DNS Resolution Fails with Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by KWalsh125, May 26, 2009.

  1. KWalsh125

    KWalsh125 Guest

    I have laptop that was just rebuilt last week and worked fine acessing the
    internet. Today I powered up and the system is unable to resolve DNS
    addresses. If I plug into the router directly it resolves the addresses just
    fine. I can ping addresses by IP Address only.

    I have a few other laptops connecting to the wireless network and they are
    all resolving addresses correctly. I tried applying other public DNS servers
    such as 65.106.1.196 to the wireless adapter and it fails.

    I have done the following so far:
    * removed all the adapters and reinstalled the wireless
    * Repaired the connection
    * Ipconfig /flushdns - Ipconfig /registerdns
    * Applied other good public IP addresses.

    I appreciate any help you can give me.

    Ken

    KWalsh125, May 26, 2009

  2. KWalsh125

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Switch Off the wired connection and set the Wireless to Auto Obtain IP, and
    DNS.
    Run ipconfig.exe and make sure that the Wireless gets valid IP, and it DNS
    and gateways are the core IP of the Router.
    Otherwise if you are running WinXP try this process,
    http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    For Vista
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...ndows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 26, 2009

  3. KWalsh125

    WORLDe Guest

    Ken, I am having a similar issue, but it started occurring only after I
    installed XP SP3 update.
    I can get to www.google.com by typing in the IP, but not the FQDN.

    Hopefully someone has come across this and can help us both out.

    By the way, Ive had 3 other laptops with the same problem. I got so
    frustrated that I went ahead and put Vista on them.

    Hopefully there is some resolution to this.

    WORLDe, May 27, 2009
  4. WORLDe wrote:
    > Ken, I am having a similar issue, but it started occurring only after I
    > installed XP SP3 update.
    > I can get to www.google.com by typing in the IP, but not the FQDN.
    >
    > Hopefully someone has come across this and can help us both out.
    >
    > By the way, Ive had 3 other laptops with the same problem. I got so
    > frustrated that I went ahead and put Vista on them.
    >
    > Hopefully there is some resolution to this.
    >

    > "KWalsh125" wrote:
    >
    >> I have laptop that was just rebuilt last week and worked fine acessing the
    >> internet. Today I powered up and the system is unable to resolve DNS
    >> addresses. If I plug into the router directly it resolves the addresses just
    >> fine. I can ping addresses by IP Address only.
    >>
    >> I have a few other laptops connecting to the wireless network and they are
    >> all resolving addresses correctly. I tried applying other public DNS servers
    >> such as 65.106.1.196 to the wireless adapter and it fails.
    >>
    >> I have done the following so far:
    >> * removed all the adapters and reinstalled the wireless
    >> * Repaired the connection
    >> * Ipconfig /flushdns - Ipconfig /registerdns
    >> * Applied other good public IP addresses.
    >>
    >> I appreciate any help you can give me.
    >>
    >> Ken

    May not help your situation much, but I'm typing this on an XP SP3
    machine, fully updated, over a wireless link. No DNS problems.

    Phil, London

    Philip Herlihy, May 27, 2009
  5. KWalsh125

    WORLDe Guest

    Phil,
    did you download the update through Automatic Updates?

    WORLDe, May 27, 2009
  6. WORLDe wrote:
    > Phil,
    > did you download the update through Automatic Updates?
    >
    > "Philip Herlihy" wrote:
    >
    >> WORLDe wrote:
    >>> Ken, I am having a similar issue, but it started occurring only after I
    >>> installed XP SP3 update.
    >>> I can get to www.google.com by typing in the IP, but not the FQDN.
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully someone has come across this and can help us both out.
    >>>
    >>> By the way, Ive had 3 other laptops with the same problem. I got so
    >>> frustrated that I went ahead and put Vista on them.
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully there is some resolution to this.

    >> May not help your situation much, but I'm typing this on an XP SP3
    >> machine, fully updated, over a wireless link. No DNS problems.
    >>
    >> Phil, London

    Can't remember for SP3. Others since, yes.

    Phil

    Philip Herlihy, May 27, 2009
  7. KWalsh125

    KWalsh125 Guest

    I have SP3 installed on the laptop as well but it was built into the XP
    install. I was hoping the XP Winsock fix would do the trick but
    unfortunately it didn't.

    I added a sprint wi-fi card yesterday and that works fine. I'm about out of
    ideas here.

    KWalsh125, May 29, 2009
  8. KWalsh125

    parakems Guest