    same problem.
    My brain hurts!

    cheers, Davy

    Davy, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Davy

    Alan Browne Guest

    Davy wrote:
    > I understand that raw readers/converters are improving all the time and it
    > is not recommended to use an older converter. Since DNG readers/converters
    > do a similar job is it also true of them?
    >
    > I ask because I want to upgrade my Photoshop Elements 2 to 3 (the latest
    > version that will run on my Windows 2000 PC) but am concerned that the DNG
    > reader in PS Elements 3 may be out of date.
    >
    > Or am I getting confused? - the conversion from raw to DNG must be constant
    > since DNG is a standardised format. So is it the Photoshop image editing
    > that is important? In which case an old Photoshop would still present the
    > same problem.

    If I read the Adobe site properly for the last Camera Raw (4.2),
    Elements 3.0 is not supported, so the most recent cameras (14 it says)
    are not in there.

    However, the free DNG converter from Adobe is always pretty much up to
    date with the latest cameras. I don't know if it runs on W.2000. The
    DNG output from there will work in PSE 3.

    For example, the DNG at
    http://finalpass.net/images/misc/A700 test/A700 Macro Test/A700_Macro-ISO 200-DSC00030.dng
    ( 8.3 MB )

    is from the very recently released Sony A700 (converted in DNG converter
    from the Sony/Minolta RAW file), and it opens in Elements 3.0 (under Win
    XP).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.