    multi segmented cache buffer.

    If it is the disk how do I ensure that the one I replace it with will be
    compatible. What do I ask for, what size can I go up to.
    stickems, Aug 7, 2003

  2. stickems

    Brian H¹© Guest

    stickems said:

    > I am repairing my former PC to use as a backup in case this one crashes.
    > The symptoms are:- When I start it up the disk comes to life (I hear it
    > whirring) then it stops. The disk is not detected i.e Primary master -
    > none - is what it says as it is booting up. When I try to boot from a floppy
    > disk it gives me the message - can't detect hard disk.
    >
    > I've checked the data cable and it seems to be OK.
    >
    > The motherboard is a Mycomp T16NB+ 440BX/Apollo ProPlus ATX
    >
    > The disk is Seagate ST32140A 2GB IDE (10ms) 16.6MB/s DTR (Mode 4 PIO) 128KB
    > multi segmented cache buffer.
    >
    > If it is the disk how do I ensure that the one I replace it with will be
    > compatible. What do I ask for, what size can I go up to.

    Are you certain that the jumper on the drive is set to Master?
    Have you tried changing the BIOS setting to stop it doing an Auto check?
    Brian H¹©, Aug 7, 2003

  3. stickems

    Patrick Guest

    stickems wrote:
    > There are no jumpers on the drive.

    This page says that thiere *are* jumpers
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st32140a.html

    Patrick, Aug 7, 2003
  4. stickems

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > stickems wrote:
    >> There are no jumpers on the drive.

    > This page says that thiere *are* jumpers
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st32140a.html

    Sorry, it's possible you meant 'no jumpers *applied*' which would make it
    'One drive only'.

    Patrick, Aug 7, 2003
  5. stickems

    stickems Guest

    Thanks for that Patrick. I didn't realise that those were jumper pins. I
    thought it was an unused socket.
    Anyhow, there are no jumpers applied.

    stickems, Aug 7, 2003
  6. stickems

    Patrick Guest

    stickems wrote:
    > Thanks for that Patrick. I didn't realise that those were jumper
    > pins. I thought it was an unused socket.
    > Anyhow, there are no jumpers applied.

    Well your only using the one drive at present so that's OK.
    On below page thiere are downloadable diagnostics facilitys, at the bottom
    of the page (middle column) is a button 'Read more' and buton 'Download
    now', press readmore and thieres option to download same file thiere.
    What happens is that when you.ve downloaded the file, you run it and it
    makes a bootable floppy.
    I don't know if it will give results in 'english' or error numbers. If it
    gives error-number reports then these can be checked at the site.
    Anyways, here the new link,

    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
    link is but another part of same site by the way, so perhaps have a look
    around thiere.

    Patrick, Aug 7, 2003