DNS problem. dig, nslookup experts?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nicely toasted, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites - these
    sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the internet seems
    inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my machines (2 Windows, 1
    Linux)

    I'm a Paradise.net broadband cable user in Wellington. I cant ping any of
    these other sites, it returns "unknown host...". This is all pointing to a
    DNS problem to me, but talking to the Paradise support guys, they've
    indicated everything is fine at their end (roll eyes).

    Below is the output of dig when I try to access a working site (cnn.com) and
    inaccessible site (xbox-scene.com).

    Do we have any experts on 'dig' that can provide any feedback on this
    output? Is it a problem at my end?
    Thanks.

    [test01@noddysrv test01]# dig xbox-scene.com

    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> xbox-scene.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 13499
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;xbox-scene.com. IN A

    ;; Query time: 18 msec
    ;; SERVER: 203.96.152.12#53(203.96.152.12)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Nov 13 08:17:33 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 32

    [root@noddysrv root]# dig cnn.com

    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> cnn.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;cnn.com. IN A

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.24.20
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.24.28
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.29.120
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.16.20
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.16.52
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.16.84
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.16.116
    cnn.com. 103 IN A 64.236.24.12

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    cnn.com. 403 IN NS twdns-04.ns.aol.com.
    cnn.com. 403 IN NS twdns-01.ns.aol.com.
    cnn.com. 403 IN NS twdns-02.ns.aol.com.
    cnn.com. 403 IN NS twdns-03.ns.aol.com.

    ;; Query time: 16 msec
    ;; SERVER: 203.96.152.12#53(203.96.152.12)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Nov 13 08:21:45 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 252

    nicely toasted, Nov 12, 2006

  2. "nicely toasted" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    > connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites - these
    > sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the internet seems
    > inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my machines (2 Windows, 1
    > Linux)
    >
    > I'm a Paradise.net broadband cable user in Wellington. I cant ping any of
    > these other sites, it returns "unknown host...". This is all pointing to a
    > DNS problem to me, but talking to the Paradise support guys, they've
    > indicated everything is fine at their end (roll eyes).
    >
    > Below is the output of dig when I try to access a working site (cnn.com)
    > and inaccessible site (xbox-scene.com).
    >
    > Do we have any experts on 'dig' that can provide any feedback on this
    > output? Is it a problem at my end?
    > Thanks.

    Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    nicely toasted, Nov 12, 2006

  3. nicely toasted

    Enkidu Guest

    nicely toasted wrote:
    > "nicely toasted" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    >> connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites - these
    >> sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the internet seems
    >> inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my machines (2 Windows, 1
    >> Linux)
    >>
    >> I'm a Paradise.net broadband cable user in Wellington. I cant ping any of
    >> these other sites, it returns "unknown host...". This is all pointing to a
    >> DNS problem to me, but talking to the Paradise support guys, they've
    >> indicated everything is fine at their end (roll eyes).
    >>
    >> Below is the output of dig when I try to access a working site (cnn.com)
    >> and inaccessible site (xbox-scene.com).
    >>
    >> Do we have any experts on 'dig' that can provide any feedback on this
    >> output? Is it a problem at my end?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    Go to another ISP's home page, find out the IPs of their DNS servers and
    use those. You don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 12, 2006
  4. nicely toasted

    Earl Grey Guest

    nicely toasted wrote:
    > "nicely toasted" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    >> connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites - these
    >> sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the internet seems
    >> inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my machines (2 Windows, 1
    >> Linux)
    >>
    >> I'm a Paradise.net broadband cable user in Wellington. I cant ping any of
    >> these other sites, it returns "unknown host...". This is all pointing to a
    >> DNS problem to me, but talking to the Paradise support guys, they've
    >> indicated everything is fine at their end (roll eyes).
    >>
    >> Below is the output of dig when I try to access a working site (cnn.com)
    >> and inaccessible site (xbox-scene.com).
    >>
    >> Do we have any experts on 'dig' that can provide any feedback on this
    >> output? Is it a problem at my end?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    FWIW /. is working for me on paradise cable, so is xbox-scene.com

    Earl Grey, Nov 12, 2006
  5. nicely toasted

    Tony Guest

    >> Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    > Go to another ISP's home page, find out the IPs of their DNS servers and
    > use those. You don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers.
    >
    > Cheers,

    You can't do that any more, virtually all ISP's have locked down their
    DNS servers

    Tony, Nov 12, 2006
  6. "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:455799fa$...
    > nicely toasted wrote:
    >> "nicely toasted" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    >>> connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites - these
    >>> sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the internet
    >>> seems inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my machines (2
    >>> Windows, 1 Linux)
    >>>
    >>> I'm a Paradise.net broadband cable user in Wellington. I cant ping any
    >>> of these other sites, it returns "unknown host...". This is all pointing
    >>> to a DNS problem to me, but talking to the Paradise support guys,
    >>> they've indicated everything is fine at their end (roll eyes).
    >>>
    >>> Below is the output of dig when I try to access a working site (cnn.com)
    >>> and inaccessible site (xbox-scene.com).
    >>>
    >>> Do we have any experts on 'dig' that can provide any feedback on this
    >>> output? Is it a problem at my end?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    > FWIW /. is working for me on paradise cable, so is xbox-scene.com

    Thanks for the confirmation of it working. Its also working me now. It
    started working about half an hour after I posted my original message. I'm
    sure it was something flakey at the paradise end, but I'll never know now...

    nicely toasted, Nov 12, 2006
  7. nicely toasted

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4557a655$>, says...
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:455799fa$...
    > > nicely toasted wrote:
    > >> "nicely toasted" <> wrote in message

    > >> Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    > > FWIW /. is working for me on paradise cable, so is xbox-scene.com

    > Thanks for the confirmation of it working. Its also working me now. It
    > started working about half an hour after I posted my original message. I'm
    > sure it was something flakey at the paradise end, but I'll never know now...

    I'd say you're right. I logged a call with them last night -
    *everything* stopped working. Then intermittently came back - all back
    to normal this morning. The guy I spoke to of course said he could ping
    my modem, no problems reported on my cable node (ChCh) - and basically
    it was probably a problem my end - which I convinced him it was NOT.

    Of course the first two questions he asked, have you restarted the PC
    and have you restarted the cable modem. Then at the end of the call, he
    mentioned that I should *not* have restarted the cable modem (although
    he asked me to at the beginning) as he could not see the logs anymore.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 13, 2006
  8. nicely toasted

    Martin Guest

    > I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    > connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites - these
    > sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the internet seems
    > inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my machines (2 Windows, 1
    > Linux)

    Just for furture USENET ref here is a list of NZ DNS servers and 1 US one I
    use for testing:

    XTRA 202.27.158.40 202.27.156.72
    IHUG 203.0.178.191 203.109.252.8
    CLEAR 203.97.33.1 203.97.37.1
    ICONZ 210.48.65.1 210.48.66.1
    ORCON 210.55.12.1 210.55.12.2
    WAVE 203.96.216.7 202.49.46.7
    SLINGSHOT 202.180.64.9 202.180.64.2
    ACTRIX 203.96.16.35 203.96.16.36
    PARADISE 203.96.152.4 203.96.152.12

    VERIZON (US) 4.2.2.2

    Martin, Nov 13, 2006
  9. > Just for furture USENET ref here is a list of NZ DNS servers and 1 US one
    > I use for testing:

    Orcon's should be 60.234.1.1 and 60.234.2.2

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Nov 13, 2006
  10. nicely toasted

    Enkidu Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >>> Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    >> Go to another ISP's home page, find out the IPs of their DNS servers
    >> and use those. You don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers.

    > You can't do that any more, virtually all ISP's have locked down their
    > DNS servers

    That's funny. I just did a DNS lookup on Xtra (alien.xtra.co.nz) and
    Clear (dns1.clear.net.nz) and it worked. The name I looked up was not in
    either DNS.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 13, 2006
  11. nicely toasted

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:27:48 +1300, Tony
    <> exclaimed:

    >>> Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    >> Go to another ISP's home page, find out the IPs of their DNS servers and
    >> use those. You don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>

    >You can't do that any more, virtually all ISP's have locked down their
    >DNS servers

    Huh?

    I haven't found one yet that has "locked down their DNS Servers". Sure
    you're not thinking of SMTP or POP3 servers?

    We routine use multiple ISP's DNS servers when setting up networks, to
    protect against outage (their own ISPs, then a randomly chosen
    alternative ISP's, so that if they both go down we wont be flooded
    with support calls from every client). We've yet to find a problem
    when testing.

    Fred Dagg, Nov 13, 2006
  12. nicely toasted

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: [Paradise.net] DNS problem. dig, nslookup experts?

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:28:58 +1300, in message <>,
    nicely toasted wrote:

    > I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    > connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites - these
    > sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the internet seems
    > inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my machines (2 Windows, 1
    > Linux)
    >
    > I'm a Paradise.net broadband cable user in Wellington.

    It is a Paradise.net problem. It doesn't affect people on other ISPs,
    not even those on Clear (who own Paradise.net)

    I encountered it at 5am this morning. Found that paradise's DNS had suddenly
    stopped working, bit others (such as Clears) were OK.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Nov 13, 2006
  13. nicely toasted

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "nicely toasted" <> wrote in news::

    > I'm having an odd problem with my internet this morning. My internet
    > connection seems to be working, but I can only get to some sites -
    > these sites seem to be ones I visited last night. The rest of the
    > internet seems inaccessable. This is the case from all three of my
    > machines (2 Windows, 1 Linux)

    If you don't have caching DNS on your router, than try an
    ipconfig /flushdns

    If you don't know what this means, then google it later.
    Personally, I set the dns service to manual on my XP box.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 13, 2006
  14. nicely toasted

    Shane Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >>> Argh - I cant get to slashdot.org for my morning fix!

    >> Go to another ISP's home page, find out the IPs of their DNS servers and
    >> use those. You don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>

    > You can't do that any more, virtually all ISP's have locked down their
    > DNS servers

    Yeah I remember the discovery of some vuln (or was it a DDoS?)that caused
    the recommendation of such a policy, I also recall Telecom/Xtra announcing
    the implementation of such a policy on a certain [public] mailing list,
    but.. it was never put in place

    I dont know why not, just never happened

    --
    Leela: Yep, it's Ocean Madness all right.
    Professor Farnsworth: Fry may have Ocean Madness, but that's no excuse for

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Nov 13, 2006
  15. nicely toasted

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote in news:MPG.1fc292a4a4094902989683
    @news.paradise.net.nz:

    > Of course the first two questions he asked, have you restarted the PC
    > and have you restarted the cable modem. Then at the end of the call, he
    > mentioned that I should *not* have restarted the cable modem (although
    > he asked me to at the beginning) as he could not see the logs anymore.

    Classic.

    It is important to remember that the cable modem does have stats and
    something called, I think, "Traps" and "Filters". If your unplug the modem
    from the wall, these get reset to default (or used to anyways). When the
    modem has been running for a while, there is good technical info in there
    for the cable company to look at. Stuff like how healthy is the physical
    wire to the modem, is there a gradual problem... Ask them to copy that
    stuff off, before you restart it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 13, 2006
  16. nicely toasted

    Tony Guest

    > Huh?
    >
    > I haven't found one yet that has "locked down their DNS Servers". Sure
    > you're not thinking of SMTP or POP3 servers?
    >
    > We routine use multiple ISP's DNS servers when setting up networks, to
    > protect against outage (their own ISPs, then a randomly chosen
    > alternative ISP's, so that if they both go down we wont be flooded
    > with support calls from every client). We've yet to find a problem
    > when testing.

    Well, when they stop working don't say you weren't warned.

    Tony, Nov 13, 2006
  17. nicely toasted

    Lonney Guest

    This is a list I threw together a few weeks ago as I got fed up with
    there not being a list of ISP DNS servers floating around/

    New Zealand ISP DNS Server List

    ISP Primary Secondary

    Clear 203.97.33.14 203.97.37.14
    ICONZ 210.48.65.2 210.48.66.2
    IHUG 203.109.252.42 203.109.252.43
    Maxnet 210.55.105.193 210.55.230.1 209.123.221.169
    Paradise 203.96.152.4 203.96.152.12
    Orcon 60.234.1.1 60.234.2.2
    Slingshot 202.180.64.9 202.180.64.2
    Xnet 58.28.4.2 58.28.6.2
    Xtra 202.27.184.3 202.27.184.5

    Lonney, Nov 13, 2006
  18. nicely toasted

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:07:45 +1300, Tony
    <> exclaimed:

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> I haven't found one yet that has "locked down their DNS Servers". Sure
    >> you're not thinking of SMTP or POP3 servers?
    >>
    >> We routine use multiple ISP's DNS servers when setting up networks, to
    >> protect against outage (their own ISPs, then a randomly chosen
    >> alternative ISP's, so that if they both go down we wont be flooded
    >> with support calls from every client). We've yet to find a problem
    >> when testing.

    >Well, when they stop working don't say you weren't warned.

    Well, limiting access to DNS servers would break the internet. There
    needs to be access backwards and forwards for the DNS system to work
    correctly. Sure, you could split out ISP client DNS and ISP hosting
    DNS servers, but what would be the point?

    Fred Dagg, Nov 13, 2006
  19. In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Well, limiting access to DNS servers would break the internet.

    Not necessarily. Authoritative servers have to allow all queries for the
    domains that they're authoritatve for. But caching servers (like those run
    by ISPs for their customers) could be set up to ignore queries from anybody
    outside a specified pool of IP addresses.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2006
  20. In message <>, nicely toasted wrote:

    > Below is the output of dig when I try to access a working site (cnn.com)
    > and inaccessible site (xbox-scene.com).

    Looking at the man page for dig, it mentions the "+nssearch" and "+trace"
    options. When you use these, it ignores your ISP's caching name servers and
    does the lookup starting directly from the root servers. If that works,
    then the problem obviously lies closer to you or your ISP.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2006