Ethernet
    cable, power it up again, and try to connect with the wireless. Once you
    confirm a good wireless connection, run ipconfig -all again. Compare the
    wireless ipconfig -all output with the wired ipconfig -all output.

    Especially, I would be interested in the gateway identification. Here is my
    output (using the GUI 'winipcfg' on Windows ME; there are some minor
    differences between what WinME shows and what WinXP shows):

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . : MEGUMI.aosake.net
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    206.13.31.12
    206.13.28.12
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

    Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : HP EN1207D-TX 10/100 Family Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-10-B5-77-E6-46
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.102.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.102.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.102.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 09 21 05 10:55:21
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 09 24 05 10:55:21

    Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : usb-usb network bridge adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-50-77-01-57-F2
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 172.29.61.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    To begin with, my network consists of:

    Netgear FR114P - 192.168.102.1 (This is a wired router.)
    Game Console - 192.168.102.12
    Computer (A) - 192.168.102.100
    Computer (B) - 192.168.102.101

    In the ipconfig -all output, the "HP EN1207D-TX 10/100 Family Adapter"
    entry is my wired LAN connection on Computer (A). Notice that the Default
    Gateway IP address is the same as that on the router: 192.168.102.1. In
    your output, your Linksys IP address should appear as the Defualt Gateway
    IP address, and it should be on the LAN adapter; the wireless adapter when
    you are trying to run wirless.

    The key point, perhaps, is to ensure that you know which Ethernet adapter
    does what in your ipconfig -all list. In my output, I have one true
    Ethernet adapter, one virtual Ethernet adapter, and one dial-up modem
    playing at being an Ethernet adapter.

    If you have both wired, and wireless adapters on the laptops, you need to
    ensure that your wired adapter is disconnected, and that the wireless
    adapter is pulling an IP address, and DNS servers, when it associates to
    the LAN in wireless mode.

    N. Miller, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Cocktail

    thanks for taking time to reply

    "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

    > "dennisjubb" <> wrote in message
    > > Pc with xp connected to Linksys router/modem with usb ethernet cable.
    > > Network connections shows
    > >
    > > Lan
    > > Internet gateway-internet connection
    > > ieee 1394
    > >
    > > if i check box to share interenet then i am cut off internet
    > >

    > You didnt say which you have clicked to share internet. You have to have the
    > right one clicked to do that which I think should be the LAN connection to
    > the Linksys.
    >
    > Next, on all computers you have to have the correct gateway (the linksys)
    > inserted.
    >
    > You also need to either put in a Bridge or have the 1394 network and the
    > Linksys on different subnet masks for it to work easily. Eg, the Linksys may
    > be in the 10.0.0.x range and the 1394 in the 192.168.0.x range.

    Newbie to this but I understand Lan but how does the 1394 network come into
    play and what does a bridge mean. Linksys is 192.168.1.1

    > However, rather than click to share, bridging has worked for me in the past.
    > I chose not to use it when it made all IP numbers auto assign and I use PC
    > Anywhere which needs manually assignd numbers.
    >
    > > Have got 2 wireless laptops that show wireless netwoek connections but
    > > when
    > > they click internet explorer we get cannot find server.
    > >

    > I would manually assign IP numbers, DNS numbers and gateway as a test to see
    > if they can find it, then. Your DNS assignment in your Linksys may not be
    > working right for any reason so find out your ISP's DNS numbers and put them
    > in on the wireless computers.

    Right clicked on wireless network to get properties and in the TCP/IP
    protocol bit I manually keyed in Tiscali IP adress, subnetmask of
    255.255.255.00 and default gateway of linksys 192.168.1.1. Then put in
    Tiscali DNS numbers as supplied.

    Really appreciate any help

    Dennis

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzanViYg==?=, Sep 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzanViYg==?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:30:06 -0700, dennisjubb wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:19:40 +1000, Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

    >> I would manually assign IP numbers, DNS numbers and gateway as a test to see
    >> if they can find it, then. Your DNS assignment in your Linksys may not be
    >> working right for any reason so find out your ISP's DNS numbers and put them
    >> in on the wireless computers.

    > Right clicked on wireless network to get properties and in the TCP/IP
    > protocol bit I manually keyed in Tiscali IP adress, subnetmask of
    > 255.255.255.00 and default gateway of linksys 192.168.1.1. Then put in
    > Tiscali DNS numbers as supplied.
    >
    > Really appreciate any help

    That was on one of the wireless laptops? Nothing will work in that fashion.
    I believe what Diamontina Cocktail was talking about was manually assigning
    an IP address within the scope of the wirless router LAN IP address. The
    router is 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The scope of
    that network is any IP address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254. So
    you would assign an IP address of, say, 192.168.1.10 to the laptop, subnet
    mask 255.255.255.0, and add your Tiscali DNS server IP addresses in the
    proper boxes. Use 192.168.1.20 for your second laptop. Set the gateway on
    both as 192.168.1.1. See if that works for you.

    N. Miller, Sep 24, 2005
  8. Thanks for that I will give it a go

    Cheers

    Dennis

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzanViYg==?=, Sep 24, 2005