    Views welcomed! Thanks.
    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Aug 9, 2009

  2. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    philo wrote:
    > ~BD~ wrote:
    >> Back in 1998 I ventured onto the Internet using my brand new Dell
    >> (Pentium PII) and Windows 95.
    >>
    >> I happened across PCPitstop. It seemed very good and reliable in
    >> those days but has become highly commercial nowadays
    >>
    >> Here is the link http://www.pcpitstop.com/
    >>
    >> Views welcomed! Thanks.
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >>

    > Though I am not going to bother opening the link...
    > most of the "performance-boosting" utilities are nothing but a waste
    > of money.
    >
    > If any of them do any good at all, for the most part don't do anything
    > beyond what is already possible using Window's own built-in utilities.
    >
    > True, you do need a virus checker etc...
    >
    > but between performing an occasional disk-cleanup
    > and defrag...plus setting the system for "best performance" in the
    > control panel is generally all that's needed for decent performance

    Thanks for your views,'philo'.

    One reason I asked is because they provide an anti-virus programme for
    use with an Apple MacIntosh - few other organisations yet have same
    available. I downloaded same onto my iMac at home (I'm on my boat at the
    moment with a laptop and Windows XP Home) and seemed to suffer no ill
    effects.

    Maybe someone reading here will provide a view on where best to post a
    HighJackThis log for review. I've used www.hijackthis.de from time to
    time, but am not certain one will get an unbiased review if one's
    computer has already been infected.
    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Aug 9, 2009

  3. ~BD~

    philo Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>> Back in 1998 I ventured onto the Internet using my brand new Dell
    >>> (Pentium PII) and Windows 95.
    >>>
    >>> I happened across PCPitstop. It seemed very good and reliable in
    >>> those days but has become highly commercial nowadays
    >>>
    >>> Here is the link http://www.pcpitstop.com/
    >>>
    >>> Views welcomed! Thanks.
    >>> --
    >>> Dave
    >>>

    >> Though I am not going to bother opening the link...
    >> most of the "performance-boosting" utilities are nothing but a waste
    >> of money.
    >>
    >> If any of them do any good at all, for the most part don't do anything
    >> beyond what is already possible using Window's own built-in utilities.
    >>
    >> True, you do need a virus checker etc...
    >>
    >> but between performing an occasional disk-cleanup
    >> and defrag...plus setting the system for "best performance" in the
    >> control panel is generally all that's needed for decent performance

    > Thanks for your views,'philo'.
    >
    > One reason I asked is because they provide an anti-virus programme for
    > use with an Apple MacIntosh - few other organisations yet have same
    > available. I downloaded same onto my iMac at home (I'm on my boat at the
    > moment with a laptop and Windows XP Home) and seemed to suffer no ill
    > effects.

    Oh for some reason I thought you were using a PC

    Though I have a few old MAC's I don't know much about the new ones...
    but doubt if a virus checker is needed,
    though if you download files and pass them along to PC users, I suppose
    a virus scanner would not be a bad idea

    philo, Aug 9, 2009
  4. ~BD~

    DL Guest

    Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
    Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7
    http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showforum=18
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?s=2e9ea4e19d3289dd877ab75a8220bff6&showforum=29

    DL, Aug 9, 2009
  5. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    DL wrote:
    > Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
    > Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.
    >
    > http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
    > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
    > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
    > http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7
    > http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showforum=18
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?s=2e9ea4e19d3289dd877ab75a8220bff6&showforum=29

    I will respect your request, DL

    However, will you please explain *why* you/others do not wish to see HJT
    logs posted here.

    Thanks.

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Aug 9, 2009
  6. ~BD~

    philo Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > DL wrote:
    >> Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
    >> Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

    Go here for expert advice

    http://www.hijackthis.de/

    If you post it on the 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    chances are you will get a lot of "garbage" for replies

    philo, Aug 9, 2009
  7. ~BD~

    Guest

    "~BD~" <> wrote:

    >DL wrote:
    >> Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
    >> Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

    >I will respect your request, DL
    >
    >However, will you please explain *why* you/others do not wish to see HJT
    >logs posted here.

    There is only one person who will go thru the log and tell you what's
    wrong.

    Me, I'm not going to take the time, If I decide to, cause there's
    nothing else to do at that moment. I'll just paste it to
    http://hijackthis.de/en and mention the site if I notice any problems.

    But you have to put a stop to HJT logs being posted, or that's all
    you'll start seeing posted.

    And I hate having a file I want to know something about, like what it
    does. So I google the file, and all I get is HJT logs with the
    filename in the log.

    I noticed a new one today called MBAM, thought I'd give it a try
    (thinking it was close to HJT) but the first few lines of the log
    mentioned that it only took 1 hour and 44 minutes to complete :)

    As for it being unbiased in it's reporting, it's been suggested to
    rename HJT as some malware will watch for it being run, and go
    stealth; quit, until the next reboot, or something to hide. Can't give
    any examples, I think it's some ones idea to rename HJT, as being safe
    hex.

    But just in case my HJT file is named renamedHijackthis.exe
    --

    Ooops
    http://olesiafx.com/news/archives/1303

    , Aug 13, 2009