    Can a qualified MS trainer answer - from the above limited description of skills - Would I struggle with new concepts/jargon/ technology ? -
    In short is course 2208 appropriate to me or would a more fundamental course be of use

    thank yo

    Mart the bike, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Mart the bike

    Neil Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?TWFydCB0aGUgYmlrZQ==?=" <>
    wrote in news::

    > Hello,
    > I have a background in Unix - a smattering of NT4 ( create accounts -
    > understand tcp/ip). also Fundamental skills mastered for Novell
    >
    > A course has come up - the 2208 - Upgrading Support Skills from
    > Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 to Microsoft Windows server 2003 having read
    > the pre - requisites - I am not an MCSE , have not done course 689:
    > Supporting Microsoft Windows nT 4.0- Enterprise Technolgies - BUT have
    > a few of the skills listed - interpret stop screens/fault find/examin
    > registry using reg.edit tools
    >
    > Can a qualified MS trainer answer - from the above limited description
    > of skills - Would I struggle with new concepts/jargon/ technology ? -
    > In short is course 2208 appropriate to me or would a more fundamental
    > course be of use ?
    >
    > thank you

    You should be ok in this course. there are some items in the new technology
    that you may have to work your way into but based on the statment of
    previous Unix/Novell experience you should be able to relate some of what
    you have learned there in this course. some items like DHCP and DNS are
    non-MS specific so you should be ok. others such as AD concepts will be
    similar to previously learn items (Novell NDS). others are MS specific
    (Group Policy Objects) and you should not assume that this course will
    cover all aspects of 2k3 (you would have learned it from the previous 2k
    courses you took is the assumption)

    I would recommend against 2209/2210. The workshop courses are geared very
    mouch towards people who have a prior MS cert in Win2k. I found that the
    lecture protions of the class was left intentionally light so that more
    time could be spent on labs. this doesn't leave a lot of room for student
    questions, so even if you _think_ this course might not be for you, it
    isn't. 2209 is also very tight for time (last time I taught it) and
    somewhat vague on the directions (spent a lot of the time explaining what
    MS wanted you to do in the labs). There are new terms/concepts etc. that
    build on assumed knowledge. It's not insurmountable, but I would strongly
    recommend against it.

    HTH

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30