DNS recursion question while studying for 70-293

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Kevin Porter, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. Kevin Porter

    Kevin Porter Guest

    Ok, I think I understand that if I have a server with a couple of forwarders
    configured and recursion disabled, it will query the servers listed as
    forwarders and then return a negative if it can't resolve the query with the
    forwarders.

    My question is about the servers that are queried as forwarders (DNS B & C): if
    those servers do not have recursion disabled, will they use recursion to answer
    the query? Or is there something special about the query that tells the servers
    to only answer if they themselves know the answer or are authoratative?

    (forwarders)
    workstation -> DNS A ----- DNS B
    \
    \---DNS C

    Thanks - Kevin
    Kevin Porter, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Kevin Porter

    Wayne Guest

    "Kevin Porter" <> wrote in message

    > Ok, I think I understand that if I have a server with a couple of
    > forwarders
    > configured and recursion disabled, it will query the servers listed as
    > forwarders and then return a negative if it can't resolve the query with
    > the
    > forwarders.
    >
    > My question is about the servers that are queried as forwarders (DNS B &
    > C): if
    > those servers do not have recursion disabled, will they use recursion to
    > answer
    > the query? Or is there something special about the query that tells the
    > servers
    > to only answer if they themselves know the answer or are authoratative?
    >

    > (forwarders)
    > workstation -> DNS A ----- DNS B
    > \
    > \---DNS C
    >

    > Thanks - Kevin

    G'day Kevin,
    go to Google and type in the following (minus quotes) "dns forwarding and
    recursion windows server 2003 site:microsoft.com" . Do some reading and
    research, try disabling recursion and then enable forwarding, play a bit,
    read some more and then ask us if you still don't quite understand.

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCNGP Silver
    Wayne, Mar 18, 2006