Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by bigfatmama@375lbs.com, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?
     
    , Jan 23, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0600]:
    > Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?


    Yes.
     
    Justin, Jan 23, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Kevin Guest

    A simple test would lead me to say No, I paused a disk and after a short
    time the drive stops, but the paused picture continues playing. Also
    remember that the only moving part of the player which touches the disk is
    the disk clamp.

    Kevin


    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?
     
    Kevin, Jan 23, 2005
    #3
  4. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?


    Possibly. I know a lady that claimed she accidentally left a DVD on pause
    for about 3 hours, and the laser had made a very nasty mark on that
    particular part of the disc, making it unplayable. I have no idea to know
    if this is true or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if some players did it. I
    think mine automatically shuts off if it's paused for a certain amount of
    time.
     
    Patrick Michael, Jan 23, 2005
    #4
  5. Alpha Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:DyUId.1338$7J.967@okepread04...
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?

    >
    > Possibly. I know a lady that claimed she accidentally left a DVD on pause
    > for about 3 hours, and the laser had made a very nasty mark on that
    > particular part of the disc, making it unplayable. I have no idea to know
    > if this is true or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if some players did it.
    > I think mine automatically shuts off if it's paused for a certain amount
    > of time.
    >


    It is not true re the laser making a mark. The image goes into the RAM
    buffer; it is not read by the laser again and again. All of my players
    shut down the moter after a period of time...that is where wear comes in.
     
    Alpha, Jan 23, 2005
    #5
  6. Dick Sidbury Guest

    Patrick Michael wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?

    >
    >
    > Possibly. I know a lady that claimed she accidentally left a DVD on pause
    > for about 3 hours, and the laser had made a very nasty mark on that
    > particular part of the disc, making it unplayable. I have no idea to know
    > if this is true or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if some players did it. I
    > think mine automatically shuts off if it's paused for a certain amount of
    > time.
    >
    >

    Possibly, BUT, I've left mine on pause overnight and it did not appear
    that there was any damage to either the player or the disk.

    dick
     
    Dick Sidbury, Jan 23, 2005
    #6
  7. Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?


    The disks do not wear out, and it depends on your player. On my player I
    use stop, it just marks the position, so by hitting play it automatically
    resumes whre it left off, and I believe after 15 minutes of non-use shuts
    itself off
     
    Biz, Jan 24, 2005
    #7
  8. Arch Stanton Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0600, bigfatmama wrote:

    > Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?


    Possibly. The old laser disks were definitely prone to being killed by
    long frame stops. Search on 'Laser Rot' on Google.

    I have no info about DVDs, but a stamped (commercial) disk should be
    almost immune since the actual reflective info is stamped into the platter.

    Burned DVDs are another thing. Since they were burned originally by
    having a light sensitive dye hit by a fairly intense laser, I assume that
    being read by a low power beam will cause accumulative damage. Over how
    long? I have no clue.

    AS
     
    Arch Stanton, Jan 24, 2005
    #8
  9. In article <>,
    Arch Stanton <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0600, bigfatmama wrote:
    >
    >> Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?


    >Possibly. The old laser disks were definitely prone to being killed by
    >long frame stops. Search on 'Laser Rot' on Google.


    Laser Rot was caused by bonding problems - not pausing a disk

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
     
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 24, 2005
    #9
  10. DVDfanatico Guest

    Unlike cassettes and records, no mechanical device actually touches the DVD
    when it spins. It's just a laser beam (which may technically have small
    particles) that reflects off the DVD's shiny surface and reads data. So you
    could play a DVD for hundreds of years if stored properly and it will not
    decay. One thing I do wonder, would keeping it on pause for a long time cause
    the disc to overheat? And would the putting the disc on pause for long times
    cause the player to wear out sooner?

    DVDfanatico
    www.KnightLanguages.com
    The Foreign Language Supersite

    > (Bill Vermillion)
    >Date: 23/01/2005 09:05 p.m. Pacific Standard Time
    >Message-id: <>
    >
    >In article <>,
    >Arch Stanton <> wrote:
    >>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0600, bigfatmama wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?

    >
    >>Possibly. The old laser disks were definitely prone to being killed by
    >>long frame stops. Search on 'Laser Rot' on Google.

    >
    >Laser Rot was caused by bonding problems - not pausing a disk
    >
    >--
    >Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
     
    DVDfanatico, Jan 24, 2005
    #10
  11. Alpha Guest

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Unlike cassettes and records, no mechanical device actually touches the
    > DVD
    > when it spins. It's just a laser beam (which may technically have small
    > particles) that reflects off the DVD's shiny surface and reads data. So
    > you
    > could play a DVD for hundreds of years if stored properly and it will not
    > decay. One thing I do wonder, would keeping it on pause for a long time
    > cause
    > the disc to overheat? And would the putting the disc on pause for long
    > times
    > cause the player to wear out sooner?



    As I said earlier, unlike analog Laser CAV, DVDs do NOT (repeat a million
    times NOT) continually re-read under pause.

    Overheat? Every player I have shuts down with the buffer image on screen.
    So the answer is NO NO NO.
     
    Alpha, Jan 24, 2005
    #11
  12. Guest Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?


    No. The disc does not stop spinning when you push PAUSE. The frame buffer
    is simply frozen in place. After a while the drive will stop spinning and
    the laser will turn off. You can come back next year, and if there was no
    power failure, resume playing the DVD at the point where you left off.
     
    Guest, Jan 24, 2005
    #12
  13. Mike Kohary Guest

    Arch Stanton wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0600, bigfatmama wrote:
    >
    >> Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?

    >
    > Possibly. The old laser disks were definitely prone to being killed
    > by long frame stops. Search on 'Laser Rot' on Google.
    >
    > I have no info about DVDs, but a stamped (commercial) disk should be
    > almost immune since the actual reflective info is stamped into the
    > platter.
    >
    > Burned DVDs are another thing. Since they were burned originally by
    > having a light sensitive dye hit by a fairly intense laser, I assume
    > that being read by a low power beam will cause accumulative damage.
    > Over how long? I have no clue.


    It's simply unbelievable how much misinformation made it into this thread.
    Most of what you said is nonsense, especially the part about "Laser Rot"
    (which was entirely unrelated to the laser actually hitting the disc). Your
    last paragraph is just baseless speculation (and is again completely wrong).

    The short answer to the OP's question is "no, DVDs do not wear out if left
    on pause too long". I think maybe 25% of the responders in this thread
    actually said that. ;) Not a big deal, but in many other newsgroups with
    knowledgable posters, only people who know the answer respond, while people
    who don't know the answer read. People pick and choose what they respond
    to, depending on what they know about the subject. Why respond to something
    you don't really know the answer to? It was pretty obvious that the
    majority of responders in this thread didn't know what they were talking
    about.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

    Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Mike Kohary, Jan 25, 2005
    #13
  14. Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:53:58 -0800]:
    > Arch Stanton wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:41:25 -0600, bigfatmama wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?

    >>
    >> Possibly. The old laser disks were definitely prone to being killed
    >> by long frame stops. Search on 'Laser Rot' on Google.
    >>
    >> I have no info about DVDs, but a stamped (commercial) disk should be
    >> almost immune since the actual reflective info is stamped into the
    >> platter.
    >>
    >> Burned DVDs are another thing. Since they were burned originally by
    >> having a light sensitive dye hit by a fairly intense laser, I assume
    >> that being read by a low power beam will cause accumulative damage.
    >> Over how long? I have no clue.

    >
    > It's simply unbelievable how much misinformation made it into this thread.
    > Most of what you said is nonsense, especially the part about "Laser Rot"
    > (which was entirely unrelated to the laser actually hitting the disc). Your
    > last paragraph is just baseless speculation (and is again completely wrong).
    >
    > The short answer to the OP's question is "no, DVDs do not wear out if left
    > on pause too long". I think maybe 25% of the responders in this thread
    > actually said that. ;) Not a big deal, but in many other newsgroups with
    > knowledgable posters, only people who know the answer respond, while people
    > who don't know the answer read. People pick and choose what they respond
    > to, depending on what they know about the subject. Why respond to something
    > you don't really know the answer to? It was pretty obvious that the
    > majority of responders in this thread didn't know what they were talking
    > about.


    If a DVD is left on pause too long it will degrade. Oh... the OP meant
    under 100 years?
     
    Justin, Jan 25, 2005
    #14
  15. "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    news:ct4c8j$47u$...
    >
    > It's simply unbelievable how much misinformation made it into this thread.
    > Most of what you said is nonsense, especially the part about "Laser Rot"
    > (which was entirely unrelated to the laser actually hitting the disc).
    > Your last paragraph is just baseless speculation (and is again completely
    > wrong).
    >
    > The short answer to the OP's question is "no, DVDs do not wear out if left
    > on pause too long". I think maybe 25% of the responders in this thread
    > actually said that. ;) Not a big deal, but in many other newsgroups with
    > knowledgable posters, only people who know the answer respond, while
    > people who don't know the answer read. People pick and choose what they
    > respond to, depending on what they know about the subject. Why respond to
    > something you don't really know the answer to? It was pretty obvious that
    > the majority of responders in this thread didn't know what they were
    > talking about.


    If you were including me in your "25% of the responders...", then realize
    that I clearly admitted that I did not know for sure and that my
    "friend-of-a-friend" story should be taken with a grain of salt. There's
    nothing wrong with speculation, so long as a poster admits that he doesn't
    know for sure. That's what usenet was created for - discussion. There's no
    need to insult everyone's intelligence.

    I miss the days of usenet when people's mistakes or misconceptions were
    simply pointed out by others. Now, we usually have people that seem to do
    nothing but wait for someone to make a minor mistake and then pounce on
    them, usually launching into some diatribe about how they are more informed
    than everyone else as if they were God's gift to usenet.
     
    Patrick Michael, Jan 25, 2005
    #15
  16. Mike Kohary Guest

    Patrick Michael wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > news:ct4c8j$47u$...
    >>
    >> It's simply unbelievable how much misinformation made it into this
    >> thread. Most of what you said is nonsense, especially the part about
    >> "Laser Rot" (which was entirely unrelated to the laser actually
    >> hitting the disc). Your last paragraph is just baseless speculation
    >> (and is again completely wrong).
    >>
    >> The short answer to the OP's question is "no, DVDs do not wear out
    >> if left on pause too long". I think maybe 25% of the responders in
    >> this thread actually said that. ;) Not a big deal, but in many
    >> other newsgroups with knowledgable posters, only people who know the
    >> answer respond, while people who don't know the answer read. People
    >> pick and choose what they respond to, depending on what they know
    >> about the subject. Why respond to something you don't really know
    >> the answer to? It was pretty obvious that the majority of
    >> responders in this thread didn't know what they were talking about.

    >
    > If you were including me in your "25% of the responders...", then
    > realize that I clearly admitted that I did not know for sure and
    > that my "friend-of-a-friend" story should be taken with a grain of
    > salt. There's nothing wrong with speculation, so long as a poster
    > admits that he doesn't know for sure. That's what usenet was created
    > for - discussion. There's no need to insult everyone's intelligence.
    >
    > I miss the days of usenet when people's mistakes or misconceptions
    > were simply pointed out by others. Now, we usually have people that
    > seem to do nothing but wait for someone to make a minor mistake and
    > then pounce on them, usually launching into some diatribe about how
    > they are more informed than everyone else as if they were God's gift
    > to usenet.


    I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend or nitpick anyone. Lord knows there's
    enough nitpicking around here, and I too get sick of it - that's why I
    jumped on a guy last week for being overly pendantic, making myself a
    nitpicker about nitpicking. ;) Seems there's no way to win. And I don't
    think I'm more informed about everything than anyone else. I sit out lots
    of threads, and learn from a lot of posters about things I know nothing
    about.

    But honestly, if a poster asks a question, and you don't know the answer
    yourself, I think it's best if you *don't* respond, and wait for a more
    knowledgable poster to respond so that we all can learn. Even so, you're
    right that this place is for discussion, and I probably wouldn't have said
    anything at all except that some of the answers were *so* off-base and just
    complete fantasy, I could hardly stand it. I finally chose to respond to
    this one post (Art Stanton's) because everything he said was just completely
    ludicrous. I don't want to beat the guy down, but please - spreading such
    misinformation is kind of rude in its own right, don't you think so?

    When the original poster logs back in and reads the responses, what is he
    supposed to make of the mish-mash of answers he got back, many of them 100%
    contradictory and just flat-out wrong? About a quarter of the posters
    actually had the right answer, but how is the original poster supposed to
    know that? Because of all the people that responded whether they knew the
    answer or not, the thread has become totally useless for him. Now, he
    doesn't even know whether or not to listen to me or the others who gave the
    same answer I did - what's to make us any more knowledable than all the
    other people who posted? He may as well have gotten no answer at all.

    I just think the signal/noise ratio in here is pretty awful, and this thread
    stood out because the answer was so simple. So, no offense intended, I did
    try to be polite about it, and I hope I've been able to clarify why I
    responded the way I did.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

    Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Mike Kohary, Jan 25, 2005
    #16
  17. Baked Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:56:26 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >
    >If a DVD is left on pause too long it will degrade. Oh... the OP meant
    >under 100 years?


    Total bullshit.
     
    Baked, Jan 26, 2005
    #17
  18. Nonymous Guest

    "Baked" <> wrote in message
    news:njBJd.523$...
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:56:26 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>If a DVD is left on pause too long it will degrade. Oh... the OP meant
    >>under 100 years?

    >
    > Total bullshit.


    Woosh! It went right over your head.
     
    Nonymous, Jan 26, 2005
    #18
  19. On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:28:45 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >"Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    >news:DyUId.1338$7J.967@okepread04...


    >> <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?


    >> Possibly. I know a lady that claimed she accidentally left a DVD on pause
    >> for about 3 hours, and the laser had made a very nasty mark on that
    >> particular part of the disc, making it unplayable. I have no idea to know
    >> if this is true or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if some players did it.
    >> I think mine automatically shuts off if it's paused for a certain amount
    >> of time.


    >It is not true re the laser making a mark. The image goes into the RAM
    >buffer; it is not read by the laser again and again. All of my players
    >shut down the moter after a period of time...that is where wear comes in.


    With very cheap DVD players or very old ones, it's possible that they
    don't have a RAM buffer. They also mightn't turn off the motor and/or
    laser after a certain amount of time. I would be surprised if the
    laser could damage a pressed movie DVD. But I wouldn't be surprised
    if a DVDR or DVDRW could be damage by the laser. I think it very much
    depends on what type of DVD player and what type of disk is being
    used.


    Sig:
    Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire,
    philosopher (1694-1778)
     
    Rotes Sapiens, Jan 30, 2005
    #19
  20. Mike Kohary Guest

    Rotes Sapiens wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:28:45 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> news:DyUId.1338$7J.967@okepread04...

    >
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> Do DVDs wear out if left on PAUSE too long?

    >
    >>> Possibly. I know a lady that claimed she accidentally left a DVD
    >>> on pause for about 3 hours, and the laser had made a very nasty
    >>> mark on that particular part of the disc, making it unplayable. I
    >>> have no idea to know if this is true or not, but I wouldn't be
    >>> shocked if some players did it. I think mine automatically shuts
    >>> off if it's paused for a certain amount of time.

    >
    >> It is not true re the laser making a mark. The image goes into the
    >> RAM buffer; it is not read by the laser again and again. All of my
    >> players shut down the moter after a period of time...that is where
    >> wear comes in.

    >
    > With very cheap DVD players or very old ones, it's possible that they
    > don't have a RAM buffer. They also mightn't turn off the motor and/or
    > laser after a certain amount of time. I would be surprised if the
    > laser could damage a pressed movie DVD. But I wouldn't be surprised
    > if a DVDR or DVDRW could be damage by the laser. I think it very much
    > depends on what type of DVD player and what type of disk is being
    > used.


    Oh honestly, this thread has become the worst source of misinformation and
    pure guessing I've ever seen. None of this is true! The DVD is always
    spinning when the laser is on it. Think of how a DVD works for a moment -
    are the images stored on the disc as individual frames that the laser reads?
    Of course not - it's a bunch of 1s and 0s that combine to form images, and
    no single spot on the disc contains enough information to form a single
    image. When you pause your player, it's not like tape where the entire
    mechanism pauses at one particular spot on the medium and displays what is
    there. The disc is still spinning, and the laser is such low voltage anyway
    that I'd be amazed if it could damage a spec of dust, much less a DVD (which
    by its nature doesn't suffer from wear and tear while being played).

    NO, pause does NOT wear out a DVD, ever! Period! Now shut up and leave
    this stupid thread alone to die! ;)

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

    Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Mike Kohary, Feb 1, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bun Mui
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,447
  2. Mark C

    how long is too long?

    Mark C, Jul 23, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    740
  3. Nemole_Amzi

    Long pause before system starts normally...

    Nemole_Amzi, May 3, 2008, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    510
    Nemole_Amzi
    May 3, 2008
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    Long Pause After POST???

    Dave Hardenbrook, Mar 27, 2008, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,665
    Sean Cleary
    May 15, 2008
  5. Don Phillipson

    Do wireless routers wear out?

    Don Phillipson, Mar 1, 2010, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    8,013
Loading...

Share This Page