    Consumers and the photography trade are expected to widely condemn the
    EU following its controversial decision on digital camera import duty
    that could mean some models become more expensive

    Rich, Jul 18, 2007

  2. Rich

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >When are you guys going to stage a revolution to stop your governments
    >from taking every cent you earn??

    Moron.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jul 18, 2007

  3. Rich

    Watcher Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > When are you guys going to stage a revolution to stop your governments
    > from taking every cent you earn??
    >
    > Consumers face digital camera import duty price threat
    > Tuesday 17th July 2007
    >
    > Consumers and the photography trade are expected to widely condemn the
    > EU following its controversial decision on digital camera import duty
    > that could mean some models become more expensive

    I don't know Canada has pretty high taxes, and the equipment is more
    expensive than in the USA, and that's even with our dollar running at
    95¢ on the USA dollar.

    Watcher, Jul 18, 2007
  4. Rich

    Faz Guest

    It's paying for our free medical system...............

    Faz, Jul 18, 2007
  5. Rich

    Pete D Guest

    LOL. Hope it's better than ours!!

    Pete D, Jul 18, 2007
  6. Rich

    Gladiator Guest

    On 18 Jul 2007 03:17:46 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Moron.

    Pot calling the kettle black, tsk, tsk.

    Gladiator, Jul 18, 2007
  7. Rich

    Gladiator Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:08:51 GMT, "Faz" <>
    wrote:

    >It's paying for our free medical system...............

    Free? If taxes are paying for it then it is not free.

    Gladiator, Jul 18, 2007
  8. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Faz wrote:
    > It's paying for our free medical system...............
    >

    > "Watcher" <dev/null> wrote in message
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> When are you guys going to stage a revolution to stop your governments
    >>> from taking every cent you earn??
    >>>
    >>> Consumers face digital camera import duty price threat
    >>> Tuesday 17th July 2007
    >>>
    >>> Consumers and the photography trade are expected to widely condemn the
    >>> EU following its controversial decision on digital camera import duty
    >>> that could mean some models become more expensive
    >>>

    >> I don't know Canada has pretty high taxes, and the equipment is more
    >> expensive than in the USA, and that's even with our dollar running at 95¢
    >> on the USA dollar.

    Free? Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 18, 2007
  9. Rich

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Gladiator wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:08:51 GMT, "Faz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It's paying for our free medical system...............

    > Free? If taxes are paying for it then it is not free.

    Nothing is free. A possible exception is posting to a ng. Perhaps if we
    taxed that we would only see photo topics in a photo ng.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 18, 2007
  10. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Gladiator wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:08:51 GMT, "Faz" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's paying for our free medical system...............

    >> Free? If taxes are paying for it then it is not free.

    > Nothing is free. A possible exception is posting to a ng. Perhaps if we
    > taxed that we would only see photo topics in a photo ng.
    > Dave Cohen

    Nope, we all pay for these groups. I pay Giganews $7.95 a month for
    access. If your ISP offers newsgroup service, you pay for that too, and
    even the 'free' servers still require you to pay your ISP for access.
    And even 'free' wi-fi sites get money from someone.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 18, 2007
  11. Rich

    Charles Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:59:32 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Dave Cohen wrote:
    >> Gladiator wrote:

    >>> Free? If taxes are paying for it then it is not free.

    >> Nothing is free. A possible exception is posting to a ng. Perhaps if we
    >> taxed that we would only see photo topics in a photo ng.
    >> Dave Cohen

    >Nope, we all pay for these groups. I pay Giganews $7.95 a month for
    >access. If your ISP offers newsgroup service, you pay for that too, and
    >even the 'free' servers still require you to pay your ISP for access.
    >And even 'free' wi-fi sites get money from someone.

    My advice is free. And worth it!

    Charles, Jul 18, 2007
  12. Rich

    SMS Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Nope, we all pay for these groups. I pay Giganews $7.95 a month for
    > access. If your ISP offers newsgroup service, you pay for that too, and
    > even the 'free' servers still require you to pay your ISP for access.
    > And even 'free' wi-fi sites get money from someone.

    You might consider "http://news.individual.net/index.php" as long as you
    don't care about binaries. It's only €10 per year. If my ISP didn't
    offer Usenet access I'd probably use them.

    I guess you could consider Google Groups as free access, if you're using
    free WiFi. Of course if you consider the advertising as a form of
    payment, then it's not free.

    I.e., I could use MetroFi for free, and Google Groups for free, and
    there are no charges, and no government subsidies, but there is
    advertising. In fact, they pay the local government for the use of the
    poles for their equipment.

    SMS, Jul 18, 2007
  13. Rich

    SMS Guest

    Watcher wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >> When are you guys going to stage a revolution to stop your governments
    >> from taking every cent you earn??
    >>
    >> Consumers face digital camera import duty price threat
    >> Tuesday 17th July 2007
    >>
    >> Consumers and the photography trade are expected to widely condemn the
    >> EU following its controversial decision on digital camera import duty
    >> that could mean some models become more expensive
    >>

    > I don't know Canada has pretty high taxes, and the equipment is more
    > expensive than in the USA, and that's even with our dollar running at
    > 95¢ on the USA dollar.

    I've always found the equipment in Canada to be about the same, or
    cheaper, until you pay VAT. It was a lot cheaper when the Canadian
    dollar was weak.

    Personally, I think the solution in the U.S. to the sales tax problems
    the states are facing due to on-line sales not having sales tax
    collected is to adopt an Oregon model of taxation, which is also far
    less regressive. No sales tax at all, which is offset by higher income
    and property taxes. No one likes to pay taxes, but the VAT and sales
    taxes are especially bad and impact the retailers negatively.

    SMS, Jul 18, 2007
  14. Rich

    Gladiator Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:27:41 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >Nothing is free. A possible exception is posting to a ng. Perhaps if we
    >taxed that we would only see photo topics in a photo ng.
    >Dave Cohen

    Even that is not free for me as I pay for a 3rd party news service. My
    IPS's retention sucks so I don't use theirs.

    Gladiator, Jul 18, 2007
  15. Rich

    Gladiator Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:47:38 -0700, SMS <>
    wrote:

    >Personally, I think the solution in the U.S. to the sales tax problems
    >the states are facing due to on-line sales not having sales tax
    >collected is to adopt an Oregon model of taxation, which is also far
    >less regressive. No sales tax at all, which is offset by higher income
    >and property taxes. No one likes to pay taxes, but the VAT and sales
    >taxes are especially bad and impact the retailers negatively.

    Albeta, Canada has no Provincial sales tax, just federal. Which is 6%.

    Gladiator, Jul 18, 2007
  16. Rich wrote:
    > When are you guys going to stage a revolution to stop your governments
    > from taking every cent you earn??
    >
    > Consumers face digital camera import duty price threat
    > Tuesday 17th July 2007
    >
    > Consumers and the photography trade are expected to widely condemn the
    > EU following its controversial decision on digital camera import duty
    > that could mean some models become more expensive

    Yeah! To the barricades!

    We don't care about polluted water, nor about global warming, missile
    shields, the price of housing or the invasions of our privacy by the
    governments... That's "peccata minuta" compared to the increase in price
    of a basic good such as a digital camera!!

    Yes, comrades, let's start a revolution, throw away the old regime (that
    is only a puppet to the real governors, the analog camera lobby) and
    instaurate a dictature of the digital photoletariat!

    Arise ye shutters from ye slumber...

    Enric Martinez, Jul 18, 2007
  17. Gladiator wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:08:51 GMT, "Faz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It's paying for our free medical system...............

    > Free? If taxes are paying for it then it is not free.

    Ours is not free (Netherlands), it's private ;)

    But our taxes pays for the dams, so that we can keep our buttocks dry, LOL.

    Enric Martinez, Jul 18, 2007
  18. Rich

    timeOday Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Faz wrote:
    >
    >> It's paying for our free medical system...............
    >>

    >> "Watcher" <dev/null> wrote in message

    >>> I don't know Canada has pretty high taxes, and the equipment is more
    >>> expensive than in the USA, and that's even with our dollar running at
    >>> 95¢ on the USA dollar.
    >>>

    > Free? Grin.

    You are double counting.

    Europeans pay more taxes, but those pay for services. Therefore, you
    can *EITHER* complain about e.g. high gas prices and VAT but appreciate
    the free health care, *OR* you can scorn the idea that health care is
    'free,' but then acknowledge that Europeans really don't pay any more
    for products like gas and electronics - since the extra is tax that
    provides (non-free) services.

    Now if their tax money were literally going up in smoke, AND they were
    separately paying through the nose for health care, then they could
    complain. But that's us, not them.

    timeOday, Jul 19, 2007
  19. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Nope, we all pay for these groups. I pay Giganews $7.95 a month for
    >> access. If your ISP offers newsgroup service, you pay for that too,
    >> and even the 'free' servers still require you to pay your ISP for
    >> access. And even 'free' wi-fi sites get money from someone.

    > You might consider "http://news.individual.net/index.php" as long as you
    > don't care about binaries. It's only €10 per year. If my ISP didn't
    > offer Usenet access I'd probably use them.
    >
    > I guess you could consider Google Groups as free access, if you're using
    > free WiFi. Of course if you consider the advertising as a form of
    > payment, then it's not free.
    >
    > I.e., I could use MetroFi for free, and Google Groups for free, and
    > there are no charges, and no government subsidies, but there is
    > advertising. In fact, they pay the local government for the use of the
    > poles for their equipment.

    My ISP does provide newsgroup access, but it is speed limited, and the
    servers are slow, and often have authentication problems. I use
    Giganews for binary groups, primarily, and because they have a LOT of
    groups, and great throughput, and fantastic retention, and completeness.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 19, 2007
  20. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > Watcher wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> When are you guys going to stage a revolution to stop your governments
    >>> from taking every cent you earn??
    >>>
    >>> Consumers face digital camera import duty price threat
    >>> Tuesday 17th July 2007
    >>>
    >>> Consumers and the photography trade are expected to widely condemn the
    >>> EU following its controversial decision on digital camera import duty
    >>> that could mean some models become more expensive
    >>>

    >> I don't know Canada has pretty high taxes, and the equipment is more
    >> expensive than in the USA, and that's even with our dollar running at
    >> 95¢ on the USA dollar.

    > I've always found the equipment in Canada to be about the same, or
    > cheaper, until you pay VAT. It was a lot cheaper when the Canadian
    > dollar was weak.
    >
    > Personally, I think the solution in the U.S. to the sales tax problems
    > the states are facing due to on-line sales not having sales tax
    > collected is to adopt an Oregon model of taxation, which is also far
    > less regressive. No sales tax at all, which is offset by higher income
    > and property taxes. No one likes to pay taxes, but the VAT and sales
    > taxes are especially bad and impact the retailers negatively.

    Each has its problems. If you charge only income taxes, then you have
    those who visit the state, and use the facilities paying nothing. The
    obvious answer to the internet taxation is for the seller to apply
    whatever tax is collected in HIS LOCATION, but this is NOT what the
    states want. They seem to think that everyone who sells something on
    the internet can afford to write several thousand checks a year to
    thousands of taxing entities, and mail those checks. Even if they could
    hire the score of clerks it would take to keep the database of tax
    rates, and street addresses current, they would be run out of business
    by the charges on checks for $.10 to this and that city, country, and
    state. Ludicrous.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 19, 2007