Do all service providers accept /24's via BGP?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by James, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. James

    James Guest

    We have recently acquired a /24 from APNIC and are advertising this
    range with BGP via two ISP's.

    We configured BGP between ISP1 twelve days ago and ISP2 seven days
    ago. Our second ISP casualy mentioned after the BGP configuration,
    despite several meetings beforehand, that not all service providers
    and organizations accept /24 prefixes into their BGP tables.

    This would appear to be true - out of the five websites that I visit
    daily, two are not accessable when I translate myself using an IP from
    our /24 range.

    Has anyone else come across this problem?

    At the moment the fix appears to be to ask APNIC for a /22 which is a
    complete waste of address space.....

    James

    James, Mar 7, 2007

  2. James

    chris Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > We have recently acquired a /24 from APNIC and are advertising this
    > range with BGP via two ISP's.
    >
    > We configured BGP between ISP1 twelve days ago and ISP2 seven days
    > ago. Our second ISP casualy mentioned after the BGP configuration,
    > despite several meetings beforehand, that not all service providers
    > and organizations accept /24 prefixes into their BGP tables.
    >
    > This would appear to be true - out of the five websites that I visit
    > daily, two are not accessable when I translate myself using an IP from
    > our /24 range.
    >
    > Has anyone else come across this problem?
    >
    > At the moment the fix appears to be to ask APNIC for a /22 which is a
    > complete waste of address space.....
    >
    > James

    In my experience *most* ISP's will accept a /24 prefix but I beleive that
    some will not. If you have only a /24 then you run the risk of routing
    problems. Seems silly I know but given the increase in size of the global
    BGP routing table some ISP's will take measures to reduce it whereever
    possible.

    Chris.

    chris, Mar 7, 2007

  3. James

    James Guest

    Thanks.

    Do you have any idea what prefix is "safe"?

    James, Mar 8, 2007
  4. James

    chris Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Do you have any idea what prefix is "safe"?

    Depends on the ISP. Everyone's policy is different.

    chris, Mar 10, 2007