    secondary zone, does DNS_A or ClientA go and contact the server that hosts
    the matching primary zone for the secondary zone on DNS_A

    Thanks

    James, Mar 23, 2005

  2. James

    nguyenpv Guest

    if it's in the secondary zone, DNS_A shouldn't have to contact the
    server that hosts the matching primary zone. It should've been able to
    answer ClientA request (assuming the zone are transfered from the
    Master to DNS_A). However, if it's not in it's zone the DNS_A will
    forward the request to the primary server and if that doesn't work and
    DNS is configured in non-exclusive mode, it will go out to the root
    hint and look for it.

    Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Thanks,
    Pete
    James wrote:
    > Question
    >
    > Say you have ClientA, with IP 1.1.1.1 and its DNS server (DNS_A) with

    IP
    > 1.1.1.2, ClientA makes a request to DNS_A, DNS_A has the info listed

    in a

    nguyenpv, Mar 24, 2005

  3. James

    GadiDo Guest

    Hi All

    First , I think that DNS is hard but I will try to answer:

    If U have Primery DNS and Secendery DNS , The Secendry DNS
    store all records of the Primery DNS, The secrendery is
    Read only.

    U can tell Secendery DNS , (U know what?) If U didnt find
    those record check it in this DNS.

    I dont think that the secndery DNS go to primery DNS, Its
    that the Primery DNS (The MASTER DNS) notify the Sec. that
    new record add and Do Zone Transfer.

    BTW: Secndery can also be master DNS , if U put other
    Secendery DNS. but thats diffrent eshue.

    Any way the client check this sec. DNS U put it check all
    zones It mearn if U put two diffrent ZONEs it also check it.

    I think (if I remmber - In MS press there is great example)
    Lets say it didnt find the zone , It go to forward (If U
    setup it) Then Root Hints.

    BTW: DNS do Recursive Query (YES or NO) For the client If U
    set COND. FORWARD. If not It go to Root Hints it and do
    Intertiv Query.

    I hope that I help U , In the DNS help there are great
    example also.

    I hope to pass this exam , I failed it one time , I read 6
    diffrent books.

    GadiDo

    GadiDo, Mar 31, 2005
  4. James

    catwalker63 Guest

    "nguyenpv" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > if it's in the secondary zone, DNS_A shouldn't have to contact the
    > server that hosts the matching primary zone. It should've been able to
    > answer ClientA request (assuming the zone are transfered from the
    > Master to DNS_A). However, if it's not in it's zone the DNS_A will
    > forward the request to the primary server and if that doesn't work and
    > DNS is configured in non-exclusive mode, it will go out to the root
    > hint and look for it.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pete
    > James wrote:
    >> Question
    >>
    >> Say you have ClientA, with IP 1.1.1.1 and its DNS server (DNS_A) with

    > IP
    >> 1.1.1.2, ClientA makes a request to DNS_A, DNS_A has the info listed

    > in a
    >> secondary zone, does DNS_A or ClientA go and contact the server that

    > hosts
    >> the matching primary zone for the secondary zone on DNS_A
    >>
    >> Thanks

    If the secondary is authoritive for the zone the client is requesting
    information for and it doesn't have a matching record, it will not begin
    a recursive query from the root. It will return a "not found" response.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    “If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    deteriorate the cat.” Mark Twain

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005