    should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
    comments by people who have used them

    i'll be with verizon, great plans!

    Brian, Aug 11, 2003

  2. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:43:52 GMT, "Brian"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
    >boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped heh.
    >should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
    >comments by people who have used them
    >
    >i'll be with verizon, great plans!

    It's crap; don't spend your money on it.

    a 32 bit process, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Brian

    Gil Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
    > boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped heh.
    > should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
    > comments by people who have used them
    >
    > i'll be with verizon, great plans!
    >
    > We have a giant indoor flea market here and i was inside the steel

    building about a year ago and my phone which is on cingular said
    no service.
    There is a cell accessories booth and i asked about the antennas.
    The guy installed one in my phone and i got a strong signal.
    I'm not reccomending them, But it worked for me.

    Gil, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Brian

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
    [snip]

    > How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

    Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.

    [snip]
    --
    Think 'inductive loop'.

    Jimchip, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Brian

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Jimchip said:

    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >> How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

    > Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
    >
    > [snip]

    > --
    > Think 'inductive loop'.

    He has trouble understanding the first word, forget the 2 that follow.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 11, 2003
  6. On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    >How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

    Technically it's possible, the same way that elements on a parasitic
    antenna improve reception even though they are not attached to the
    line. The only difference in this case is that the sticker is a scam.

    a 32 bit process, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Brian

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> scribbled:

    >I've got

    You've got NOTHING, pedophile.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Brian Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <IpDZa.81831$>:

    > I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker'
    > antenna boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like
    > $4 shipped heh. should i invest in one or do they really not work?
    > just looking for some comments by people who have used them
    >
    > i'll be with verizon, great plans!

    Cell phone version of Snake Oil, IMO...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Aug 11, 2003
  9. Brian

    Zknb Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:22:03 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
    >[snip]
    >
    >> How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

    >Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
    >
    >[snip]
    >--
    >Think 'inductive loop'.

    Think again...

    But lets take a little theory for a ride...

    Your cell phone antenna is a vertically polarized omni-directional
    antenna, the most simple antenna design.

    Complex antenna designs often have parasitic elements. One reflector
    and any number of directors not physically connected to the driven
    element.

    These parasitic elements improve gain because they are sized and
    placed at PRECISE multiples of the antenna center frequency.

    How precise can you put that sticker on the back of your phone...

    Another thing, when you add elements to an antenna you also change the
    receiving (and transmitting) pattern. You get high gain at the front
    but very reduced gain (less gain than with no elements) at the rear.

    You no longer have an omni-directional antenna.

    For a cell phone this would be a very bad thing unless you are always
    standing in the same spot and pointing the same direction.

    Zknb, Aug 12, 2003
  10. Brian

    Jimchip Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:02:09 GMT, Zknb wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:22:03 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>> How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

    >>Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
    >>
    >>[snip]
    >>--
    >>Think 'inductive loop'.

    > Think again...

    I don't need to think again...you're including my sig, which was an
    offhand comment on St00pid's "How can it work if it's not connected to
    the antenna", not necessarily the original question. I could have said
    "Think WiFi" and it would have suited *my* purposes.

    Perhaps you want to give your theory to the original poster.

    > But lets take a little theory for a ride...
    >
    > Your cell phone antenna is a vertically polarized omni-directional
    > antenna, the most simple antenna design.
    >
    > Complex antenna designs often have parasitic elements. One reflector
    > and any number of directors not physically connected to the driven
    > element.
    >
    > These parasitic elements improve gain because they are sized and
    > placed at PRECISE multiples of the antenna center frequency.

    You're describing a Yagi.

    > How precise can you put that sticker on the back of your phone...
    >
    > Another thing, when you add elements to an antenna you also change the
    > receiving (and transmitting) pattern. You get high gain at the front
    > but very reduced gain (less gain than with no elements) at the rear.
    >
    > You no longer have an omni-directional antenna.
    >
    > For a cell phone this would be a very bad thing unless you are always
    > standing in the same spot and pointing the same direction.

    I don't have a cell phone so the 'you' is misapplied.

    --
    "I give up, you don't want to see that there is a difference between
    being in something and being in something that is attached to, a part

    Jimchip, Aug 12, 2003
  11. Brian

    nemo Guest

    a 32 bit process <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:43:52 GMT, "Brian"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
    > >boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped

    heh.
    > >should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
    > >comments by people who have used them
    > >
    > >i'll be with verizon, great plans!
    > >

    > It's crap; don't spend your money on it.

    I don't want to seem a harbinger of doom again, but if you're talking about
    a mobile phone, you're in enough danger from the radiation already without
    wanting to boost it.

    "More research is needed" my arse. It was all done years ago by our
    magnificent Royal Signals amongst others. The manufacturers only said this
    so they could wait until everyone is so dependent on the things that they
    can't do without them - then when the tumours or whatever start to appear,
    all they'll do is issue a warning saying not to use them quite so much.

    It makes me cringe to see so many people, particularly youngsters, walking
    about with 2 Watt 1GHz transmitters clasped to the sides of their heads.

    We had enough trouble (well hushed up of course) when our (UK) police
    started to get cataracts from radios with the aerials/antennae on top of the
    microphones so they were right in front of their eyes when they were
    transmitting - and they were only on 147MHz.

    Nemo

    nemo, Aug 16, 2003
  12. Brian

    nemo Guest

    Jimchip <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    > > How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

    > Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
    >
    > [snip]
    > --
    > Think 'inductive loop'.

    You mean like a reflector or director in a Yagi aerial??? But these use
    helicals don't they?

    nemo, Aug 16, 2003
  13. Brian

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:44:51 GMT, nemo wrote:

    > Jimchip <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:39:19 -0500, Richard wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> > How can it work if it's not connected to the antenna or even the phone?

    >> Oh St00pid, you don't know what you're talking about.
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >> --
    >> Think 'inductive loop'.

    > You mean like a reflector or director in a Yagi aerial??? But these use
    > helicals don't they?

    It was strictly a comment on St00pid's statement "How can it work if
    it's not connected to the antenna..."

    --
    Symptom: Drinking fails to give taste and satisfaction,
    beer is unusually pale and clear.

    Diagnosis: Glass empty.

    Jimchip, Aug 16, 2003
  14. "nemo" <> wrote:

    >a 32 bit process <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:43:52 GMT, "Brian"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm getting a cell tomorrow for school. Do those little 'sticker' antenna
    >> >boosters really help any? they are dirt cheap on ebay like $4 shipped

    >heh.
    >> >should i invest in one or do they really not work? just looking for some
    >> >comments by people who have used them
    >> >
    >> >i'll be with verizon, great plans!
    >> >

    >> It's crap; don't spend your money on it.

    >I don't want to seem a harbinger of doom again, but if you're talking about
    >a mobile phone, you're in enough danger from the radiation already without
    >wanting to boost it.
    >
    >"More research is needed" my arse. It was all done years ago by our
    >magnificent Royal Signals amongst others.

    ;o)

    Are/were you a Signaller?

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 18, 2003
  15. Brian

    Tom Miller Guest

    Yes, at least 1 of the external antenna's I have used seems to work. My
    other job is as a truck driver, so I see a lot of varying signal
    strengths...

    Tom

    Tom Miller, Aug 18, 2003
  16. Brian

    CH Studios

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    My saga began with throwing $400+ down a rat hole with one of this site's advertisers, CellAntenna. I purchased a Gemini08 SOHO system. It took months to get even the one page install sheet. I had an engineer install it in over 20 locations and rotate every degree in every location with absolutely no results. This was on a house in Denver. Not an extraordinary location or extraordinary structure. He then took it to Boulder and tried on two locations in a semi industrial building. The cheap AT&T cell booster already installed had a better result. The Gemini had no results and he concluded the product was defective but we had no testing equipment to verify. Attempts to find where to return the item were completely ignored by CellAntenna. I then sent the unit to the mountains with another engineer/aviation inspector who performed the same extensive install/testing with no results. Again, communications with CellAntenna have been ignored. I was then solicited by CellAntenna attempting to sell me more items and that provided me with an address to which I returned the item. USPS confirmed their receipt and still no communication with them. So may I warn all interested parties that this company sells defective equipment that they do not stand behind. They have no customer service. DO BUSINESS WITH CELLANTENNA AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    By the way, I invested $250 in the Verizon cell booster, changed my service to Verizon and I at least have cell service inside my residence now.

    CH Studios, Feb 12, 2013