    client queries for a hostname on the primary server, does the dns server
    first look in the contoso.com zone, and if finds no match, then moves down
    to teh child.contoso.com zone?
    John Smith, Mar 8, 2006

  2. John Smith

    LRM Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:%23SjP$...
    > Quick little question...
    > I have a domain (contoso.com) and have setup a child domain for
    > it(child.contoso.com). i have my primary dns server RM1SRV1.CONTOSO.COM
    > hosting both primary forward lookup zones for both domains. i can go into
    > the command prompt with no problem and ping any computer on the network
    > via
    > the host name. my question is how are the names getting resolved? when a
    > client queries for a hostname on the primary server, does the dns server
    > first look in the contoso.com zone, and if finds no match, then moves down
    > to teh child.contoso.com zone?

    Looks like you're working from an MS Press study kit. Good luck. One thing
    you'll discover after working with that material is that you will become
    aware of what you don't know more than what you do. The only option is to
    begin reading information from other sources. In this case your question
    wasn't a quick one, rather it is complex. The best place to start reading
    is:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/19a63021-cc53-4ded-a7a3-abaf82e7fb7c1033.mspx

    It's bad enough I looked up the site for you so you will have to deal with
    the fact that I didn't shrink it via tiny url. Enjoy!

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, Mar 9, 2006

  3. John Smith

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Mar 9, 2006
  4. John Smith

    LRM Guest

    > did you hear "LRM" <> say in
    >
    >> http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/19a63021-cc53-4d
    >> ed-a7a3-abaf82e7fb7c1033.mspx

    > hey, that link looks familiar...

    It should, isn't it the one you suggested I use not long ago when trying to
    understand when to use a Stub zone? I always like to pass on good advice.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, Mar 9, 2006
  5. John Smith

    kpg Guest

    kpg, Mar 9, 2006
  6. John Smith

    Neil Guest

    did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in

    > Oh, that's nice...the printer freindly version is 83 pages.

    beats purchasing a book from Cricket Liu

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Friends don't let friends drive naked.
    Neil, Mar 9, 2006
  7. John Smith

    kpg Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> said something like

    >> Oh, that's nice...the printer freindly version is 83 pages.
    >>

    > beats purchasing a book from Cricket Liu

    I'll take your word for it. :)
    kpg, Mar 9, 2006
  8. John Smith

    MitchS Guest

    "kpg" <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> wrote in message
    > Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> said something like
    >
    >>> Oh, that's nice...the printer freindly version is 83 pages.
    >>>

    >> beats purchasing a book from Cricket Liu

    > I'll take your word for it. :)

    Not as nice as purchasing a poster of Lucy Liu though.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MitchS, Mar 9, 2006
  9. John Smith

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Mar 8, 2006 at 10:10pm "LRM" blathered:

    > It's bad enough I looked up the site for you so you will have to deal with
    > the fact that I didn't shrink it via tiny url. Enjoy!

    In the time it took you to type that, you could have made a tiny url. Furrfu.

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100
    I am Dyslexic of Borg. Your a$$ will be laminated.
    TechGeekPro, Mar 9, 2006
  10. John Smith

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Mar 9, 2006 at 9:15am "kpg" blathered:

    > LRM <> said something like

    > Oh, that's nice...the printer freindly version is 83 pages.
    >

    > *sigh*

    TMML

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100
    The instrument has yet to be invented
    TechGeekPro, Mar 9, 2006
  11. John Smith

    JaR Guest

    the plaintive wail of TechGeekPro:

    >> It's bad enough I looked up the site for you so you will have to deal
    >> with the fact that I didn't shrink it via tiny url. Enjoy!

    > In the time it took you to type that, you could have made a tiny url.
    > Furrfu.

    It's hard work being lazy.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110
    JaR, Mar 9, 2006
  12. John Smith

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "MitchS" <> say in

    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/catalog/view/au/284?x-t=book.view

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - GUI: Golfing Under the Influence.
    Neil, Mar 9, 2006
  13. John Smith

    kpg Guest

    kpg, Mar 9, 2006
  14. John Smith

    MitchS Guest

    MitchS, Mar 9, 2006
  15. John Smith

    JaR Guest

    JaR, Mar 9, 2006
  16. John Smith

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Mar 9, 2006 at 3:13pm "Neil" blathered:

    > did you hear "MitchS" <> say in
    >
    >> "kpg" <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> wrote in message
    >>> Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> said something like

    >>> I'll take your word for it. :)

    >> Not as nice as purchasing a poster of Lucy Liu though.
    >>

    > *sigh*
    >
    > http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/catalog/view/au/284?x-t=book.view

    This is better:

    http://www2.warnerbros.com/ecks_vs_sever/img/desktop/sever3.jpg

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100
    I fart in your general direction.
    TechGeekPro, Mar 9, 2006
  17. John Smith

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Mar 9, 2006 at 2:35pm "JaR" blathered:

    > Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    > the plaintive wail of TechGeekPro:
    >
    >>> It's bad enough I looked up the site for you so you will have to deal
    >>> with the fact that I didn't shrink it via tiny url. Enjoy!

    >> In the time it took you to type that, you could have made a tiny url.
    >> Furrfu.

    > It's hard work being lazy.

    I'm not lazy, I just don't care.

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100
    Excuse me, is this the right room for an argument?
    TechGeekPro, Mar 9, 2006
  18. John Smith

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Mar 9, 2006
  19. John Smith

    MitchS Guest

    > On Mar 9, 2006 at 3:13pm "Neil" blathered:
    >
    >> did you hear "MitchS" <> say in
    >>
    >>> "kpg" <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> wrote in message

    >>> Not as nice as purchasing a poster of Lucy Liu though.
    >>>

    >> *sigh*
    >>
    >> http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/catalog/view/au/284?x-t=book.view

    > This is better:
    >
    > http://www2.warnerbros.com/ecks_vs_sever/img/desktop/sever3.jpg

    There's just something about a hawt chick in spandex with an MP5 that just
    seems right...

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MitchS, Mar 9, 2006
  20. John Smith

    Neil Guest

    did you hear TechGeekPro <%username%@gmail.com> say in

    > I'm not lazy, I just don't care.

    I'll take "not quite an Office Space quote" for $1000, Alex...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - "What's the point of the story?" Aesop exclaimed morally.
    Neil, Mar 9, 2006