    BTW I'm using XP SP2 with IE 6.

    Kris
    , Apr 30, 2006

  2. Zonter Guest

    Hi, I'm Alessandro Saitta, a 37 y.o. italian man. I live in Follonica
    (Grosseto) Italy - Cassarello street, 131. I'm the most famous
    italian spammer in the world. If you uderstand italian language, come
    to visit my site at:
    http://tinyurl.com/q7uh2

    Don't miss the amazing opportunity to meet the italian 'cantautore alla
    bona' at: www.lellovitello.it

    Hurry up! so come on! Don't you know the italian 'Cantore della Merda'?
    Don't waste your time and come to: www.joenatta.com !

    Express your opinions about everything! No restrictions! Multi
    language site at: www.what-about.it !
    Zonter, May 1, 2006

  3. Brett Guest

    Hi.

    Are you using Norton Internet Security and checking your e-mail with Outlook
    Express? I had the exactly the same problem (it was
    Code:
     A DNS
    lookup error occurred because the request timed out during the lookup) and
    eventually tracked it back to a problem with the NIS firewall settings in
    relation to the Slingshit mail server. Contacted their no help desk and
    found them as unhelpful as ever. They had no idea how to fix it or interest
    in trying to help. Just said that I should try contacting Symantec. As
    Symantec would have had no idea of the Slingshit setup this was obviously a
    futile waste of time, so I fiddle around with rules until I found something
    that worked. Sorry that I can't remember or se what it was but at least this
    should narrow it down a bit. Try closing NIS briefly and check you email
    again. I think that you'll find that you can check it with no problem.

    Brett

    Brett, May 1, 2006
  4. Brett Guest

    Just one other bit of info for you. Here is a copy of my email to the no
    help desk, which at least says which ports it was that I needed to fix:

    "Hi. I am using Slingshot ADSL and can check all of my e-mail accounts with
    Outlook Express except for my Slingshot accounts. I can check the Slingshot
    accounts if I disable Norton Internet Security but that is not a viable long
    term solution. I've noticed that Slingshot uses port 25 for SMTP and port
    110 for POP3, whereas the Gmail account that I can successfully check with
    NIS on uses for 465 for SMTP and port 995 for POP3. Presumably I just need
    to adjust a port setting in NIS for this to work."

    Hope this helps a bit.

    Brett

    Brett, May 1, 2006