    lindows or linux....Please help for what its worth all my
    other machine are dedicated windows builds.. thanx

    Darin RAy
    darinsray, Apr 24, 2004

  2. darinsray

    azimuth40 Guest

    darinsray wrote:
    > *Please help me load lindows onto a clean hard drive i keep
    > getting no ntldr and ifso please tell me what are some
    > easy floppy or disc formating utilities prior to loading
    > lindows or linux....Please help for what its worth all my
    > other machine are dedicated windows builds.. thanx
    >
    > Darin RAy *

    Whoa I think that you need to do a little reading. ntldr not found i
    a message that you get if the disk was formatted with an NT based OS
    NT, 2K, XP. You will get it even if you have a floppy in the driv
    that was formatted by an NT based OS. Normally depending on th
    distribution you just boot the CD.

    If your system is not set up for a CD boot then you will need to g
    into the CMOS set up to configure it. If your system is so old that i
    can not handle a boot from CD then you will need a boot floppy.

    Linux uses a different file system and multiple partitions and it
    install routines should handle it for you. There are distribution
    that can co-exist using container logic. That may be your Installabl
    File System Option (IFSO) but who knows with the info that yo
    provided.

    How you proceed next really depends on the specific details of what yo
    are trying to do. You could just down load a Knoppix ISO which is
    Linux distribution that runs from the CD to see if you even grok Linux

    azimuth4
    azimuth40, Apr 24, 2004

  3. darinsray

    no one Guest

    ntldr not found is
    >a message that you get if the disk was formatted with an

    NT based OS,
    >NT, 2K, XP. You will get it even if you have a floppy

    in the drive
    >that was formatted by an NT based OS. Normally

    depending on the
    >distribution you just boot the CD.
    >
    >If your system is not set up for a CD boot then you will

    need to go
    >into the CMOS set up to configure it. If your system is

    so old that it
    >can not handle a boot from CD then you will need a boot

    floppy.
    <snip>
    if it is so old that it can't handle a boot from CD then
    it's probably too old to run W2K or higher! Ya gotta have
    some horsepower(read processor, ram) in order for it to
    work. and also a hd big enough to hold the os and your
    data (20 GB, minimum)
    no one, Apr 27, 2004
  4. darinsray

    azimuth40 Guest

    no one wrote:
    > *
    > <snip>
    > if it is so old that it can't handle a boot from CD then
    > it's probably too old to run W2K or higher! Ya gotta have
    > some horsepower(read processor, ram) in order for it to
    > work. and also a hd big enough to hold the os and your
    > data (20 GB, minimum) *

    Hmmm did you read the original or are you not a Linux person? Ther
    are plenty of PII's around that won't boot from CD and run win2k or XP
    Through most laptops of that era into that group also. It really ha
    to do with the BIOS and not the hardware. MB makers could buy the BIO
    with or without the code saving a few pennies per system. Marketin
    force from MS eventually made them all fall in line by PIII time.

    One should also note that regardless of what you or I think o
    potential performance, the requirements for 2K and XP are quite fruga
    by todays standards. Secondly the boot device had to be formatted by a
    NT based OS to get that message unless they used partition magic

    azimuth4
    azimuth40, Apr 28, 2004