    Adam

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Adam, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Adam

    °Mike° Guest

    A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
    your files across. The fastest method is to remove
    the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
    and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, in
    <>
    Adam scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    >A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
    >your files across. The fastest method is to remove
    >the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
    >and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.
    >

    >On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Adam scrawled:
    >

    >>Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST. Will any old serial
    >>cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
    >>instructions talk about a "Direct" cable. Thanks,
    >>Adam

    Just what is entailed in swapping drives. Is it just taking out and
    installing, or do I have to monkey around with settings. And, when
    replacing the drive tot he old machine, is that it, or is there more to
    it? I've installed zip drives and RAM, but that's about the length of
    my experience here. Thanks,
    Adam

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Adam, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Adam

    Jerry G. Guest

    You can either transfer from drive to drive, by installing the old drive as
    a second drive in the new machine, or you can install a network card in each
    machine. You can then make a simple peer to peer network. This would be the
    best. you can drag and drop the files across at 100 mb/Sec which is very
    quick. Having a network set-up is good, in case in the future you want to
    connector other machines to yours.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    Jerry G., Aug 18, 2004
  5. Adam

    Me Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:48:21 -0400, Adam <>
    wrote:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
    >>your files across. The fastest method is to remove
    >>the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
    >>and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.
    >>

    >>On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Adam scrawled:
    >>

    >>>Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST. Will any old serial
    >>>cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
    >>>instructions talk about a "Direct" cable. Thanks,
    >>>Adam
    >>>

    >Just what is entailed in swapping drives. Is it just taking out and
    >installing, or do I have to monkey around with settings. And, when
    >replacing the drive tot he old machine, is that it, or is there more to
    >it? I've installed zip drives and RAM, but that's about the length of
    >my experience here. Thanks,
    >Adam

    If you have to ask, don't try it. Either have someone do it for you, or use
    a cable.

    How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Me, Aug 18, 2004
  6. Adam

    Pennywise Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, Adam
    <> wrote:

    |> Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST

    |>Will any old serial
    |>cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
    |>instructions talk about a "Direct" cable.

    Any serial cable will work... but you will need a null-modem ($10 at
    radio shack) that you fit between the cable and serial port.

    Real slow going for what you want to do, Any of the other options
    given by the others are a better idea than this.

    Pennywise, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Adam

    °Mike° Guest

    See the reply from "Me".

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:48:21 -0400, in
    <>
    Adam scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
    >>your files across. The fastest method is to remove
    >>the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
    >>and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Adam

    °Mike° Guest

    Why are you telling me this?

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:52:21 -0400, in
    <>
    Jerry G. scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2004
  9. Adam

    Michael Guest

    A network would be a crap idea for just for a couple of files and the amount
    of time and money it would take to do.

    If you need to know how to fit a secondary hard drive do as follows:

    Unplug the hard drive out of the old pc

    Check your hard drive for 'jumpers' these go across 2 pins some hard drives
    will need these moved 2 the slave position they should be near the cable

    Find a clear bay inside this other computer and screw it in
    you might have to use your old screws

    Now connect the cables making sure that the IDE cable the wide 1 comes out
    of the motherboard into this 'slave' then the original 1 then plug in the
    power cables and boot her up

    Then just reverse this 2 put it back

    if you get any problems just email me

    Michael, Aug 24, 2004
  10. Michael wrote:
    > A network would be a crap idea for just for a couple of files and the
    > amount of time and money it would take to do.
    >
    > If you need to know how to fit a secondary hard drive do as follows:

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    2 off 100mbps NICs @ 15 Australian pesos each. One off crossover cable, 20m
    @ 10 Australian pesos.

    Sankh-re-hir-kheru XVI, Aug 24, 2004
  11. Pennywise <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, Adam
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > |> Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST
    >
    > |>Will any old serial
    > |>cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
    > |>instructions talk about a "Direct" cable.
    >
    > Any serial cable will work... but you will need a null-modem ($10 at
    > radio shack) that you fit between the cable and serial port.
    >
    > Real slow going for what you want to do, Any of the other options
    > given by the others are a better idea than this.

    For most mere mortals, a null-modem serial cable is way simpler /
    easier / "less stressful" than yanking out harddrives and shoving them
    in other machines, and plenty fast enough for most mere mortals.
    (atleast 114kbps? If I recall rightly. I haven't used serial in a few
    years, now days I use ethernet. ;) )

    Timothy Timbrook, Aug 24, 2004
  12. Adam

    Pennywise Guest

    On 24 Aug 2004 08:24:26 -0700, (Timothy Timbrook)
    wrote:

    |>Pennywise <> wrote in message news:<>...

    |>> Any serial cable will work... but you will need a null-modem ($10 at
    |>> radio shack) that you fit between the cable and serial port.
    |>>
    |>> Real slow going for what you want to do, Any of the other options
    |>> given by the others are a better idea than this.
    |>
    |>For most mere mortals, a null-modem serial cable is way simpler /
    |>easier / "less stressful" than yanking out harddrives and shoving them
    |>in other machines, and plenty fast enough for most mere mortals.
    |>(atleast 114kbps? If I recall rightly. I haven't used serial in a few
    |>years, now days I use ethernet. ;) )

    Agreed. Ripping a hard drive out and hooking it up to his other
    computer is defiantly not a viable option and not one I was referring
    to; that reply was added later.

    What I was getting at was a Network card(s), much better than a bit at
    a time, affordable, and be of use in the future.

    Pennywise, Aug 25, 2004