DNS Server Addresses

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David Barker, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. David Barker

    David Barker Guest

    Hi can you please list the ip adresses of the primary and secondary dns
    servers for btinternet broadband access.
    The reason for this is my router a safcom 4114 keeps loosing the dns
    servers so i want to hard code them into my tcp-ip settings.

    typing nslookup gets me this....

    nslookup news bbc.co.uk

    C:\>nslookup news.bbc.co.uk
    *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 10.0.0.2

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
    Address: 212.58.226.30
    Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk

    C:\>

    Thanks

    David Barker

    David Barker, Feb 7, 2005

  2. David Barker

    SwissTony Guest

    "David Barker" <> wrote in message
    > Hi can you please list the ip adresses of the primary and secondary dns
    > servers for btinternet broadband access.
    > The reason for this is my router a safcom 4114 keeps loosing the dns
    > servers so i want to hard code them into my tcp-ip settings.
    >
    > typing nslookup gets me this....
    >
    > nslookup news bbc.co.uk
    >
    > C:\>nslookup news.bbc.co.uk
    > *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent domain
    > *** Default servers are not available
    > Server: UnKnown
    > Address: 10.0.0.2
    >
    > Non-authoritative answer:
    > Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
    > Address: 212.58.226.30
    > Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk
    >

    > C:\>
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > David Barker

    looking on a few sites, i think these are the correct ones
    194.74.65.68
    194.74.65.69

    If not here are loads some others
    BTO
    213.120.62.97
    213.120.62.98
    213.120.62.99
    213.120.62.100
    213.120.62.101
    213.120.62.102
    213.120.62.103
    213.120.62.104

    BT Click
    194.72.6.51
    194.72.6.52
    194.72.6.57
    193.113.212.38

    BT Internet
    194.73.73.94
    194.73.73.95

    Others
    193.113.185.227
    193.113.185.228
    193.113.185.229
    193.113.185.230

    SwissTony, Feb 7, 2005

  3. David Barker

    Vanguard Guest

    > Hi can you please list the ip adresses of the primary and secondary
    > dns servers for btinternet broadband access.
    > The reason for this is my router a safcom 4114 keeps loosing the dns
    > servers so i want to hard code them into my tcp-ip settings.
    >
    > typing nslookup gets me this....
    >
    > nslookup news bbc.co.uk
    >
    > C:\>nslookup news.bbc.co.uk
    > *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent domain
    > *** Default servers are not available
    > Server: UnKnown
    > Address: 10.0.0.2
    >
    > Non-authoritative answer:
    > Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
    > Address: 212.58.226.30
    > Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk

    According to the WhoIs domain registration for btinternet.com, they list
    the following nameservers (which are the same ones returned from a dig):

    DNS1.BTINTERNET.COM 194.73.73.172
    DNS2.BTINTERNET.COM 194.73.73.173
    DNS3.BTINTERNET.COM 217.32.252.225
    DNS4.BTINTERNET.COM 217.32.252.25

    An nslookup on each of the above IP names shows the listed IP addresses
    are correct. However, the NNTP-Posting-Host in your post shows you at
    "host81-154-141-182.range81-154.btcentralplus.com" where you are on
    btcentralplus.com has a dig turn up:

    ns20.bt.net A (Address) 194.72.6.99
    ns21.bt.net A (Address) 217.35.209.187

    which differs from the btcentralplus.com's domain registration which
    shows their nameservers are:

    NS0.BT.NET 217.32.105.90
    NS1.BT.NET 217.32.105.91

    You could, after all, just go look on your router's configuration web
    page to see what *it* got assigned by your ISP'S DHCP server for the
    primary and secondary DNS server IP addresses. Also, it is highly
    unlikely that your *router* was designed to run as a DNS server. Even
    if you run your own DNS server, it is authoritative only for the hosts
    within your own domain and any DNS lookup requests for hosts outside
    your intranetwork will still be non-authoritative since the DNS request
    has to be resolved from some external upstream DNS server. Normally
    your router's DHCP server will assign to your computer its IP address as
    the DNS server but all it really does is fail the request and pass off
    the DNS request to whatever DNS server was configured for it by your
    ISP's DHCP server. That's why you get the non-authoritative response
    because your router is not the authoritative DNS server supplying the
    response but instead emulates a failed lookup and passes in onto the
    next upstream DNS server. Your router might even provide a cache of DNS
    requests but still it is getting the requests resolved by using some
    upstream DNS server. Since the router isn't a DNS server, it will never
    be the authoritative responder and always has to pass on the DNS request
    to an upstream DNS server. Sounds like your router is working
    correctly. If you configure your computer to use the IP addresses of
    your ISP's DNS servers rather than use the IP addresses provided by the
    DHCP server in your router, you might still get a non-authoritative
    response: if the DNS server you specified doesn't have a record then it
    has to pass it on up so the eventual response it returns will be
    non-authoritative. It depends on what IP address for which DNS server
    that you specify.

    You ISP probably has DNS servers situated in your area where you connect
    to provide some load balancing. They probably don't want their
    customers slamming their primary nameservers. So browse to your router
    and see what IP addresses it got assigned for DNS servers by your ISP's
    DHCP server, and use those. It is likely that the DNS servers assigned
    by your ISP aren't authoritative servers, either, other than for hosts
    within the ISP's own domain, so you will still end up with their DNS
    server failing the request and then passing it up to the next one; see
    http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/dns-static.htm. Folks over at
    comp.protocols.dns.std can probably give a more exact answer as to what
    is a non-authoritative response to a DNS request.

    Vanguard, Feb 7, 2005