    I would be interested to hear comments from members.

    Denis Boisclair

    , Aug 20, 2005

  2. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > Currys, a national chain of photographic and electrical retailers here
    > in the UK, announced the other day that they are to stop stocking film
    > camera and films. They say that the sale of digital cameras is 15 times
    > that of film cameras:
    >
    > Currys also stated that a survey showed that 93% of those questioned
    > could not tell a digital from a film photo; this is a very interesting
    > statistic - could the 7% REALLY tell the difference or did they make a
    > lucky guess - I would have expected lucky guesses to be a far higher
    > ratio.
    >
    > I would be interested to hear comments from members.
    >
    > Denis Boisclair

    Currys are part of the Dixons group, and it was they who made the
    announcement of ceasing to support films cameras. They also said this
    some time ago about VHS... and if you look on their web page you'll
    see they've hardly stopped selling those

    http://tinyurl.com/9d7nm

    As for film and digi differences. It would depend on the quality of
    each picture and size etc. Some of my less successful shots are easily
    spottable as digital to me

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Pete D Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Currys, a national chain of photographic and electrical retailers here
    > in the UK, announced the other day that they are to stop stocking film
    > camera and films. They say that the sale of digital cameras is 15 times
    > that of film cameras:

    I doubt these figures, I would have expected them to be more like 100 to 1
    or even higher perhaps even 1000 to 1.

    Pete D, Aug 20, 2005
  4. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Currys, a national chain of photographic and electrical retailers here
    > in the UK, announced the other day that they are to stop stocking film
    > camera and films. They say that the sale of digital cameras is 15 times
    > that of film cameras:
    >
    > Currys also stated that a survey showed that 93% of those questioned
    > could not tell a digital from a film photo; this is a very interesting
    > statistic - could the 7% REALLY tell the difference or did they make a
    > lucky guess - I would have expected lucky guesses to be a far higher
    > ratio.
    >
    > I would be interested to hear comments from members.

    They were most likely asked regarding 4x6 inch prints. The general public
    doesn't even seem to know what a good image looks like, much less understand
    what to look for to differentiate digital/film.
    At that small print size, the two more closely resemble each other...

    Mark², Aug 20, 2005
  5. "Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    : <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : >
    : > Currys also stated that a survey showed that 93% of those questioned
    : > could not tell a digital from a film photo; this is a very
    : > interesting statistic - could the 7% REALLY tell the difference or
    : > did they make a lucky guess - I would have expected lucky guesses to
    : > be a far higher ratio.

    : They were most likely asked regarding 4x6 inch prints. The general
    : public doesn't even seem to know what a good image looks like, much
    : less understand what to look for to differentiate digital/film.
    : At that small print size, the two more closely resemble each other...

    At that size either image capture form is printing at much below maximum
    resolution, so they should be roughly equivalent. And if the prints can
    not be closely examined to allow the eye to pick out the orderly rows of
    digital prints, vs. the more random grains of optically printed film, a
    true test would tend to be rather equal quality.

    But we all know that it is very easy to process either or both images to
    present one "superior" image that would for all intents and purposes
    appear to be a "fair test". Since the two processing procedures and
    printing mechanisms are so different it is very hard to be sure that any
    side by side comparison is absolutely equivalent with the one exception of
    the capture device. And that would be the only way to make a fair test.
    Without that equivalency the difference could be either the capture device
    OR the processing process/device.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Aug 20, 2005

  6. > Currys also stated that a survey showed that 93% of those questioned
    > could not tell a digital from a film photo; this is a very interesting
    > statistic - could the 7% REALLY tell the difference or did they make a
    > lucky guess - I would have expected lucky guesses to be a far higher
    > ratio.

    93% of the general population does not know what to look for; and, what can
    one tell from a 4 x 6 print? A meaningless statistic, in my opinion.

    Charles Schuler, Aug 20, 2005
  7. --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    Ï "Pete D" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Currys, a national chain of photographic and electrical retailers here
    > > in the UK, announced the other day that they are to stop stocking film
    > > camera and films. They say that the sale of digital cameras is 15 times
    > > that of film cameras:

    > I doubt these figures, I would have expected them to be more like 100 to 1
    > or even higher perhaps even 1000 to 1.

    Many people who don't have a computer or can't understand digital camera
    technology and usage still use film cameras, also many professionals don't
    make the jump to a dSLR.

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Aug 20, 2005
  8. Don Stauffer Guest

    Actually, the mtf of a mosaic sampling focal plane, like a CCD or CMOS
    imager, does have a different shape to it than most older film based stuff.

    For the same cutoff frequency (limiting resolution) the curve is fuller
    at spatial frequencies approaching cutoff. That is, it appears a bit
    sharper with detail approaching cutoff frequency. That does tend to
    make a different look.

    Now, with higher res cameras, such as 6-8 Mpixel stuff, the mtf of the
    focal plane is of relatively less importance. Lens mtf, mtf due to
    vibration, etc. does affect total system mtf more.

    The effect was more noticable in older stuff with fewer pixels. It
    would surprise people with image quality compared to film or scanning TV
    of same limiting resolution.

    Don Stauffer, Aug 20, 2005
  9. kz8rt3 Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Currys, a national chain of photographic and electrical retailers here
    > in the UK, announced the other day that they are to stop stocking film
    > camera and films. They say that the sale of digital cameras is 15 times
    > that of film cameras:
    >
    > Currys also stated that a survey showed that 93% of those questioned
    > could not tell a digital from a film photo; this is a very interesting
    > statistic - could the 7% REALLY tell the difference or did they make a
    > lucky guess - I would have expected lucky guesses to be a far higher
    > ratio.
    >
    > I would be interested to hear comments from members.

    I shot film and digital (Canon D300) and have them printed by the same
    process, digital files to fugi crystal archive 8x10.

    I show my friends a bunch of printed photos and give them a random taste
    test: What do they like, and other times, which ones they though were
    film. They like the film images much more and they usually come out
    50/50 when they try to guess which is film. Granted, it was a small
    sample but it is revealing.

    So they don't know what it is that is different, but they do know what
    they like.

    But even 4x6 has a different quality to it. That's it though; people
    want quantity no matter how crappy.

    (BTW, I also try to make digital look like film and I get the same
    reaction.)

    kz8rt3, Aug 20, 2005