    Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.

    At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this big
    really available?

    ]v[etaphoidal, Oct 20, 2008

  2. On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:23:18 +1100, ]v[etaphoidal aided th' terraists with
    the following claims :

    > Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market stand
    > selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
    > Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
    >
    > At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this big
    > really available?

    No. It was a carefully crafted hologram designed by the chinese gubamint
    to fool 'merikin tourists.

    HTH

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

    §ñühwØ£f, Oct 20, 2008

  3. "§ñühwØ£f" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:23:18 +1100, ]v[etaphoidal aided th' terraists with
    > the following claims :
    >
    >> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market stand
    >> selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
    >> Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
    >>
    >> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this
    >> big
    >> really available?

    > No. It was a carefully crafted hologram designed by the chinese gubamint
    > to fool 'merikin tourists.
    >
    > HTH

    Figured as much. Thanks...

    ]v[etaphoidal, Oct 20, 2008
  4. ]v[etaphoidal

    lurk Guest

    I see that they have a thumb drive 16 gigs $59 staples ....won't be
    long till they go no moving parts hard drives...

    lurk, Oct 20, 2008
  5. "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "]v[etaphoidal" <> wrote in message
    >> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market stand
    >> selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
    >> Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
    >>
    >> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this
    >> big really available?
    >>

    > And in Windows Explorer "properties",
    > what size were they?

    Capacity: 257,886,617,600 bytes 240GB

    > I've never seen one bigger than 16 gigs

    Nor had I.

    ]v[etaphoidal, Oct 21, 2008
  6. "Xilsoh" <> wrote in message

    > HI... I travel almost everywhere in the world because of my job...
    > Yesterday night I had one in my hands and my co-worker and I tested it
    > during the flight coming from china and we transfered one mp3 song of
    > 5.36 MB and duplicate it again and again inside this 240 GB usb flash
    > memory and guess what... IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!.. NO KIDDNIG!!!.... we
    > stopped until it had 100GB of mp3 copied song because of my laptop
    > battery almost drained out... we will continue in a few hours testing
    > it... I will write results later... bye

    Wish my experiences were as positive.

    Whilst it shows up as 240GB, it appears to be very flakey. Every second file
    I transfer has errors of some sorts.

    Is yours the "SONY vaio" branded version? Where did you buy it?

    ]v[etaphoidal, Oct 21, 2008
  7. On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:55:05 -0400, lurk aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > I see that they have a thumb drive 16 gigs $59 staples ....won't be
    > long till they go no moving parts hard drives...

    They're already in some netbooks, gEnYuS.

    Price of the drives is quite steep though. Plus when will they fix the
    issue of maximum writes?
    Gimme the spinning platters anyday for reliable daily use.

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

    §ñühwØ£f, Oct 21, 2008
  8. ]v[etaphoidal

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-10-21, Xilsoh <> wrote:
    > ' Wrote:
    >> v[etaphoidal;9244135']"Xilsoh" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > I edited my first comment, please read it again...

    You may have done something on the webforum interface you are using, but
    you didn't do anything to the original message you posted. This is not a
    web forum, it is a usenet newsgroup which "NetTechGuide" have usurped to
    provide free content for their web site and generate income for them from
    the adverts there.

    Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

    <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

    and here

    <http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/>, the Official Home Page of the
    newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 21, 2008
  9. ]v[etaphoidal

    PeeCee Guest

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "]v[etaphoidal" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market
    >>> stand selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed
    >>> up as Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
    >>>
    >>> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this
    >>> big really available?
    >>>

    >> And in Windows Explorer "properties",
    >> what size were they?

    > Capacity: 257,886,617,600 bytes 240GB
    >
    >> I've never seen one bigger than 16 gigs

    > Nor had I.

    Well if it's a 'true' 240GB then that explains why 1-4 GB USB sticks have
    taken such a price dive recently.

    Here's hoping.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 22, 2008
  10. ]v[etaphoidal

    babybear

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    hi, yes they do. i was in shenzhen on the chinese hong kong border this month and bought one for approx $9 australian. it was a sony vaio brand and works fine! wish i had bought more, they had heaps of them! also bought a 32gb at the same stall and got both for $100 hk (approx $19.80 au).

    babybear, Dec 31, 2008
  11. ]v[etaphoidal

    rbrevett

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I want to Stop the Madness about the 240g Falsh Drive

    I am a Technologist and I was in China last year. I bought two of the Sony 240G Micro Vault Flash Drives. They are Junk. Both will show 239g user available storage and the drive supposed to use a few Megs for the system softwares. However, when you copy to the drives they store something. At times files that looks Ok and some that shows abnormal characters. Even the ones that have the correct names cannot be retrived or have bad characters.
    I am sorry for the poor guy who ordered them and waiting for the mightmare. I also hope the guy who is selling them will stop spreading these drives. This is criminal. Although I only paid US $20.00 for these, the sale tactics of the Chinese would make others spent up to US $70.00 or more.

    I would continue to tell you all about the iPods I bought but lets say my three boys think I am a cheap Dad after my genuing desire to give them 8g iPods.

    rbrevett, Jan 12, 2009