DNS service & D-Link DVG-1120M

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Rick Merrill, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    My settings and question are at the bottom of this.
    I use AttCallvantage over Comcast Broadband.

    I've received the following letter:

    Dear Comcast Customer:

    Comcast is focused on providing the best experience for all of our
    customers. We recently updated the domain name server ('DNS') components
    in our network to help ensure that we continue to deliver the high
    quality service you expect from Comcast.

    Over the years you may have manually configured DNS settings for a
    variety of reasons. If so, it is important that your PC is configured
    for dynamic DNS communication. To help ensure that you do not lose your
    internet connection, we ask that you follow the directions outlined in
    the following FAQ’s:
    To prevent any loss of Internet connectivity in the future, please take
    the time to make these changes to your DNS settings. We ask that you
    make these changes by March 12, 2006 to prevent any disruption in your
    Internet service.

    You can find answers to your service questions instantly at Comcast.net.
    If you still have questions, please email our Customer Service
    Representatives. Our knowledgeable Representatives are available 24/7 to
    promptly respond to your questions.

    Sincerely,
    Comcast High-Speed Internet
    ---
    65.96.216.1 is my gateway but my interface is using Mac cloning and
    DNS servers 68.87.64.196 and 4.2.2.4 which are far away. The interface
    is an ATA D-Link DVG-1120M ... I cannot see how to tell it to get DNS
    from the default gateway - do I just leave those entries blank?
    Rick
    Merrill

    Rick Merrill, Feb 23, 2006

  2. The details depend on the device you are using as router, and the protocol
    used by the ISP to supply IP address and other parameters (default
    gateway, netmask, and, indeed, DNS servers addresses). I'm not familiar
    with either the D-Link DVG-1120M or Comcast, but I guess the latter uses
    DHCP, and most likely the DVG-1120M is already configured for using DHCP
    to get the other parameters: so, probably all you have to do is, as you
    say, leave the DNS fields blank not to override the address values
    obtained with DHCP.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Feb 24, 2006

  3. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > The details depend on the device you are using as router, and the protocol
    > used by the ISP to supply IP address and other parameters (default
    > gateway, netmask, and, indeed, DNS servers addresses). I'm not familiar
    > with either the D-Link DVG-1120M or Comcast, but I guess the latter uses
    > DHCP, and most likely the DVG-1120M is already configured for using DHCP
    > to get the other parameters: so, probably all you have to do is, as you
    > say, leave the DNS fields blank not to override the address values
    > obtained with DHCP.
    >
    > Enzo

    Funny thing is that the D-Link will not accept "blank", only 0.0.0.0.

    But yes, ATA and router and PC all use DHCP (daisy changed) but it is
    that ATA that is the connection to comcast.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 24, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    >
    >> The details depend on the device you are using as router, and the
    >> protocol
    >> used by the ISP to supply IP address and other parameters (default
    >> gateway, netmask, and, indeed, DNS servers addresses). I'm not familiar
    >> with either the D-Link DVG-1120M or Comcast, but I guess the latter uses
    >> DHCP, and most likely the DVG-1120M is already configured for using DHCP
    >> to get the other parameters: so, probably all you have to do is, as you
    >> say, leave the DNS fields blank not to override the address values
    >> obtained with DHCP.
    >>
    >> Enzo

    > Funny thing is that the D-Link will not accept "blank", only 0.0.0.0.
    >
    > But yes, ATA and router and PC all use DHCP (daisy changed) but it is
    > that ATA that is the connection to comcast.
    > Try 0.0.0.0 as a placeholder.

    It worked! 0.0.0.0=>ATA save and reboot; pwr cycle router;
    release/renew on PC and voila, new DNS addresses!

    In NE I'm seeing
    dns1: 68.87.71.226 - 10 hops (was 17!)
    dns2: 68.87.73.242 - 19 hops (was 13 when using 4.2.2.4/3)

    Rick Merrill, Feb 24, 2006