    Have you tried posting your problems
    not related to MS AntiSpyware to
    news://msnews.microsoft.com

    D@annyBoy, Apr 10, 2005

  2. D@annyBoy wrote:

    > connecting to the Net via a wirelss adsl router (not sure whether there's
    > a built in hardware firewall)
    > do I really need a software firewall?

    It is a good idea to have a firewall. However, remember protecting yourself
    by increasing your security has many parts. It is good system
    administration (not giving yourself local administrator privs, disabling
    active-x, etc) keeping up to date with patches, using anti virus software,
    using anti spyware software...and many, many more.

    If you do all these things then using a firewall is a good idea. If you do
    not do these things I suggest you start...

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Your router will act as a basic firewall to protect you from inbound traffic
    that your computer did not initiate which is by far the most important
    firewall protection. Host firewall protection is optional. If you have other
    computers on your network that you want to protect your computer from or
    other users use your computer and you want to restrict their internet
    activities then a host firewall makes sense. Beyond that there is little
    need if you follow other best practices to minimize the risk of malware and
    parasites. I personally do not use host firewalls at home and don't have a
    problem. They can be very confusing for the regular computer user. ---
    Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx --- Protect
    your PC.

    Steven L Umbach, Apr 10, 2005
  4. D@annyBoy

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    You want to be safe?

    You need Router NAT Firewall.

    Software Firewall

    Antivirus program and AntiSpyware program.

    Why?

    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

    Assemble Freeware Security Suit for Internet Connection:
    http://www.ezlan.net/security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Apr 11, 2005
  5. Jack (MVP) wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You want to be safe?
    >
    > You need Router NAT Firewall.
    >
    > Software Firewall
    >
    > Antivirus program and AntiSpyware program.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    >
    > Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
    >
    > Assemble Freeware Security Suit for Internet Connection:
    > http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Steven L Umbach" <> wrote in message
    >> Your router will act as a basic firewall to protect you from inbound
    >> traffic that your computer did not initiate which is by far the most
    >> important firewall protection. Host firewall protection is optional. If
    >> you have other computers on your network that you want to protect your
    >> computer from or other users use your computer and you want to restrict
    >> their internet activities then a host firewall makes sense. Beyond that
    >> there is little need if you follow other best practices to minimize the
    >> risk of malware and parasites. I personally do not use host firewalls at
    >> home and don't have a
    >> problem. They can be very confusing for the regular computer user. ---
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx ---
    >> Protect your PC.
    >>
    >> "D@annyBoy" <> wrote in message
    >> > connecting to the Net via a wirelss adsl router (not sure whether
    >> > there's a built in hardware firewall)
    >> > do I really need a software firewall?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > D@nnyBoy
    >> > Have you tried posting your problems
    >> > not related to MS AntiSpyware to

    I agree with all points except the "Router NAT firewall". Some people
    believe that NAT gives you a lot of security. It does not. In fact NAT
    breaks some protocols requiring kludge software (ie FTP active, SNMP, Video
    conferencing (H323 suite), RPCs, IPSec VPN, etc, etc). Because you need
    extra software to make these protocols work, you infact, are adding
    potential bugs and thus security holes. No only that but the "additional"
    software require to make NAT work for these protocols is not
    standardized...

    Use a regular firewall stay away from NAT. Remember, a firewall is only on
    piece of the picture. It all starts with good system administration...

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 11, 2005
  6. I disagree that a software firewall is needed when you have protection at
    the perimeter. It "may" be needed or used depending on the users
    environment and how he wants to manage risk. Even many of the lower priced
    NAT firewalls are doing stateful inspection. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Steven L Umbach wrote:

    > I disagree that a software firewall is needed when you have protection at
    > the perimeter. It "may" be needed or used depending on the users
    > environment and how he wants to manage risk. Even many of the lower priced
    > NAT firewalls are doing stateful inspection. --- Steve
    >

    > "Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> You want to be safe?
    >>
    >> You need Router NAT Firewall.
    >>
    >> Software Firewall
    >>
    >> Antivirus program and AntiSpyware program.
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    >>
    >> Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
    >>
    >> Assemble Freeware Security Suit for Internet Connection:
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "Steven L Umbach" <> wrote in message
    >>> Your router will act as a basic firewall to protect you from inbound
    >>> traffic
    >>> that your computer did not initiate which is by far the most important
    >>> firewall protection. Host firewall protection is optional. If you have
    >>> other
    >>> computers on your network that you want to protect your computer from or
    >>> other users use your computer and you want to restrict their internet
    >>> activities then a host firewall makes sense. Beyond that there is little
    >>> need if you follow other best practices to minimize the risk of malware
    >>> and
    >>> parasites. I personally do not use host firewalls at home and don't have
    >>> a
    >>> problem. They can be very confusing for the regular computer user. ---
    >>> Steve
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx ---
    >>> Protect
    >>> your PC.
    >>>
    >>> "D@annyBoy" <> wrote in message

    I think you mean PAT actually. A PAT "router" HAS TO DO STATEFULL inspection
    for it will not work...

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 11, 2005
  8. D@annyBoy

    D@annyBoy Guest

    thanks everyone for your invaluable comments

    --

    D@nnyBoy
    Have you tried posting your problems
    not related to MS AntiSpyware to

    and please don't bother to send me private mail
    because I don't check my mailbox regularly

    D@annyBoy, Apr 11, 2005
  9. The best system I have found is First a NAT router with a DMZ set to a
    fictitious IP address. This stops outsiders from accessing your network and
    makes the ports stealthed (try this link to see if you are stealthed
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 its called shields up).
    Next is McAfee's Internet security which has a personal firewall to stop
    dangerous information being extracted or sent from your machine and includes
    anti virus and spam blockers.

    =?Utf-8?B?VCBE?=, Apr 11, 2005
  10. D@annyBoy

    Robert Moir Guest

    D@annyBoy wrote:
    > connecting to the Net via a wirelss adsl router (not sure whether
    > there's a built in hardware firewall)
    > do I really need a software firewall?

    That depends - check the specs on the router to see if it functions as a
    firewall too. I'm not a big fan of "software firewalls" where an alternative
    exists, but we don't know if an alternative exists yet...

    As Michael Pelletier suggests, running with minimal user rights, disabling
    potentially dangerous features (especially those you don't use... why take a
    risk for no gain?), etc. are just as important.

    Rob Moir
    Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    Robert Moir, Apr 11, 2005