Do file permissions exist on non-NT Windows systems?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Sale, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Sale

    Sale Guest

    On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with

    >The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    >*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    >*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
    >(D:\....Path....\***.DOC)

    The D:\ drive exists and the document is copied to it from a floppy,
    (in *.zip format,) and then unzipped. I think the original zipping
    took place on a NT-based mahine, but I'm not sure of the file system.

    I took the original *.zip file home, unzipped it on my WinXP/NTFS
    machine, and the document opened normally. I saved it, zipped it and
    took it back to the neighbor, who was now able to open the file.

    For all I know, there are no such things as "File Permissions" on
    FAT/FAT32 systems, but...what was all this?

    Any comments will be appreciated.

    Best regards

    Sale

    Sale, Apr 3, 2004

  2. Sale

    N1POP Guest

    Sale wrote:
    > For all I know, there are no such things as "File Permissions" on
    > FAT/FAT32 systems, but...what was all this?

    File permissions used to be called attributes, and they've been around
    for a long time. Attributes are Read-only, Archive, System, and Hidden.
    Check the file properties (in DOS, type ATTRIB filename) and make sure
    that Read-only, System, and Hidden are not set.

    N1POP, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Sale wrote:

    > On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with
    >

    >>The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    >>*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    >>*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
    >>(D:\....Path....\***.DOC)

    > The D:\ drive exists and the document is copied to it from a floppy,
    > (in *.zip format,) and then unzipped. I think the original zipping
    > took place on a NT-based mahine, but I'm not sure of the file system.

    On Windows 98 with a FAT32 disk it's not going to be a problem with
    permissions. I am right in thinking win98 can't read NTFS aren't I?
    Check that the file size is something similar to what it should be,
    perhaps the file has got corrupted. The last time I got that error I
    resorted to opening the file in notepad and re-creating the word
    document from what text I could recover.

    --
    Richard Kirkcaldy

    Richard Kirkcaldy, Apr 3, 2004
  4. Sale

    Sale Guest

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:06:27 +0200, Sale <> wrote:

    >On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with
    >
    >>The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    >>*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    >>*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
    >>(D:\....Path....\***.DOC)

    >The D:\ drive exists and the document is copied to it from a floppy,
    >(in *.zip format,) and then unzipped. I think the original zipping
    >took place on a NT-based mahine, but I'm not sure of the file system.
    >
    >I took the original *.zip file home, unzipped it on my WinXP/NTFS
    >machine, and the document opened normally. I saved it, zipped it and
    >took it back to the neighbor, who was now able to open the file.
    >
    >For all I know, there are no such things as "File Permissions" on
    >FAT/FAT32 systems, but...what was all this?
    >
    >Any comments will be appreciated.
    >
    >Best regards
    >
    >Sale

    Thanks for the replies...I didn't think of checking the origina file
    attributes but I guess what confused me the most was that the file was
    unzipped and opened normally on an NTFS HD, as well as on a FAT32
    after I re-zipped and re-saved it on NTFS. The file was originally
    copied to both drives from a floppy.

    Thanks anyway

    Sale

    Sale, Apr 4, 2004
  5. Sale

    Voyager Guest

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:06:27 +0200, Sale wrote:

    > On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with
    >
    >>The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    >>*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    >>*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.

    I have received that error message many times, as has one of my co-workers.

    It is completely 100% bogus.

    What it really meant in every single case where I have encountered it was
    "Your document is corrupt."

    <insert derogatory comment about Microsoft here>

    --
    Voyager
    Webmaster: http://www.hackfaq.org

    Voyager, Apr 5, 2004