DNS, NAT and ASA5510

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by StefanoN@infotronics.com, May 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm setting up an ASA5510 with 1 public IP address on the outside
    interface. I've currently got all the internal hosts NATing out and I
    have several ports on the outside interface forwarding to specific
    hosts on the internal network. All this is working. I am currently
    trying to setup DNS rewrites. I have most of it working, but am having
    difficulties with some of it.

    Here's my current setup:

    Outside Interface:
    Assigned 200.10.10.1

    Internal Interface:
    Assigned 10.1.0.1

    Web server:
    Assigned 10.1.0.5

    FTP server:
    Assigned 10.1.0.6

    DNS server:
    Assigned 10.1.0.2
    DNS A record www.somedomain.com points to 10.1.0.5
    DNS A record ftp.somedomain.com points to 10.1.0.6

    The web server, ftp server and DNS server are on the internal network

    I have successfully issued this command:
    static (outside, inside) 10.1.0.5 200.10.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.255
    dns

    >From a client on the outside network, a DNS query for

    www.somedomain.com returns 200.10.10.1 as desired.

    I would like a DNS query for ftp.somedomain.com to return the same
    address, but when I issued this command:

    static (outside, inside) 10.1.0.6 200.10.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.255
    dns

    I get an error stating that there is a duplicate of an existing static.

    How can I get DNS rewrite to modify to different internal IP addresses
    to the same outside address?
    , May 22, 2006