  1. Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout? There are some users
    that experience account lockout even I adjusted the account lockout threshold
    to 10.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=, Nov 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

    LRM Guest

    "Jon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout? There are some users
    > that experience account lockout even I adjusted the account lockout
    > threshold
    > to 10.

    Actually I do remember a virus causing something like this. Check your lsass
    process and see if you see it more than once and if the cpu usage is
    unusually high. If this is the case, disconnect from the network and try to
    log on again. If you don't notice the same slowness, and log on problems,
    you need to make sure your virus defs are up to date and run a scan. I think
    I had to wipe a few drives about 6 months ago with this. Also search the
    Symantec web site for virus info from about 6 months ago.

    Good luck

    LRM, Nov 15, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >> Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout? There are some users
    >> that experience account lockout even I adjusted the account lockout
    >> threshold
    >> to 10.

    >Actually I do remember a virus causing something like this.

    .... or it could be that the users accounts' are also being used to
    start services etc, or the users are just plain stupid, or ...........

    So, start by checking the logs.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Nov 15, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

    DST Guest

    Yes, there are viruses that try to spread via shares and that will do a
    (small) dictionary attack when authentication is requested for the
    share. This can cause an account lockout.

    But a virus is not the first thing I would start looking for.

    I've seen account lockouts because the user had typed his credentials
    in a COM+ application and later changed his password without updating
    the COM+ configuration.

    DST

    DST, Nov 15, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

    kpg Guest

    Jon <> said something like

    > Is is possible that virus can cause account lockout?
    > There are some users that experience account lockout even I adjusted
    > the account lockout threshold to 10.

    Don't be so quick to blame viruses (viri?) for unexplained behavior,
    understand the symptoms first. Viruses, bad sectors, and bad memory get
    the blame when the troubleshooter doesn't fully understand the problem.
    Always try to find a solution that eliminates theses, keeping in mind,
    of course, that they CAN happen on occasion.

    kpg, Nov 15, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

    Consultant Guest

    check the security log on your dc, it will tell you what workstation(s) the
    traffic is coming from. then you can check for stuff like services,
    scheduled tasks, etc

    Consultant, Nov 15, 2005