    for example, would be burned with a R2 code and still need a region free player
    to be watched in the US.

    Thanks...

    SoHillsGuy, Sep 28, 2003

  2. SoHillsGuy

    Skid Guest

    "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Simeple question: do homemade DVD-Rs have region codes?
    >
    > I've gone to some DVD-R FAQ sites, but couldn't find an answer to this
    > question.
    >
    > Basically, I'm trying to determine if a DVD-R recorded by someone in the

    UK,
    > for example, would be burned with a R2 code and still need a region free

    player
    > to be watched in the US.

    Depends on the ripping software. Many of them eliminate the region code so
    they'll play on any machine anywhere. Others just dupe the disc with the
    region code intact.

    Skid, Sep 28, 2003

  3. SoHillsGuy

    Erik Harris Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:25:50 GMT, "Skid" <> wrote:

    >"SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in message
    >> Simeple question: do homemade DVD-Rs have region codes?
    >>
    >> I've gone to some DVD-R FAQ sites, but couldn't find an answer to this
    >> question.
    >>
    >> Basically, I'm trying to determine if a DVD-R recorded by someone in the

    >UK,
    >> for example, would be burned with a R2 code and still need a region free

    >player
    >> to be watched in the US.
    >>

    >Depends on the ripping software. Many of them eliminate the region code so
    >they'll play on any machine anywhere. Others just dupe the disc with the
    >region code intact.

    He's about DVDs that someone created, not DVDs that someone pirated.

    No, DVD-Rs generally don't have regional encoding. I'm not aware of any
    consumer level software that will even allow regional encoding on home made
    DVDs. If I understand correctly, the regional encoding is not a function of
    the medium (pressed vs DVD-R/RW vs DVD+R/RW), it's a function of how it's
    created.

    --
    Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
    AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

    The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
    Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.

    Erik Harris, Sep 28, 2003
  4. SoHillsGuy

    John Howells Guest

    "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote

    > Basically, I'm trying to determine if a DVD-R recorded by someone in the

    UK,
    > for example, would be burned with a R2 code

    No. If you record on a stand-alone DVD recorder or on a PC from your own
    source it will be coded for regions 1 to 8 inclusive.

    > .. and still need a region free player
    > to be watched in the US.

    No. But .. if recorded in the UK in PAL mode it will not play on most US
    systems, where either the DVD player or the TV will not handle the 625 line
    (PAL) picture.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Sep 28, 2003
  5. SoHillsGuy

    Biz Guest

    It will most likely not be region coded if its home video stuff....if he's
    copying commercial stuff it may or may not be region coded. The bigger
    issue is it will most definitely be PAL and not NTSC. If you can't deal
    with PAL, the region is irrelevant.

    Biz, Sep 28, 2003
  6. SoHillsGuy

    Max Volume Guest

    In article
    <DvHdb.162412$>, Biz
    <> wrote:

    > It will most likely not be region coded if its home video stuff....if he's
    > copying commercial stuff it may or may not be region coded. The bigger
    > issue is it will most definitely be PAL and not NTSC. If you can't deal
    > with PAL, the region is irrelevant.

    So much for his "simple question". I'm also wondering about this, and
    no-one has really been able to answer the question. Further confusing
    matters is that when my iMac Superdrive was set to Region 2 and I
    inserted a DVD-R I had burned with DVD Studio Pro as Region 1, a
    warning appeared that the region code of the disc did not match the
    region code of the drive. I was asked whether to change the drive's
    region code to that of the disc, but while there would only be one
    option with a "pressed" disc, the two options given were Region 1 and
    Region 7. At any rate, the drive somehow detected that this was not a
    Region 2 disc. In fact, I may have left region 7 checked by accident,
    thus creating a 1/7 dual-region disc.

    So what's the answer???

    Max Volume, Sep 29, 2003
  7. SoHillsGuy

    buck Guest

    In article <280920031944004712%>,
    says...
    > In article
    > <DvHdb.162412$>, Biz
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > It will most likely not be region coded if its home video stuff....if he's
    > > copying commercial stuff it may or may not be region coded. The bigger
    > > issue is it will most definitely be PAL and not NTSC. If you can't deal
    > > with PAL, the region is irrelevant.

    > So much for his "simple question". I'm also wondering about this, and
    > no-one has really been able to answer the question. Further confusing
    > matters is that when my iMac Superdrive was set to Region 2 and I
    > inserted a DVD-R I had burned with DVD Studio Pro as Region 1, a
    > warning appeared that the region code of the disc did not match the
    > region code of the drive. I was asked whether to change the drive's
    > region code to that of the disc, but while there would only be one
    > option with a "pressed" disc, the two options given were Region 1 and
    > Region 7. At any rate, the drive somehow detected that this was not a
    > Region 2 disc. In fact, I may have left region 7 checked by accident,
    > thus creating a 1/7 dual-region disc.
    >
    > So what's the answer???

    The answer is still the same... Home video doesn't have or need a region
    code, region codes are added to movie disks by the studios that own the
    movie rights.

    If the disks are home video region codes are NOT an issue, and they ned
    not be part of the disk, if they are studio released movies, then the
    issue becomes more complex.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    buck, Sep 29, 2003
  8. SoHillsGuy

    Spam Buster Guest

    "Erik Harris" <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:25:50 GMT, "Skid" <> wrote:

    [...]
    | No, DVD-Rs generally don't have regional encoding. I'm not aware of any
    | consumer level software that will even allow regional encoding on home
    made
    | DVDs. If I understand correctly, the regional encoding is not a function
    of
    | the medium (pressed vs DVD-R/RW vs DVD+R/RW), it's a function of how it's
    | created.

    Correct. Adobe's Encore DVD is the only one I know of that allows for
    region-coding (and Macrovision). And I'm not sure you can still call that
    "consumer-level".

    SB

    Spam Buster, Sep 29, 2003
  9. SoHillsGuy

    Spam Buster Guest

    "John Howells" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    | No. But .. if recorded in the UK in PAL mode it will not play on most US
    | systems, where either the DVD player or the TV will not handle the 625
    line
    | (PAL) picture.

    Actually (to my own surprise) non-region-coded PAL DVDs play remarkably well
    on generic US/NTSC DVD players.

    SB

    Spam Buster, Sep 29, 2003
  10. SoHillsGuy

    Erik Harris Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:57:20 GMT, "Spam Buster" <>
    wrote:

    >"John Howells" <> wrote in message
    >|
    >[...]
    >|
    >| No. But .. if recorded in the UK in PAL mode it will not play on most US
    >| systems, where either the DVD player or the TV will not handle the 625
    >line
    >| (PAL) picture.

    >Actually (to my own surprise) non-region-coded PAL DVDs play remarkably well
    >on generic US/NTSC DVD players.

    I don't believe I have any PAL DVD's (I've got a bunch of R0 HK DVD's, but
    I'm pretty sure they're all at NTSC or NTSC Film framerates), but I have
    played a PAL VCD in multiple DVD players. I've been under the impression
    that PAL DVDs generally play in US DVD players as well.

    Erik Harris, Sep 29, 2003
  11. SoHillsGuy

    luminos Guest

    In fact region codes cannot be added to DVD-R. High-end mastering programs
    provide the region code information that pressing plants press (ususally
    from tape input).

    luminos, Sep 29, 2003
  12. in article 4jMdb.139038$, Spam Buster at
    wrote on 9/28/03 6:56 PM:

    > "Erik Harris" <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote in message
    > | On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:25:50 GMT, "Skid" <> wrote:
    > |
    > [...]
    > |
    > | No, DVD-Rs generally don't have regional encoding. I'm not aware of any
    > | consumer level software that will even allow regional encoding on home
    > made
    > | DVDs. If I understand correctly, the regional encoding is not a function
    > of
    > | the medium (pressed vs DVD-R/RW vs DVD+R/RW), it's a function of how it's
    > | created.
    > |

    > Correct. Adobe's Encore DVD is the only one I know of that allows for
    > region-coding (and Macrovision). And I'm not sure you can still call that
    > "consumer-level".
    >
    > SB

    DVD Studio Pro allows for authoring region coding and Macrovision as well,
    but neither will allow you to actually burn a DVD±R/RW that way. As with
    creating dual layer titles, you'd need to output to CMF, DLT or whatever the
    replicator is able to accept.

    In other words, even with Encore, DVD Studio Pro, or whatever tool, don't
    expect to find an authored DVD±R/RW with region codes, Macrovision, or (of
    course) dual layers.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Sep 29, 2003
  13. in article 280920031944004712%, Max Volume at
    wrote on 9/28/03 4:42 PM:

    > In article
    > <DvHdb.162412$>, Biz
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> It will most likely not be region coded if its home video stuff....if he's
    >> copying commercial stuff it may or may not be region coded. The bigger
    >> issue is it will most definitely be PAL and not NTSC. If you can't deal
    >> with PAL, the region is irrelevant.

    > So much for his "simple question". I'm also wondering about this, and no-one
    > has really been able to answer the question. Further confusing matters is
    > that when my iMac Superdrive was set to Region 2 and I inserted a DVD-R I had
    > burned with DVD Studio Pro as Region 1, a warning appeared that the region
    > code of the disc did not match the region code of the drive.
    >
    > I was asked whether to change the drive's region code to that of the disc, but
    > while there would only be one option with a "pressed" disc, the two options
    > given were Region 1 and Region 7. At any rate, the drive somehow detected that
    > this was not a Region 2 disc. In fact, I may have left region 7 checked by
    > accident, thus creating a 1/7 dual-region disc.
    >
    > So what's the answer???

    Weirdness.

    You can't actually burn a DVD-R with a region code. DVD Studio Pro allows
    you to set the region code, but this would be for outputting to CMF/DLT for
    a replicator to press discs.

    The only thing I could say that would explain your situation is if you
    didn't open the DVD you burned with the DVD Player, but instead with the DVD
    Studio Pro simulated player. The simulated player will recognize region
    coding as well as other things you can't burn to DVD-R...even dual layers.

    It's not true as you say that there can only be one option for a region with
    a pressed disc. Discs can have any combination of regions.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Sep 29, 2003
  14. SoHillsGuy

    Biz Guest

    That would only be true if your generic US/NTSC DVD players did PAL to NTSC
    conversion. Otherwise a regular US TV will not playback PAL dvds....

    Biz, Sep 29, 2003
  15. The answer is no they do not. I purchased a DVD of "The Producers" which is
    not yet available in UK so it was region 1. I ripped it and copied it and it
    came out as a multi region disc. BUT I can't tell you if PAL will play on
    NTSC tv's - we all have multi standard over here.

    DUNCAN MARK MILTON-HEAD, Sep 29, 2003
  16. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:11:52 +0000 (UTC), "DUNCAN MARK MILTON-HEAD"
    <> wrote:

    >The answer is no they do not. I purchased a DVD of "The Producers" which is
    >not yet available in UK so it was region 1. I ripped it and copied it and it
    >came out as a multi region disc. BUT I can't tell you if PAL will play on
    >NTSC tv's - we all have multi standard over here.

    Interestingly budget DVD players often will play PAL dvd's with an
    NTSC output. Both my Apex ad600 and Raite machines will output PAL as
    NTSC and NTSC discs as PAL, as well as in the disc's native format.
    The APEX also has the region and Macrovison cracks, though the Raite
    diesn't.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 29, 2003
  17. SoHillsGuy

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <bl8pg8$k1o$>, DUNCAN MARK
    MILTON-HEAD <> wrote:

    > The answer is no they do not. I purchased a DVD of "The Producers" which is
    > not yet available in UK so it was region 1. I ripped it and copied it and it
    > came out as a multi region disc. BUT I can't tell you if PAL will play on
    > NTSC tv's - we all have multi standard over here.

    For ****'s sake people, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT RIPPING DVDs!!!! I am
    talking about setting the region code in DVD Studio Pro! If there was
    nothing recorded to the DVD-R to indicate region, why did the DVD
    Player say the region codes didn't match???

    How simple do I have to make it?

    Max Volume, Sep 30, 2003
  18. SoHillsGuy

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <BB9D1F69.20D28%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    > You can't actually burn a DVD-R with a region code. DVD Studio Pro allows
    > you to set the region code, but this would be for outputting to CMF/DLT for
    > a replicator to press discs.

    No shit, but why did I need to change the region code on my drive if
    there was no region code on the disc?

    > The only thing I could say that would explain your situation is if you
    > didn't open the DVD you burned with the DVD Player, but instead with the DVD
    > Studio Pro simulated player. The simulated player will recognize region
    > coding as well as other things you can't burn to DVD-R...even dual layers.

    Yes, but WHAT was on the disc that told the DVD Player it wasn't
    playable on a Region 2 drive???

    > It's not true as you say that there can only be one option for a region with
    > a pressed disc. Discs can have any combination of regions.

    I didn't say they couldn't. In fact, I specifically said I may have
    left "Region 7" checked so as to create a dual-region disc. The
    reference to only one option on a pressed DVD is that when I'd insert a
    pressed disc, the warning asked if I wanted to change to region 1,
    whereas the warning with my DVD-R gave me a choice between region 1 or
    region 7 (not *between* 1 and 7, just one OR seven).

    Still waiting for an answer....

    Max Volume, Sep 30, 2003
  19. in article 290920031903065907%, Max Volume at
    wrote on 9/29/03 4:01 PM:

    > In article <bl8pg8$k1o$>, DUNCAN MARK
    > MILTON-HEAD <> wrote:
    >
    >> The answer is no they do not. I purchased a DVD of "The Producers" which is
    >> not yet available in UK so it was region 1. I ripped it and copied it and it
    >> came out as a multi region disc. BUT I can't tell you if PAL will play on
    >> NTSC tv's - we all have multi standard over here.

    > For ****'s sake people, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT RIPPING DVDs!!!! I am
    > talking about setting the region code in DVD Studio Pro! If there was
    > nothing recorded to the DVD-R to indicate region, why did the DVD
    > Player say the region codes didn't match???
    >
    > How simple do I have to make it?

    Max, have you considered that perhaps you're not the only person in the
    world, and that the above reply has nothing to do with you or your post?

    MR_ED_of_Course, Sep 30, 2003
  20. SoHillsGuy

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <BB9E0DDC.20DF7%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    > Max, have you considered that perhaps you're not the only person in the
    > world, and that the above reply has nothing to do with you or your post?

    Then why was the post replying to my specific post???

    Max Volume, Sep 30, 2003