dns/nslookup not working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kevin Phelan, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Kevin Phelan

    Kevin Phelan Guest

    I am running windows xp-sp1.

    A few days ago I installed adaware-se and did a full scan of my machine.
    When I started the scan, an important windows process was terminated and the
    system had to reboot before the scan completed. Eventually I got the scan
    to complete. It identified maybe 400 objects it considered for cleaning. I
    cleaned them all. I then ran a full virus scan mcafee. It found about a
    dozen objects that it cleaned.

    Anyway, ever since then, when I connect to the internet (via dialup), all
    dns lookups fail. I can ping other computers, but whenever I try to ping
    with a hostname, it fails to find the ip address.

    Other info:
    ipconfig tells me that my DNS's are: 209.244.0.3 and 209.244.0.4

    Here is the output from nslookup:
    >nslookup

    *** Can't find server name for address 209.244.0.3: No response from server
    *** Can't find server name for address 209.244.0.4: No response from server
    *** Default servers are not available
    Default Server: UnKnown
    Address: 209.244.0.3

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Kevin

    Kevin Phelan, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Kevin Phelan

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Kevin Phelan" <> wrote in message
    > I am running windows xp-sp1.
    >
    > A few days ago I installed adaware-se and did a full scan of my machine.
    > When I started the scan, an important windows process was terminated and

    the
    > system had to reboot before the scan completed. Eventually I got the scan
    > to complete. It identified maybe 400 objects it considered for cleaning.

    > cleaned them all. I then ran a full virus scan mcafee. It found about a
    > dozen objects that it cleaned.
    >
    > Anyway, ever since then, when I connect to the internet (via dialup), all
    > dns lookups fail. I can ping other computers, but whenever I try to ping
    > with a hostname, it fails to find the ip address.
    >

    > Other info:
    > ipconfig tells me that my DNS's are: 209.244.0.3 and 209.244.0.4
    >
    > Here is the output from nslookup:
    > >nslookup

    > *** Can't find server name for address 209.244.0.3: No response from

    server
    > *** Can't find server name for address 209.244.0.4: No response from

    server
    > *** Default servers are not available
    > Default Server: UnKnown
    > Address: 209.244.0.3
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin

    if you have a firewall, disable it and try pinging your dns server.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Dec 7, 2004