    Thank

    Gaetan
    --

    Gaetan Mailloux, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Gaetan Mailloux

    TCS Guest

    On 8 Jan 2005 04:37:00 GMT, Gaetan Mailloux <> wrote:

    >Hi

    >Do all dvd players can play vcd ?

    no

    TCS, Jan 8, 2005

  3. "Gaetan Mailloux" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > Do all dvd players can play vcd ?

    Most all of them should. There's probably a few older ones that don't,
    though.

    Patrick Michael, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Gaetan Mailloux

    Biz Guest

    Most play vcd which is mpeg1, but there are many many older models that do
    not support recordable cd media, so on those units only store bought(meaning
    pressed vcds, not burned at home style)

    For a good indicator, look your model up at www.vcdhelp.com under dvd
    players

    Biz, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Gaetan Mailloux

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:56:39 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >> Do all dvd players can play vcd ?
    >>

    >Most all of them should. There's probably a few older ones that don't,
    >though.

    And some newer ones don't play VCD. I recently got an Apex 1600 as a
    gift (to replace my old GE5803 that has been running 5 years and shows
    sign of arthritis). It does everything out of box but play VCD (both
    import and home burned). Fortunately firmware existed to get around
    that.

    Impmon, Jan 8, 2005
  6. "Biz" <> writes:

    > Most play vcd which is mpeg1, but there are many many older models that do
    > not support recordable cd media, so on those units only store bought(meaning
    > pressed vcds, not burned at home style)

    Some of those may play CDRW:s, but not CDR:s.

    I had an old Pioneer DV-505, with a single wavelength laser, and it
    would normally not play any CDR:s, but had no problem at all playing
    CDRW:s. Some brands of really light blue dye CDR:s could be played though.

    It would play vcd:s, but not s-vcd:s.

    > For a good indicator, look your model up at www.vcdhelp.com under dvd
    > players
    >

    > "Gaetan Mailloux" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Do all dvd players can play vcd ?
    > >
    > > Thank
    > >
    > > Gaetan
    > > --

    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Gaetan Mailloux

    Jules Dubois Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 04:37:00 +0000, Gaetan Mailloux wrote:

    > Do all dvd players can play vcd ?

    Certainly not.

    Jules Dubois, Jan 8, 2005
  8. Gaetan Mailloux

    Biz Guest

    The DV-C505 my parents have plays everyting I put in it. I've not seen any
    issue with cd-r or cd-rw media at all...

    Biz, Jan 8, 2005
  9. Gaetan Mailloux

    Ollie T Guest

    "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:56:39 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Do all dvd players can play vcd ?
    >>>

    >>Most all of them should. There's probably a few older ones that don't,
    >>though.

    > And some newer ones don't play VCD. I recently got an Apex 1600 as a
    > gift (to replace my old GE5803 that has been running 5 years and shows
    > sign of arthritis). It does everything out of box but play VCD (both
    > import and home burned). Fortunately firmware existed to get around
    > that.

    That's strange. Apex was always the #1 brand to go to for VCD and SVCD.
    All the Apex DVD players my friends and family have play almost everything
    you can throw at them.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Jan 9, 2005
  10. Gaetan Mailloux

    RichA Guest

    On 08 Jan 2005 12:07:34 +0100, Thomas Tornblom
    <-to-reply> wrote:

    >"Biz" <> writes:
    >
    >> Most play vcd which is mpeg1, but there are many many older models that do
    >> not support recordable cd media, so on those units only store bought(meaning
    >> pressed vcds, not burned at home style)

    >Some of those may play CDRW:s, but not CDR:s.
    >
    >I had an old Pioneer DV-505, with a single wavelength laser, and it
    >would normally not play any CDR:s, but had no problem at all playing
    >CDRW:s. Some brands of really light blue dye CDR:s could be played though.
    >
    >It would play vcd:s, but not s-vcd:s.

    Better question; How come some cheapjack walmart player will play
    5-7 formats while mega-dollar Sony, etc, DVD players won't support
    anything but DVD, CD Video And CD-Rs????

    RichA, Jan 9, 2005
  11. Gaetan Mailloux

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 05:32:16 GMT, "Ollie T" <> wrote:

    >That's strange. Apex was always the #1 brand to go to for VCD and SVCD.
    >All the Apex DVD players my friends and family have play almost everything
    >you can throw at them.

    Evidently Apex stopped supporting VCD with later 1600's and possibly
    other Apex players. I also have a new Apex portable DVD player from
    last fall that plays VCD out of the box.

    Impmon, Jan 9, 2005
  12. Gaetan Mailloux

    Zak Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > Better question; How come some cheapjack walmart player will play
    > 5-7 formats while mega-dollar Sony, etc, DVD players won't support
    > anything but DVD, CD Video And CD-Rs????

    Designed in China, where the customer seems king.
    - versus -
    Designed by committee, where MPAA, DVD-CCA and others have a big influence.

    Some more examples:
    - the Sony "MP3" players that couldn't play MP3's
    - "hifi component" CD burners that couldn't use ordinary CD-Rs
    - Sony car radios that wouldn't read CD-Rs
    - a Sony DVD writer (which is actually a Lite-On) that won't set the
    'book type' to 'normal DVD' any more after a firmware update - while
    the base model Lite-On still can after the corresponding firmware upgrade?

    DVD region codes are a similar matter.

    Thomas

    Zak, Jan 9, 2005
  13. Gaetan Mailloux

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <Al3Ed.15432$>,
    Ollie T <> wrote:

    >"Impmon" <> wrote in message

    >>>Most all of them should. There's probably a few older ones that don't,
    >>>though.

    >> And some newer ones don't play VCD. I recently got an Apex 1600 as a
    >> gift (to replace my old GE5803 that has been running 5 years and shows
    >> sign of arthritis). It does everything out of box but play VCD (both
    >> import and home burned). Fortunately firmware existed to get around
    >> that.

    >That's strange. Apex was always the #1 brand to go to for VCD and SVCD.
    >All the Apex DVD players my friends and family have play almost everything
    >you can throw at them.

    Apex was forced to pay royalties fo Philips for use of the VCD format, and
    decided instead to drop support for it. Many models will play SVCD which
    is not covered by Philips' patents.

    Mike S., Jan 9, 2005
  14. Gaetan Mailloux

    Biz Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > Better question; How come some cheapjack walmart player will play
    > 5-7 formats while mega-dollar Sony, etc, DVD players won't support
    > anything but DVD, CD Video And CD-Rs????

    Easy, those cheap players are mostly made in the east(CHina, Taiwan,
    etc...)and those manufacturers dont care anything about piracy or standards,
    Whereas Sony has a large stake in actual titles releases for CD and DVD.
    One thing to remember as well, while I'm not a fan of Sony players, some of
    their ES models have excellent audio and video quality, those cheap players
    that play everything do it all very poorly, and you're lucky to get most of
    them to last a year.

    Biz, Jan 9, 2005
  15. Gaetan Mailloux

    Yikes!ItsIke Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 05:32:16 GMT, "Ollie T" <> wrote:

    >"Impmon" <> wrote in message

    >>>Most all of them should. There's probably a few older ones that don't,
    >>>though.

    >> And some newer ones don't play VCD. I recently got an Apex 1600 as a
    >> gift (to replace my old GE5803 that has been running 5 years and shows
    >> sign of arthritis). It does everything out of box but play VCD (both
    >> import and home burned). Fortunately firmware existed to get around
    >> that.

    >That's strange. Apex was always the #1 brand to go to for VCD and SVCD.
    >All the Apex DVD players my friends and family have play almost everything
    >you can throw at them.
    >
    >HDTV games lists and discussions
    >http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Try this site:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

    They list compatability for hundreds of DVD players.

    Want to Fix Something?

    http://www.manuals4you.com

    Yikes!ItsIke, Jan 22, 2005
  16. >Hi

    >Do all dvd players can play vcd ?
    >
    >Thank
    >
    >Gaetan

    No. Some DVD players can and some can't.

    One way to determine a DVD player's ability to play VCDs is to check the
    player's "Compact Disc" logo if one is present. Typically, players that are
    VCD capable will have the words "Digital Video" in a rectangular box underneath
    the Compact Disc logo. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 25, 2005
  17. >And some newer ones don't play VCD. I recently got an Apex 1600 as a
    >gift (to replace my old GE5803 that has been running 5 years and shows
    >sign of arthritis). It does everything out of box but play VCD (both
    >import and home burned). Fortunately firmware existed to get around
    >that.

    The reason for that is Apex has to pay for licensing to support VCD. Rather
    than do that, they instead omit that capability. But, as you say, there are
    firmware updates from other players based on the same platform which get around
    this and allow it to play VCDs. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 25, 2005
  18. On 25 Jan 2005 18:26:58 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    wrote:

    >>And some newer ones don't play VCD. I recently got an Apex 1600 as a
    >>gift (to replace my old GE5803 that has been running 5 years and shows
    >>sign of arthritis). It does everything out of box but play VCD (both
    >>import and home burned). Fortunately firmware existed to get around
    >>that.

    >The reason for that is Apex has to pay for licensing to support VCD. Rather
    >than do that, they instead omit that capability. But, as you say, there are
    >firmware updates from other players based on the same platform which get around
    >this and allow it to play VCDs. - Reinhart

    And yet, the Apex HT plays (s)vcds.

    Dyuob Poltice, Jan 25, 2005
  19. Gaetan Mailloux

    Omarichu Guest

    Can play vcd? Try writing in English next time, you fucking idiot.

    Omarichu, Jan 28, 2005