    Maybe I can do all I need by configuring the Vigor firewall Any comments

    Many thanks to all

    Mike Saunders

    Mike Saunders, May 28, 2004

  2. Mike Saunders

    Will Dormann Guest

    Mike Saunders wrote:

    > I am about to go to Broadband and have invested in a Vigor ADSL router with
    > built in hardware firewall. I am leaving it just as a NAT router until I
    > understand more about configuring the firewall (if this is needed) What I
    > would like to get clear on is what I need PC software wise
    >
    > Obviously some AV software but do I need a software firewall?. There seems
    > to be conflicting views here so whilst I do not want to encourage a shouting
    > match I would like to know from those who do not run a firewall as to what
    > they do as regards the trojan etc threats.

    A software firewall will give you the advantage of seeing what programs
    on your PC are going to want to create outgoing connections, and to
    where. If this is not important to you, then you can skip the software
    firewall.

    As for incoming connection attempts, the hardware firewall will take
    care of that.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, May 29, 2004

  3. On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:35:55 +0100, "Mike Saunders"
    <> wrote:

    >I am about to go to Broadband and have invested in a Vigor ADSL router with
    >built in hardware firewall. I am leaving it just as a NAT router until I
    >understand more about configuring the firewall (if this is needed) What I
    >would like to get clear on is what I need PC software wise
    >
    >Obviously some AV software but do I need a software firewall?. There seems
    >to be conflicting views here so whilst I do not want to encourage a shouting
    >match I would like to know from those who do not run a firewall as to what
    >they do as regards the trojan etc threats.
    >
    >Maybe I can do all I need by configuring the Vigor firewall Any comments
    >
    >Many thanks to all
    >
    >Mike Saunders

    I have a firewall in my LinkSys router AND a software firewall on each
    PC. Mostly not really needed,.. untill i read in the papers that my
    firewall had a security problem that allowed hackers to enter a pc...
    I was happy about the double firewall... so why not.
    More info:
    http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/antivirus___firewall.html
    --
    www.nondisputandum.com

    Protect, clean, tools, office, webbuilding
    newsfeeds, entertainment, searching
    + the internet addiction test!

    NonDisputandum.com, May 29, 2004
  4. Mike Saunders

    Chuck Guest

    wrote:

    >I am about to go to Broadband and have invested in a Vigor ADSL router with
    >built in hardware firewall. I am leaving it just as a NAT router until I
    >understand more about configuring the firewall (if this is needed) What I
    >would like to get clear on is what I need PC software wise
    >
    >Obviously some AV software but do I need a software firewall?. There seems
    >to be conflicting views here so whilst I do not want to encourage a shouting
    >match I would like to know from those who do not run a firewall as to what
    >they do as regards the trojan etc threats.
    >
    >Maybe I can do all I need by configuring the Vigor firewall Any comments
    >
    >Many thanks to all
    >
    >Mike Saunders

    Mike,

    A NAT router (does it have SPI?) is a good first layer defense. Using Defense
    In Depth, you really need more protection. Nobody knows what attack might come
    next, so be prepared. Most of the components mentioned below are free - any
    current, well maintained system can run all simultaneously.

    The second layer is a software firewall, or a port monitor like Port Explorer
    (free) from <http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/index.php?page=home>. See
    various discussions in comp.security.firewall for good advice on choosing a
    firewall.

    The third layer is good software. This layer has multiple components.

    AntiVirus protection. Realtime, plus a regularly scheduled virus scan.
    Regularly updated.

    Adware / spyware protection. Realtime, plus a regularly run adware / spyware
    scan. Regularly updated.
    Complete instructions, using Spybot S&D and HijackThis (both free) are here:
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>.

    Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
    vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
    https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

    Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly.
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
    use:
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    (The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

    Maintain your Hosts file with:
    eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
    Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

    Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
    any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
    an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
    administrative tasks.

    The fourth layer is common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon
    advice from unknown sources. Don't install free software, without researching
    it carefully. Don't open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why
    it was sent.

    The fifth layer is education. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read
    Usenet, and various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs
    from the other layers regularly, look for things that don't belong, and take
    action when necessary.

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, May 31, 2004