DNS not working - Windows 98

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Stephen Williams, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.

    Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
    DNS no longer works :(

    Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
    a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
    up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
    strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
    on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
    accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.

    Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
    then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
    TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
    component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
    Still not working.

    No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware programs
    are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
    2003.

    Any ideas?

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Stephen Williams

    Tim Guest

    When you dial in (if you can), does winipcfg.exe show sensible stuff? IE ISP
    assigned IP Address, DNS, Gateway?

    If DNS is not working the first parameter to look at would be the default
    gateway address (? has to be right anyway) and ISP assigned DNS addresses.

    Does IE have anything odd in its tools / options / connection page? If it
    does, then you still have spyware. Some spyware will configure a nasty proxy
    address in there that absolutely stuffs things.

    (OK I see your tried this) You could try: noting your current config /
    devices, removing all from Networking, rebooting, adding it back in - this
    does sometimes resolve issues with IP.

    What spyware removers did you try? Some are spyware. There is some spyware
    that is rather difficult to eliminate...

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Stephen Williams

    EMB Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
    >
    > Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
    > DNS no longer works :(

    I can't remember what it was (but a google should find it) but there's a
    piece of spyware/virus/fscknasty that does just this, and IIRC it's a
    registry edit to sort it out. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's
    been a while since I had to fix it.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Stephen Williams

    Harry Guest

    Tim wrote:

    > When you dial in (if you can), does winipcfg.exe show sensible stuff? IE
    > ISP assigned IP Address, DNS, Gateway?
    >
    > If DNS is not working the first parameter to look at would be the default
    > gateway address (? has to be right anyway) and ISP assigned DNS addresses.

    No, for DNS the first parameter to look for would be whether DNS was enabled
    on the interface in question (TCP->nic)
    And the second would be the DNS server search order, provided that
    the server is on locally connected network and not via gateway.

    Harry, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Re: DNS not working - Windows 98 FIXED

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks to all who replied, problem solved.

    It was indeed some registry settings to delete

    http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Stephen Williams

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <yGS3d.4537$>,
    says...
    > Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
    >
    > Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
    > DNS no longer works :(
    >
    > Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
    > a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
    > up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
    > strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
    > on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
    > accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.
    >
    > Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
    > then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
    > TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
    > component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
    > Still not working.
    >
    > No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware programs
    > are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
    > 2003.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Been there done that - several times - to several 98 PC's. I'd
    reinstall the TCP/IP stack (google it, you'll find it, 'specially if you
    limit it to 'reinstall TCP/IP stack site:.microsoft.com' (hope it works
    for you). Otherwise, as it's only a 98 PC, consider a flatten and nu
    install :( The MS Security Update CD is then a neat step to bring the
    98 PC at least reasonably up to date state without having to dl them all
    and make yer own CD and willy nilly apply etc (that's the painful way,
    short of a highspeed connection and 'Windows Update').

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Stephen Williams

    steve Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:

    > Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
    >
    > Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
    > DNS no longer works :(

    I've had this happen before. It was related to the removal of the Nortel
    ExtraNet client......and after it was removed, I was without DNS....though
    PING would work fine.

    After pulling my hair out, and trying everything, I formatted and
    re-installed.

    That fixed it.

    But short of that, something, somewhere had been damaged or deleted nothiong
    short of a wipe/reload would fix it in a TIMELY fashion.

    From GO to WHOA, a completely re-install with apps and patches takes about 2
    hours.

    If you can't fix it in less than that.....start the backup and reload
    now. :)

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Sep 21, 2004
  8. Stephen Williams

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:40:23 +1200, "Stephen Williams" <>
    wrote:

    >Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
    >
    >Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
    >DNS no longer works :(
    >
    >Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
    >a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
    >up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
    >strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
    >on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
    >accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.

    This page may do the trick:

    http://www.uq.edu.au/ben/dialin_fixes.html

    Invisible, Sep 21, 2004
  9. Stephen Williams

    Graham Guest

    My guess is, go to Network settings & reconfigure your DNS settings.
    In my experience - as a possible explanation - HijackThis shows up the
    DNS setting as a possible nefarious, umm...thingie. If you delete this
    particular setting that it lists then networking won't work as your
    DNS setting is removed.

    Graham, Sep 21, 2004
  10. Stephen Williams

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
    >
    > Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
    > DNS no longer works :(
    >
    > Pinging out with actual IP addresses works fine. Trying to ping the name of
    > a web site always returns "Unknown host". Tried setting up a different dial
    > up account to another ISP, that produced the same results. There is nothing
    > strange in the settings anywhere. Both dial up accounts are not set to "log
    > on to network" and both only have TCP/IP as their specified protocol. Both
    > accounts pick up their ISPs DNS servers just fine, I am able to ping them.
    >
    > Have tried removing everything from the network settings, and restarting
    > then installing only Client For Microsoft Networks, Dial Up Adapter and
    > TCP/IP. Didn't help. Tried removing Dial Up Networking from the windows
    > component list, then reinsatlling it and all the network thingies again.
    > Still not working.
    >
    > No firewall of any sort is running, no anti-spyware or anti-adware programs
    > are loaded up, only thing running along those lines is Nortons Antivirus
    > 2003.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Steve

    This has happened as a result of removing some spyware; last time I ran
    into this, I had to roll back the system to an earlier restore point
    (was running XP).

    Try an Adaware addin called LSPfix; that may possibly identify the problem.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Sep 21, 2004
  11. Stephen Williams

    Rebel Lord Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Stephen Williams wrote:
    >> Got a computer here been running windows 98 for quite some time.
    >>
    >> Removed a few spyware and adware programs from it, now it would seem that
    >> DNS no longer works :(

    Try removing the whole dial-up network package and installing dun1.4 if you
    can get it from somewhere. The other thing to try is actually putting in
    your ISP's DNS and SNS numbers. You shouldn't have to I know but sometimes
    98 gets picky like that.

    Rebel Lord, Sep 22, 2004