    how does that remove the need for a BT landline subscription if the
    provider is not BT?

    Thanks in advance to anyone who has explored these issues in the UK.
    anthonyberet, Jan 16, 2007

  2. anthonyberet wrote:
    > I live in London.
    > I have a broadband internet provider, who I am quite happy with.
    > However, I wonder if I am getting value for money, as I also pay for a
    > BT landline, which I hardly ever use. The few times I do use it I am
    > likely to use a 3rd-party provider for cheap international calls.
    >
    > I would like to drop the BT landline, and perhaps move over to a VOIP
    > service for calls. However, can I do this and still retain my broadband
    > connection? Do I need to get a combined phone/isp package? and if so,
    > how does that remove the need for a BT landline subscription if the
    > provider is not BT?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who has explored these issues in the UK.

    BT currently provides your local loop to your exchange. Your ISP uses
    that local loop to deliver broadband. Whether you *can* use another
    local loop provider or cable depends on your location. In the middle of
    Dartmoor, my options are BT or, erm, do without a landline and go to
    satellite broadband.

    There are no legal implications other than those of the fine print of
    your contract with BT, your current ISP and any future contracts you may
    enter into - particularly things like minimum contract period.

    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

    --
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Jan 16, 2007

  3. anthonyberet

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > I live in London.
    > I have a broadband internet provider, who I am quite happy with.
    > However, I wonder if I am getting value for money, as I also pay for a
    > BT landline, which I hardly ever use. The few times I do use it I am
    > likely to use a 3rd-party provider for cheap international calls.

    uk.telecom.broadband might be a better place to start, but i'll have a
    go with the limited knowledge I have :-}

    You're normally on a cable tv connection by the sounds of it - do they
    offer any VoIP facilities themselves ? If you want to ask some in-depth
    questions, look for Alex Brown over at uk.telecom.broadband - IIRC he's
    one of the head guys of the internet division at Telewest. You can
    probably work out his email address, just put a . in between his
    forename and surname at the ISP :p (spam avoidance tactic :-} )

    Do you need a dedicated telephone, or are you happy to use it "shared"
    with your PC using something like Skype ?

    AFAIK VoIP has problems with emergency calls, and you may find you are
    not actually able to make one at all. Some of this might be due to the
    difficulty in locating your actual location, but ISTR something
    mentioned on the BBC news site 4-5 months ago where the government were
    trying to come up with a work-around.
    Colin Wilson, Jan 16, 2007
  4. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> I live in London.
    >> I have a broadband internet provider, who I am quite happy with.
    >> However, I wonder if I am getting value for money, as I also pay for a
    >> BT landline, which I hardly ever use. The few times I do use it I am
    >> likely to use a 3rd-party provider for cheap international calls.

    > uk.telecom.broadband might be a better place to start, but i'll have a
    > go with the limited knowledge I have :-}
    >
    > You're normally on a cable tv connection by the sounds of it - do they
    > offer any VoIP facilities themselves ? If you want to ask some in-depth
    > questions, look for Alex Brown over at uk.telecom.broadband - IIRC he's
    > one of the head guys of the internet division at Telewest. You can
    > probably work out his email address, just put a . in between his
    > forename and surname at the ISP :p (spam avoidance tactic :-} )
    >
    > Do you need a dedicated telephone, or are you happy to use it "shared"
    > with your PC using something like Skype ?
    >
    > AFAIK VoIP has problems with emergency calls, and you may find you are
    > not actually able to make one at all. Some of this might be due to the
    > difficulty in locating your actual location, but ISTR something
    > mentioned on the BBC news site 4-5 months ago where the government were
    > trying to come up with a work-around.

    Thanks - just to clarify, I don't have cable TV. At present my BB is
    delivered on the BT line.
    anthonyberet, Jan 16, 2007
  5. anthonyberet

    Mark Hewitt Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks - just to clarify, I don't have cable TV. At present my BB is
    > delivered on the BT line.

    For a residential propery that's basically your only two choices. BT line or
    cable.
    And unless things have changed cable will force you to pay line rental too.
    Mark Hewitt, Jan 16, 2007
  6. anthonyberet

    Alex Guest

    At 08:35:04 on 16/01/2007, Mark Hewitt delighted uk.legal by announcing:

    > "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Thanks - just to clarify, I don't have cable TV. At present my BB
    > > is delivered on the BT line.

    > For a residential propery that's basically your only two choices. BT
    > line or cable. And unless things have changed cable will force you
    > to pay line rental too.

    Only if you take their phone service. If you only take broadband
    and/or TV then there's no phone line and no line rental.
    Alex, Jan 16, 2007
  7. anthonyberet

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-16, anthonyberet <> wrote:
    > I live in London.
    > I have a broadband internet provider, who I am quite happy with.
    > However, I wonder if I am getting value for money, as I also pay for a
    > BT landline, which I hardly ever use. The few times I do use it I am
    > likely to use a 3rd-party provider for cheap international calls.
    >
    > I would like to drop the BT landline, and perhaps move over to a VOIP
    > service for calls. However, can I do this and still retain my broadband
    > connection? Do I need to get a combined phone/isp package? and if so,
    > how does that remove the need for a BT landline subscription if the
    > provider is not BT?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who has explored these issues in the UK.

    For ADSL, you need a telephone line. Cable TV companies do offer combined
    TV, internet, and telephone, services over their cables - but you are
    restricted to using your cable company's services on their cable.

    There are essentially two options for an ADSL connection: a phone line
    provided and serviced by BT [1] with an internet connection provided by
    them or by someone else; or a phone line and internet connection provided
    by someone else.

    There are complications, though. ISP/telephone companies have two options
    for the hardware: they can get a 'wholesale' deal with BT to provide the
    actual phone line etc, but the billing will be handled by the independent
    company, or they can 'unbundle the local loop' and take over complete
    control of the telephone connection between your house and the telephone
    exchange. (The actual wire doesn't need to be touched for that to happen;
    just who owns it and whose equipment it is plugged into inside the
    exchange).

    If your telephone line is managed by an independent telephone company but
    is really a 'resold' BT line, then even though your telephone company (to
    whom you pay telephone line rental) is not BT, you may still be able to get
    an ADSL service from an ISP that requires you to have "a BT line". I do
    that; my telephone service is provided by TalkTalk
    <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-home-Home> but is in
    reality a 'resold' BT line, and my ADSL internet service over that line is
    provided by the UK Free Software Network (UKFSN <http://www.ukfsn.org/>)
    (which is in fact a reseller of the 'wholesale' service provided by Entanet
    <http://www.enta.net/>). I do not use TalkTalk's own ADSL service - 'Free
    Broadband' isn't, really, if you can pay less overall for something else.
    (Also check the reviews at <http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.shtml>).

    If your telephone line has been 'unbundled' from BT to some other
    telephone company, you may be restricted to using only that company's ADSL
    services.

    [1] one slight complication; in Hull, for historical reasons, read
    'Kingston Communications' instead of 'BT'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 16, 2007
  8. anthonyberet

    zaax Guest

    Mark Hewitt wrote:

    > "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Thanks - just to clarify, I don't have cable TV. At present my BB
    > > is delivered on the BT line.

    > For a residential propery that's basically your only two choices. BT
    > line or cable. And unless things have changed cable will force you
    > to pay line rental too.

    NTL don't - you can have a cable modem and not take the phone

    --
    zaax
    zaax, Jan 16, 2007
  9. anthonyberet

    Mark Hewitt Guest

    "zaax" < > wrote in message
    > Mark Hewitt wrote:
    >

    >> "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > Thanks - just to clarify, I don't have cable TV. At present my BB
    >> > is delivered on the BT line.

    >> For a residential propery that's basically your only two choices. BT
    >> line or cable. And unless things have changed cable will force you
    >> to pay line rental too.

    > NTL don't - you can have a cable modem and not take the phone

    I'd get it quickly then, as next month it all changes to Virgin Media and
    then all bets are off.
    Mark Hewitt, Jan 16, 2007