    --
    Paula Sims

    (Remove NO and SPAM when replying)

    Paula Sims, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Paula Sims

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Paula Sims" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
    > Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
    > should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
    > which one?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > --
    > Paula Sims
    >
    > (Remove NO and SPAM when replying

    A pen and tablet would make it much easier. Get a Wacom.

    Jim Waggener, Jul 25, 2003

  3. I find the mouse I have is better than the the tablet on my old computer.
    Coupled with keyboard short cuts the mouse should be good enough
    IMHOP.

    In article <>, Paula Sims <> wrote:

    > I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
    > Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
    > should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
    > which one?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > --
    > Paula Sims
    >
    > (Remove NO and SPAM when replying)

    --
    Check out my website @
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

    Considering eating out?; You may end up spending a fortune in cookies.

    Gregory W. Blank, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Paula Sims

    Charlie D Guest

    (Gregory W. Blank) wrote:

    > I find the mouse I have is better than the the tablet on my old computer.
    > Coupled with keyboard short cuts the mouse should be good enough
    > IMHOP.

    Same here.
    I have a Wacom and virtually never use it. Just try it once a year or so
    and see it doesn't help me. It may be good for painting from scratch,
    but for photo touch-up my Kensington trackball does it all. YMMV.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie D, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Paula Sims

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Paula Sims writes:

    > How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
    > should I just stick to my mouse?

    A pen and tablet is _mandatory_ for any serious work in Photoshop.

    > If I should go with the pen and tablet,
    > which one?

    Wacom.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Paula Sims

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paula Sims wrote:

    > I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
    > Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
    > should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
    > which one?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > --
    > Paula Sims
    >
    > (Remove NO and SPAM when replying)

    Personally I only use my tablet for art work, not for day to day
    retouching. As it is pressure sensitive it can be brilliant for
    manipulating images by hand, but if you're the kind of person who likes
    to do things by button presses I wouldn't bother.
    If you DO decide to buy one and are not going to use it for serious
    artwork then why bother with Wacom when there are cheaper tablets which
    would suffice.
    I have a Nisis, it was cheap, it does the job I want and the mouse which
    came with it was crap, which I understand is the usual case with these
    mice.

    So, to recap, buy a tablet if you want to work on pictures by hand,
    otherwise stick with yer mouse :O)
    --
    Paul. (This machine will, will not communicate)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Jul 25, 2003
  7. Paula Sims

    borge Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:59:34 GMT, Paula Sims
    <> wrote:

    >I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
    >Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
    >should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
    >which one?
    >
    >Thanks for your help

    If you really want to know, try to sign your signature with a mouse,
    It is like using the heel of a muddy boot compared to that of the pen
    on a Wacom - however you have to learn and not give up too soon.

    Borge
    For your information, my stats are:
    Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
    1 Gb memory,ADSL
    80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
    Borge Pedersen :)
    Perth, Australia
    mailto:
    remove SPAM for email

    borge, Jul 25, 2003
  8. "Paula Sims" <> wrote in message
    > I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
    > Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
    > should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
    > which one?

    If you have to do lots of retouching, get a Wacom (even the small ones offer
    speed and pressure control). Tracing outlines is also much quicker and
    accurate than I can do it with a mouse, but perhaps it's my mouse skills
    that are sub par ;-)
    I don't use the pen for routine navigation, but for smooth pressure/angle
    dependent strokes it is better IMHO.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 25, 2003
  9. Paula Sims

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <>,
    Mxsmanic <> wrote:

    > Charlie D writes:
    >
    > > It may be good for painting from scratch,
    > > but for photo touch-up my Kensington trackball
    > > does it all.

    > How does your trackball handle opacity and angle?

    With the "O" and "A" user addressable wheels. ;)

    Of course it doesn't handle it. I don't "draw" on my photos. I just do
    the things I did in the darkroom (plus dozens of others). That never
    included airbrushing or other gross changes.

    You certainly don't need a tablet for spotting or for the healing brush.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie D, Jul 25, 2003
  10. Paula Sims

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Charlie D writes:

    > I don't "draw" on my photos. I just do the things
    > I did in the darkroom (plus dozens of others). That never
    > included airbrushing or other gross changes.

    Even dodging and burning requires opacity control for best results.

    > You certainly don't need a tablet for spotting
    > or for the healing brush.

    You don't need a tablet for anything, strictly speaking. Then again,
    technically you don't need a mouse, either--you could just do everything
    with the keyboard. The difference is about the same between keyboard
    and mouse as it is between mouse and tablet, as anyone who has used all
    of these will confirm.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 25, 2003
  11. In article <>, Mxsmanic <> wrote:

    > A pen and tablet is _mandatory_ for any serious work in Photoshop.

    Thats an opinion & you should state it as such,....the Pro Lab I deal
    with and worked for never use any thing but the computer mouse
    They; I should add do hundreds of scans a week, for simple
    spotting the mouse is perfectly fine and alot less expensive
    its also works well for more in depth retouching.

    Gregory W. Blank, Jul 26, 2003
  12. Paula Sims

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Rafe B. <> wrote:

    >What with wireless optical mice, we've come a long
    >way -- mice are much more sensitive and accurate
    >than they used to be.

    That must be a recent thing. Last I checked, wireless mice could only
    report 50 locations per second; not enough to make me feel connected to
    the computer. I run my PS/2 corded optical at 200 reports per second.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jul 26, 2003
  13. Paula Sims

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Gregory W. Blank writes:

    > Thats an opinion & you should state it as such ...

    Since I'm not omniscient, it's reasonable to expect others to take
    anything I say as opinion. In any case, I'm not going to put IMO at the
    end of every statement I make.

    > ... the Pro Lab I deal with and worked for never
    > use any thing but the computer mouse.

    That's their loss, not mine.

    > They; I should add do hundreds of scans a week,
    > for simple spotting the mouse is perfectly fine
    > and alot less expensive its also works well for
    > more in depth retouching.

    That's what I thought, until I bought a Wacom. Now I can't believe the
    time I wasted and the garbage I produced because of the constraints of a
    mouse.

    Preparing scans adequately requires more than just removing a few spots,
    too.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 26, 2003
  14. Paula Sims

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 26/7/03 2:31 am, "Gregory W. Blank" <> wrote:

    >> A pen and tablet is _mandatory_ for any serious work in Photoshop.

    > Thats an opinion & you should state it as such,....the Pro Lab I deal
    > with and worked for never use any thing but the computer mouse
    > They; I should add do hundreds of scans a week, for simple
    > spotting the mouse is perfectly fine and alot less expensive
    > its also works well for more in depth retouching.

    Having used a Wacom Graphire for a number of years now I find it
    unbelievable that anyone who has used both could find a mouse any more than
    barely adequate in comparison for image editing.

    I found the benefit of the pen and tablet to far exceed the price.

    Pat
    --
    Photos at:
    http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?Format=Cell&AcctID=1251

    Pat Chaney, Jul 26, 2003
  15. Paula Sims <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
    > Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
    > should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
    > which one?

    BTW, can a pen and a tablet be used (or connected to the computer) at
    the same time with a mouse? I'm left-handed (I use pen with my left
    hand but use mouse with my right hand), so I'd need a tablet that can
    be used on the left side of the keyboard, while at the same time
    having a mouse on the right-hand side.

    I know that many tablets have a wireless mouse included, but I have
    understood that those mice are usually not very good. So I would like
    to have the tablet but also a separate wired optical mouse connedted
    at the same time. Will this result in problems? My operating system of
    choise is Windows XP, if that matters.

    -Antti

    Antti Heiskanen, Jul 26, 2003
  16. Paula Sims

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Antti Heiskanen writes:

    > BTW, can a pen and a tablet be used (or connected to the computer) at
    > the same time with a mouse?

    They can both be connected and available. If you literally try to use
    them simultaneously, they'll "fight," because the pen tries to position
    the cursor at an absolute location on the screen, while the mouse tries
    to move it relatively to another location. It doesn't hurt anything,
    but it serves no purpose.

    In contrast, you can switch instantly between them if you want, moving
    first the mouse and then the pen, or vice versa. The pen is normally
    configured to use absolute positioning so that a given spot on the
    tablet always represents the same spot on the display, whereas a mouse
    is normally configured for relative positioning, so that moving the
    mouse moves the cursor from wherever it currently is, without
    respositioning it in an absolute sense.

    > I'm left-handed (I use pen with my left hand but use mouse
    > with my right hand), so I'd need a tablet that can be used
    > on the left side of the keyboard, while at the same time
    > having a mouse on the right-hand side.

    I have a set up like that, except that I have the mouse on the left and
    the tablet on the right. I'm right-handed, so I keep the tablet on the
    right for very precise work, and the mouse on the left for simple cursor
    operations. It took a bit of getting used to, as I previously had moved
    the mouse with the right hand, but now I'm accustomed to it and it works
    great!

    > I know that many tablets have a wireless mouse included,
    > but I have understood that those mice are usually not
    > very good.

    Skip the included mouse. Just get the tablet and use your existing
    mouse. I have a Wacom tablet at my right and my old, reliable Microsoft
    mouse at my left. The mouse is cranked up to maximum speed, so that it
    covers the entire screen with about one inch of movement. This works
    well for fast operations, whereas I can use the tablet for slow or
    precision stuff.

    Having two pointers like this also is convenient when you need to type
    things at the same time.

    In practice, I use the tablet mostly with Photoshop and Illustrator, and
    the mouse for most other things, although I use the tablet whenever I
    need precise screen movements (the tablet can resolve 100 points per
    millimetre and 1024 levels of pressure, so it is very precise indeed).

    > So I would like to have the tablet but also a separate
    > wired optical mouse connedted at the same time. Will this
    > result in problems? My operating system of
    > choise is Windows XP, if that matters.

    There will be no problems. The two work together just fine.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 26, 2003
  17. Paula Sims

    Tom Elliott Guest

    > BTW, can a pen and a tablet be used (or connected to the computer) at
    > the same time with a mouse? I'm left-handed (I use pen with my left
    > hand but use mouse with my right hand), so I'd need a tablet that can
    > be used on the left side of the keyboard, while at the same time
    > having a mouse on the right-hand side.

    I have an old 4x5 wacom with a cordless pen.
    I love it.
    I can have it working with the normal mouse.
    I am right handed

    Tom Elliott, Jul 27, 2003
  18. Paula Sims

    pjp Guest

    I've had up to 4 "mice" connected at once on this system.

    1 : (PS2) Logitech 3 button plus scroll wheel
    2 : (USB) Kensington trackball, 5 buttons and scroll wheel
    3 : (USB) Wacom "Graphire" tablet (approx. 6x8") (or whatever it's called)
    4 : (Serial Port) Summagraphics large digitizing tablet (approx. 14x14")
    with 4 button puck (or pen, have both)

    Never had any problems during normal use but some additional comments seem
    appropriate ...

    Summagraphics was just too large for a desktop plus there seemed to be a
    "lag" with detecting button presses.

    The Kensington was a pile of junk

    Wife loves the Wacom (arthritis in wrist so mouse is a problem over extended
    period). She uses it mainly for Autocad stuff

    I do NOT use the tablet, I've tried to like it but I can't find a convenient
    way to hold pen and use the "side" buttons.

    I'm also sure anyone trying to use the tablet in any 1st person shooter type
    of game etc. wouldn't stand a chance against someone with a mouse :)

    P.S. The "mouse" that came with the Wacom sits on a shelve unused. It only
    works on the tablet's surface and although no moving parts is nice, the
    mouse itself feels and acts "cheap".

    pjp, Jul 27, 2003
  19. Mxsmanic <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Antti Heiskanen writes:
    >
    > > BTW, can a pen and a tablet be used (or connected to the computer) at
    > > the same time with a mouse?

    > They can both be connected and available.

    Thanks for your very informative reply, you answered all the questions
    I had about using a tablet! I'm off to purchase a Wacom Graphire 2 (or
    Intuous 2 4x6 if I can find a good deal).

    -Antti

    Antti Heiskanen, Jul 27, 2003
  20. Paula Sims

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Antti Heiskanen writes:

    > I'm off to purchase a Wacom Graphire 2 (or
    > Intuous 2 4x6 if I can find a good deal).

    All Wacom tablets are good deals, simply because they are so useful.
    Their usefulness is remembered long after the price is forgotten (to
    paraphrase Gucci).

    Mxsmanic, Jul 27, 2003