    invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    share it with the rest of us.
    , Sep 13, 2006

  2. Rudy Benner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    > http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    >
    > The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    > invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    > share it with the rest of us.

    Frankly Scarlet .....
    Rudy Benner, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    > http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    >
    > The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    > invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    > share it with the rest of us.

    Not unless I get something for doing so.

    They are in business to make money.

    They are not a social organisation like a church or cummunity centre.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Bill K Guest

    wrote:
    > Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    > http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    >
    > The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    > invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    > share it with the rest of us.

    Why?

    Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    town that has the coffee I like.
    --
    Gator Bait
    Bill K, Sep 13, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    "Bill K" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    > > http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    > >
    > > The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    > > invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    > > share it with the rest of us.

    > Why?
    >
    > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    > town that has the coffee I like.

    Try MacDonalds.

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
    Ockham's Razor, Sep 13, 2006
  6. SMS Guest

    Bill K wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    >> http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    >> invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    >> share it with the rest of us.

    > Why?
    >
    > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    > town that has the coffee I like.

    How sad.
    SMS, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 03:52:14 -0700, Bill K wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    >> http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    >> invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    >> share it with the rest of us.

    > Why?
    >
    > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    > town that has the coffee I like.

    Our nearest would be the local ASDA and why would I want to record that
    pile?

    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply
    Neil Ellwood, Sep 13, 2006
  8. Bill Funk Guest

    Bill K wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    >> http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    >> invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    >> share it with the rest of us.

    > Why?
    >
    > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    > town that has the coffee I like.

    Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    of the people who apply for jobs there?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 14, 2006
  9. Philippe Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > Bill K wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    >>>http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>>The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    >>>invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    >>>share it with the rest of us.

    >>Why?
    >>
    >>Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    >>town that has the coffee I like.

    > Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    > Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    > of the people who apply for jobs there?

    so either they get about ten times the applicants they need, or you're
    suggesting they don't hire locally.

    Me, I don't really like wal-mart, though they're handy for the attached
    McD's.. My Sister in law applied and got hired at a new store before it
    even opened, so (in that area at least) they where doing at least *some*
    local hiring..

    I've never applied so I don't know personally though..
    ;)
    P.

    --
    I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)
    Philippe, Sep 14, 2006
  10. gpsman Guest

    wrote:
    > Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    > http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/

    Yes, they pretty much all look the same.

    > The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    > invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    > share it with the rest of us.

    Why not collect the gps coordinates instead and share something
    "useful". I recommend you set criteria of the middle of the parking
    lot and decimal degrees.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Sep 14, 2006
  11. Pat Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > Bill K wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >> Do all Wal-Marts look the same? That is the question at
    > >> http://mywal-mart.blogspot.com/
    > >>
    > >> The idea is to get a photo of every Wal Mart out there. You're all
    > >> invited, encouraged even, to go take a photo of your Wal-Mart and come
    > >> share it with the rest of us.

    > > Why?
    > >
    > > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    > > town that has the coffee I like.

    > Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    > Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    > of the people who apply for jobs there?
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > replace "g" with "a"

    Actually, most research indicates that Walmart is pretty good for the
    communities it goes into, in fact it is also good for the local
    retailers. The retailers who suffer are the ones 10 miles away.
    That's why there are lots of stores in strip malls that have Walmarts
    or are near Walmart.

    Lets say your kid is screaming for the newest video game. You go to
    Wallyworld and they don't have it. So you then go next door to the
    gaming store to get it instead of going home to see if the local store
    has it. Once people get in the car and go there, they tend to want to
    get all of their shopping down without too much running around. So the
    local stores are all set, but the father away ones suffer.

    Yes, they also have an impact on Kmart and such, but they are hardly
    "local".
    Pat, Sep 14, 2006
  12. Mark B. Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message

    > Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    > Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    > of the people who apply for jobs there?

    So if they have 100 positions to fill (just an example), and 1,000 to 10,000
    people apply it's somehow their fault? Are they supposed to give every
    person that fills out an application a job?

    I don't like going into Wal-Mart either, but let's be honest - for every
    person that claims they never set foot in a Wal-Mart there are easily 20
    that do. Every Wal-Mart I see is packed with shoppers. So we have nobody
    but ourselves to blame for the low price mania and the China imports that
    have taken our manufacturing jobs. It's an ugly cycle. We want low prices,
    but at the same time we want higher pay to buy 50" HD TVs and super-sized
    SUVs. Can't have it both ways. Wal-Mart is obviously filling a need (or
    desire if you prefer) in the market. So the people you really should be
    protesting against are the customers. Just my 2 cents :)

    Mark
    Mark B., Sep 15, 2006
  13. Mark B. Guest

    "Bill K" <> wrote in message

    > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    > town that has the coffee I like.

    I love coffee myself, and although I don't consider myself a connisseur (I'm
    not even sure I can spell it!), I'm sure I could find something better than
    at Wal-Mart.

    Mark
    Mark B., Sep 15, 2006
  14. Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:52:14 GMT, Philippe
    <> wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >> Bill K wrote:

    >>>Why?
    >>>
    >>>Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    >>>town that has the coffee I like.

    >> Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    >> Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    >> of the people who apply for jobs there?

    >so either they get about ten times the applicants they need, or you're
    >suggesting they don't hire locally.

    A simple keeping up will show they get far more applicants than they
    have positions. They hire locally.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 15, 2006
  15. Pat Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > "Bill K" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    > > town that has the coffee I like.

    > I love coffee myself, and although I don't consider myself a connisseur (I'm
    > not even sure I can spell it!), I'm sure I could find something better than
    > at Wal-Mart.
    >
    > Mark

    I've often thought that people like their coffee like they like their
    spouses. In his case, it must be "strong, hot, and bitter".
    :)
    Pat, Sep 15, 2006
  16. Bill Funk Guest

    On 14 Sep 2006 11:14:59 -0700, "Pat" <>
    wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >> Bill K wrote:

    >> > Why?
    >> >
    >> > Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    >> > town that has the coffee I like.

    >> Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    >> Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    >> of the people who apply for jobs there?
    >> --
    >> Bill Funk
    >> replace "g" with "a"

    >Actually, most research indicates that Walmart is pretty good for the
    >communities it goes into, in fact it is also good for the local
    >retailers. The retailers who suffer are the ones 10 miles away.
    >That's why there are lots of stores in strip malls that have Walmarts
    >or are near Walmart.
    >
    >Lets say your kid is screaming for the newest video game. You go to
    >Wallyworld and they don't have it. So you then go next door to the
    >gaming store to get it instead of going home to see if the local store
    >has it. Once people get in the car and go there, they tend to want to
    >get all of their shopping down without too much running around. So the
    >local stores are all set, but the father away ones suffer.
    >
    >Yes, they also have an impact on Kmart and such, but they are hardly
    >"local".

    Well, I was saying that there are far more applicants than positions;
    it's obvious that the people like WalMart; the elite may not, but the
    people do.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 15, 2006
  17. Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:55:17 -0400, "Mark B."
    <> wrote:

    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    >> Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    >> of the people who apply for jobs there?

    >So if they have 100 positions to fill (just an example), and 1,000 to 10,000
    >people apply it's somehow their fault? Are they supposed to give every
    >person that fills out an application a job?

    What I'm saying (but in a way that is sarcastic) is that WalMart
    obviously isn't seen as a bad place to work.

    >I don't like going into Wal-Mart either, but let's be honest - for every
    >person that claims they never set foot in a Wal-Mart there are easily 20
    >that do. Every Wal-Mart I see is packed with shoppers. So we have nobody
    >but ourselves to blame for the low price mania and the China imports that
    >have taken our manufacturing jobs. It's an ugly cycle. We want low prices,
    >but at the same time we want higher pay to buy 50" HD TVs and super-sized
    >SUVs. Can't have it both ways. Wal-Mart is obviously filling a need (or
    >desire if you prefer) in the market. So the people you really should be
    >protesting against are the customers. Just my 2 cents :)

    I'm not protesting against anyone.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 15, 2006
  18. Pat wrote:
    > Mark B. wrote:
    >> "Bill K" <> wrote in message
    >>> Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Except it's the only place in
    >>> town that has the coffee I like.

    >> I love coffee myself, and although I don't consider myself a connisseur (I'm
    >> not even sure I can spell it!), I'm sure I could find something better than
    >> at Wal-Mart.

    > I've often thought that people like their coffee like they like their
    > spouses. In his case, it must be "strong, hot, and bitter".

    Walmart coffee is strong? I am lucky enough to live within a mile of one
    of the world's best coffee purveyors, Peet's. Their decaf(s) taste
    better than most regular coffees from that national chain with a huge
    marketing department, with shops on every other corner.

    But my question is: since I like almost equally black coffee, yes,
    strong and hot; I also like one sugar and cream or milk or half and
    half, (also strong and hot) what does that say about my taste in women?
    (I am happily with one wonderful woman). ....

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 15, 2006
  19. "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message

    > Yes, WalMart is reaslly bad for any communityt hey move into.
    > Did you know they hire less than 10% (and in many cases, less than 1%)
    > of the people who apply for jobs there?
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > replace "g" with "a"

    Wal Mart get plenty of applicants yet others bash them for the low wages and
    poor working conditions. No one is forcing anyone to work there.

    People also claim Wal Mart puts the little stores out of business. That
    too, is FALSE. What puts them out of business is the lack of customers
    because so many people prefer to go to Wal Mart. While I much prefer to buy
    at a store that gives me good service, good selection, fair prices, they
    have not existed in my town for the 25 years pre-ceding the coming of Wal
    Mart. They also put the K Mart out of business here because K Mark had
    crap, by comparison.
    Edwin Pawlowski, Sep 16, 2006
  20. (Edwin Pawlowski) wrote:

    > What puts them out of business is the lack of customers
    > because so many people prefer to go to Wal Mart.

    Often the main incentive to visit a big supermarket is price. And given
    their deep pockets, prices on specific products can be manipulated (even
    to the point of making a significant loss on a range of goods) to put
    local competition out of business. Then prices can drift up into
    profitability again. It can and does happen all the time, and not just
    at Wal*Mart.

    Having said that, people usually get the shops and the governments they
    deserve.

    Andrew McP
    Andrew MacPherson, Sep 16, 2006